stupid question..

I am taking my pattern for this new bag with me the day I help monique pack her house. if I get help with the pattern does that mean I should know how to use any other pattern that I buy. I found about 6 patterns all different kinds of handbags that I want to make. so,before I buy them I would like to know. Also my sister in law is coming to show me how to make bags with sheets. do you think I need to double the fabric? of should that be good enough for a shopping bag. I am talking about the kind you shop with instead of plastic. but not the square the one shaped with a half moon on the bottom. thanks
I don't understand why you are having such a problem. Patterns have directions with them. If you can't find the directions that diagrams your pattern how the pieces fit together, then your pattern isn't complete. Any pattern that you buy new will have directions on a separate sheet of paper. It will be in words and also diagrammed. So if the pattern is complete and you can read (I know you can read) you can work a pattern. However if you get a used pattern, there is no guarantee that the pattern is complete with directions.
If you are going to make shopping bags, it makes sense to make them durable. If they are too thin, it wouldn't be worth buying cause they will wear out in time carrying any heavy items. When you buy fabric it is already doubled. It's done this way so you have identical front and back pieces.
@MsTickle (24991)
If they are bags for carrying shopping, yes, I would double the fabric and double stitch as well to make them ever so strong. The bags will become grubby too and need to be washed so the stronger they are, the better they will last. Price them right and folk will bnuy 6 or more at a time. YAY!
I think the bag(type you shop with instead of plastic)should be doubled. Sheet material is rather thin in most cases unless you have the real expensive type.
Yes I feel you should know how to read a pattern. The type of patterns you should look for are called Simplicity. Simplicity is easy to follow and gives step by step instructions. I use simplicity when I am making things because they are simple. Simplicity has a web site where you can email them questions and they will answer. I remember my teacher telling me once she bought a pattern and the pattern was missing a page and simplicity sent her the corrected pattern for free.
@sid556 (31006)
ALL patterns are different. knowing the terminoligy and various techniques will help you to figure out other patterns on your own. your SIL should really be able to help you with this.