Pedestrians always have the right of way???

I have to get this off my back because it's been bugging me ever since I came home from picking up my daughter at school today. So I stopped at the stop sign to make a right turn. After I turned, there was this woman running in the middle of street in front of my car. Now, she wasn't crossing the street . . . she was running in the car lane TOWARDS the front of my car. I saw her and slowed down - no where else for me to go as it's only one lane each way. Then she got pissed off at me - she screamed and waved her hands as if I was in the wrong . . . she went around my car and then slapped the back of my car with her hand as she kept shouting and running towards the school. WTH? I don't understand why she didn't use the sidewalk - clearly other people were using it. I've often seen joggers/walkers on the very side of the street (she looked like she was wearing work out clothes though that doesn't mean anything), but clearly she was in the middle of the lane . . . she was literally close to the front of the driver's (my) side, not the passenger headlight side. Luckily I didn't care about my old car as far as her slamming it - and I wasn't about to stop the car and start a scene with her in case she was a lunatic - besides I had the kids in the car. wth? WTH???!!!
@srisahara (4155)
Hi friend, I think pedestrians do not always get the right of way when they do not follow the traffic rules. I think pedestrians should walk on sidewalk when they want safe during in the way. But there are many people who do not care with the rules. They prefer to take other way although they have violate rules. Be patient... friend...they are many crazy people on the way.
I try to be patient - but then I get angry. And then I get angry that she got angry - when it was clearly her own fault. Yes, I don't understand why this woman did not use the sidewalk - she endangered her own self by being in the middle of the car lane like that. Argh - too many crazy people, you're right - and they think they can blame everyone else for their choices!!!
@burrito88 (2779)
It was always my understanding that pedestrians have the right of way IF they are in a crosswalk. That rule might vary from state to state, but as far as I know, crossing outside a crosswalk is jay-walking. Also a pedestrian can not enter a crosswalk against a traffic light. Streets are mean for moving vehicles which does include bicycles. The only reason a pedestrian should have for being in a street is to get from one side to the other not to get from one place to another. Her slamming you car might also be a crime as well as issuing terroristic threats.
This was definitely not a crosswalk. And she wasn't crossing the street. She was definitely in the middle of the car lane running against traffic. This was in a residential area right by the school - and this woman should know better, at least for her own safety, that she shouldn't do that especially when school gets out (unless she's stupid??). My car never touched her - but yes, she's the one who laid a hand on my car. So I have her handprint in case I need to prove it - ha ha!!
@artemeis (4018)
"There's A Reason For Car Horns" I am sure you have the right to blast the senses back into her with your car's horn especially when she has no business to be running like a headless chicken on the road and exactly on your right of way here. It is obvious that she's confused income tax to road tax and believed that she has the right to ply the roads with her legs. I say blast that horn of yours the next time or you might be implicated for not doing your job or worse, be mistaken for reckless driving. I am mentioning this because a lot of time people may not know that you are in the right when an accident resulted like this. Get the needed attention as you blast that horn and believe me you wouldn't be feeling like waht you are feeling right now when you blast the horn. Hope you are feeling better here.
Ha ha!! Love that and I wish I had thought of that at the time! Maybe I didn't think to use my horn because I thought it'd be rude, but, um, just who was the one being rude, right? But then who knows what she would have done - she was already yelling and then slapped my car . . . I felt like I was on a safari ride with a wild animal about to claw through the windshield!!
@artemeis (4018)
You are not rude and it is your right to do so. Who knows what had gone into her mind? I am sure the horn will blast some senses into her for running on the road like that because I think you will be faulted on a technicality if she is being knocked down by you. We are having bird flu in China and I think she's having the gorilla's over at your end. Do you here Andy Williams' Born Free on the background?
Hee hee!!! Next time I will remember to use my horn (how do I crank up the volume it? Heh heh). As I said in the above comment, at least her hand got dirty from slapping my car - hope she got some bird tird too!
@bounce58 (17524)
She must have been stressed out of her mind to not think straight! And to get angry even though she clearly was on the wrong here. Yes, I think that pedestrians always have the right of way as they could be defenseless against a car, but I think some are just stoopid enough to think that they can do whatever they want. I hope that you just brushed it off, and chalk it up as HER problem! And not yours.
Hi bounce! For a while there, I couldn't brush it off . . . simply because I didn't understand what went on there. If I do something wrong on the road, I am the first to admit my mistake - but upon thinking about it over and over (which I know I shouldn't be wasting my time doing), I don't see how I did anything wrong. So like you and others have said, some people are stupid to think they can do whatever they want. She made the choice of endangering herself and she's lucky I am a cautious, responsible driver/citizen that I didn't get out of the car and throw a fit back at her. And I can feel sort of good that must have gotten her hand pretty dirty from touching my car - ha ha!!!
@bounce58 (17524)
The sad thing is, even if you are cautious, but you accidentally hit her (or she bumps herself to your car), it would still be deemed as your fault as you were in the vehicle.
That is true . . . not fair at all, but true!
@blackrusty (3532)
• Mexico
well so happens I i was just about ran over today by a stupid woman on her cell phone all the cars stopped on the red light i was walking across she went through the red light and missed me by 3 inches welcome to mexico we run your butt over here you have no rights
Oh my - that is pretty bad!! I guarantee you I was not on my cell phone, but I have seen plenty of idiots on the road with their cell phones. I remember driving through Mexico as a kid . . . of course I didn't know how to drive or anything, but I couldn't believe how "disorganized" the cars looked in traffic - scary!!!!!!!!!!
• Mexico
yes it is bad here and i try to allow myself enough time to walk and not run across the road but as of the other day that they just plain ran the red light with not even looking
Ah, be careful, blackrusty . . . be safe when you go walking (or driving too!).
@jenny1015 (13390)
That is the sad reality of being behind the wheels. Coz no matter how diligent you are in abiding by the road rules/laws, but when a pedestrian crosses your path and you accidentally hit it, then you will be liable for it.
Yep. Now I wonder what happens in a case like this . . . I wasn't even near hitting her with my car - the car didn't touch her - but she laid a hand on my car. No damage, but what if she wore a ring and it dinged my car. Would she be liable for that? Hmmmmm.
@jenny1015 (13390)
Well, probably you can file a case against her but am really not sure how things would work.
Oh gosh, I'm definitely not going to pursue. I wouldn't even know how to find her (and I don't think I'd want to).
@betlynfrnds (1184)
Oh brother, give me a break. I think you called it when you mentioned that she may be a lunatic. People have really taken their 'so called rights' way too far. I've heard of people owning the road but it always referred to those who were driving a car or truck at the time, not some goof ball pedestrian.
I was thinking maybe, just maybe, she was super late in picking up her kid from school - perhaps a young kinder student - and running whacko just to get to the school, not thinking, and taking it out on me. But who knows. Goof ball is right!!!
It's always nice to give people the benefit of the doubt. I commend you for that. I hope your car is O.K.
Oh, my car is totally fine. It's white and hasn't been washed in a while . . . so her hand left a print on it - ha ha. So if anything, at least her hand got super dirty from the incident - ha ha.
She didn't look to be all there.She was in the wrong,instead she blew her top.People all have civil rights and civil duties. Where was the traffic police then ?
Hi changjiangzