Going from part-time to full-time

I will be going from part-time to full-time starting next week. I'm looking forward to the extra hours and paycheck, but not looking forward to spending less time for me lol There was always two days of the week where I had some "me" time, where I exercised at the gym or went for a run, where I watched MY tv programs or movies on Netflix, read a book, or just lazed about at home, with no-one else around. I loved that time and I feel I'm going lose it altogether. How did you feel when you went from part-time to full-time? How did you make extra time for yourself?
@CatGods (4596)
Congrats on the additional income. For me that was a very long time ago. When I use to work out of the home and went from part time to full time, at first I was really happy because I had more money. Then after a while I wasn't so happy because all the things I like to do, I didn't have much time for. That's when I said, I'm going to totally work from home and I started making the transition. For me, there's nothing like it. But working from home is not for every one. Believe me, I put in the hours, but then again it's my projects that I'm working on. And now I have time for the things I want to do because I incorporate them in my work. I like creating, selling, writing, marketing, art, and so on. It's just stuff I work on every day. Some times I take a day off or a weekend and watch movies or read a book. Now that it's starting to get nicer out, I'll be out side more often, most likely just chillin.
Thank you. I am happy that I've been able to go from PT to FT, but know that my days will be longer and i'm expected to work weekends. It's something I don't mind doing since we need the extra $$$ but at the same time, I may just have to wake up early and set aside some time for me in the mornings, before I actually get ready for work. Congrats on being able to work from home! That's awesome. I wish I had the know how to be able to do that. Good luck!
@CatGods (4596)
I'm willing to help any way I can. If you want to work from home, you can, but in order to make a smooth transition, unfortunately you will be putting additional hours above and beyond your out of home job. I had to make personal me time sacrifices when I was making my transition, but I kept reminding myself of the reward at the end.
when I went from part time to full time, I'm really happy because I know that I can earn more money but at the same time , i'm also sad because my time for myself and my free time will be lost that I just need to focus on my job. I make extra income for myself by putting a business , it's an online facebook on facebook and also this my Lot and also NTRUST .
good for you sheikahmay. what type of business do you own?
it's an online business in facebook. it's a retail business. Which I sell blouses, pants and other stuffs :)
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
A jobs have their pluses and minuses. Im sure the extra money will be great for you. Take care there.
I'm sure it will. Thanks mariaperalta!
• Mexico
Just make sure you have a plan on how to invest or spend all that extra mula...
Won't be spending any of it as it will all go to our debt and saving for our sons college.
@hushi22 (4941)
I think as long as you have a fixed time of the number of hours for your work you should have a 'me' time. When I went full time before, I still had my own time to relax and enjoy like even for lunch. Once, I attended a seminar and the speaker said that even if you have a very hectic schedule in your work, you should always find that time (can be break time or lunch time) to sit back, relax, and enjoy what you are doing - eg, eating. Take it easy and cherish it. But aside from that I did watch a lot of movies pretty much every day when I got home after work.
Yup, lunch times can be me times too! Great idea. I need to take time out during the day and just enjoy my food and relax.
@echomonster (2227)
• Greenwood, Mississippi
I think it's normal to feel the way you're feeling. Basically, you're trading your time for more money. That involves a real sacrifice. Maybe one day you'll be able to work part-time for a full-time income...that's my dream! I think that's a big part of what attracts many of us to earning money online.
that would be so great working part time but getting paid a full time wage hehe. Working from home would be awesome too.
@julyteen (13258)
• Davao, Philippines
Your time management play the major role in your daily life while having a fulltime job. Unlike part time you have a long time to rest.
Great point julyteen. Time management and planning will definitely come into play. I may just have to make time for some "me" time even if its just a couple of mins a day!
@julyteen (13258)
• Davao, Philippines
You should have a right schedule everyday so that you can cope up all your daily activities and routine
• Serbia
I didnt. The extra time was couple of hours after work spent on my computer, and sleeping after that... Or going out after work, coming back home, and sleeping soon after. I've been working since i was 13 years old, actively on a daily basis since i was 15, sometimes even 2 jobs at a time. And i have grown to hate working, im 23 years old now. So im giving it my all to manage to make at least 800+ dollars a month on-line. If i can manage that, i can live, and slowly slowly, work on it and raise that amount. At that point i can say kiss my a$$ to working for others to make money, and enjoy myself, even if that means never leaving the house, i dont care as long as i dont have to work for anyone that i have to be nice to because they pay me and have to put up with their mood swings and mommy issues... Well the internet saved me once, health wise, so i take it as a sign, it has gotta work... Anyway, congratz... :)
Good for you. That's a great amount of money to be earning online. What is it that you actually do if you don't mind me asking?
I have never had a job where I went from part time to full time but I am sure you will adjust and find some time for yourself.
I'm sure I will too sharlahodges. Like some others have mentioned, time management and planning will definitely help! Thanks!
I also wanna to go full time but i did not think that i can earn proper money online. The earning rate is so slow if we earn online money till now i am not success to earn online. but i hope you would be successfull. it is a great idea to move full time online if you really can earn.
I wish it was a FT online job but no, its not but that's ok! Maybe one day lo. Thanks for the comment!
@jenny1015 (13389)
It was a bit straining at first coz I have gotten used to such short hours then switched to an 8 hour job. It took a lot of patience, indeed. Well, thinking of how much I would earn from it gave me more of the boost to make my job better.
True that Jenny! Increase in pay is good, means more work hours I have to put in, but it will be worth it in the long run. Have to focus on the goals ive set myself up for the next three years, and this FT job will help with that. Thanks for your input!
It depends on the time frame of your full time job, i have a full time job also, but the time frame of my job is only 8 hours per day and only 5 days a week, so i still have much to enjoy my private life, when there is a sudden over time, still i can manage time for my self. I have a full time job before, that my work time is 12 hours a day and 7 days a week, so i decided to quit that job because i think i'm getting burned out, and i feel sick, not only that i don't have time for my self and for my family. Anyway congrats and good luck to your new time frame of your job.
Thanks jonastabuena. Its between 35-40 hours and mostly 9am-5pm with an occasional afternoon-evening shift. I know I will have a little time to myself just not as much as I've been use to. I may just have to wake up an hour earlier to get a workout in or something like that!
@scheng1 (24800)
Hi Maddysmummy, that is good. You will get paid vacation leave too, and probably health insurance and other fringe benefits. I think after a few years of hard work, you can work part time, and still have enough for a comfortable retirement. It is good to work hard for a few years, and save up for the future.
I was already getting those benefits as a part timer, but you're right. My vacation time will increase eventually too.
@ARIES1973 (9531)
• Legaspi, Philippines
That is certainly a good news! Having a full time job means having a fixed income. I personally have a full time ever since I started working after graduation. Now, I have both a full time and a part time so there is no much time for me to do other things. But on the other hand, having another source of income is also a good thing. Have a wonderful day!
I can't imagine working two jobs but I know of many who do. You musn't have much time for yourself but it sounds like you are happy in what your doing :D
I used to work on a flexible schedule. I had the time to send my daughter to school and exercise after that, before picking her up in the early afternoon. But since I started on full-time work schedule, I had no time to send her to school and I think we were both quite sad about it. This is primarily because my work starts very early. But on a different note, I have always started my day early. Now, I actually feel that I'm making full use of my time. But after a couple of months working 5-day work week, I decided to cut it down to 4-day work week, so that I could send my daughter to school for at least one day of the week. I think this arrangement is better for me. I still have a little bit of "me" time, but not much. I try to read while I commute to work. Sometimes, I get to jog in the evening instead. I think you need to think about what's suitable for you. That extra money you get is nothing if you are not happy.
At the moment, it's something I need to do. I started off on a flexible work schedule too and progressed from there, depending on my sons schedule and so forth. Now i have the opportunity to go full time which will help immensely with our finances. My goal is to get out of debt and become debt free within the next three years. It will be so worth it in the end. I'll just have to find time to squeeze in a little "me" time when I can. As long as I have that, i think I'll be ok for now :D
@TLilly12 (1230)
Well all I can say is Congratulation on you full time job,I work her online so I work full time everyday,and I take time off when I want to,but being that I have a goal I am trying to reach,I will be spending as much time, online as I possibly can, this is how I will earn my money, the more I work the more earnings, I will be able to make here online, and that is how I want things, right now I don't have, any time to take, off right now until, I go on my vacation, this summer, and I won't be taken any time off, until this June.
Thats great! What type of online work do you do, if you don't mind me asking?
@cutepenguin (6457)
I basically have very little time for myself. We don't have childcare, so one of us is always parenting while the other is at work. I take my time in small increments and have a night out once a week. Right now, it's not too bad because I like my work and my child is fairly well-behaved. I think it's important to be organized. It feels easier the weeks when we have a menu set and we've grocery shopped for all the things we need. If we keep up with the laundry then I'm not scrambling in the morning. It's the little things that add up. It helps that we each do about half of the housework and neither of us have complained that the house is generally messier than it was when I was only working 10 hours a week outside the home.
I will definitely have to become more organized and plan our meals for the week. Great idea. My husband is not domesticated lol and even though I've tried, he doesn't help out as much as I would like him to. Our house stays messy until I have enough energy to clean it. Some days are better than others though lol
@scubapro (1058)
• Gifu, Japan
i always wanna work full time if i can in japan,but its not so easy here. there are many part time jobs and if you are foreigner its not easy to work as a full timer,they dont trust you soon and first you can be arbaiter, it means part timer. i think if people can work full time,its good for their economic situation but it gives you less time to care yourself. i wish you can used to it and like your new situation peace..
It will be great financially for our family, so I am looking forward to it. Just not having that extra day off is what I'm going to miss.
@ajithlal (14568)
There are people who works around 12 to 15 hours a day. I also work some day heavily when the work flow is high. I think most times I try to adjust the time for other things on Sundays and when I have less work.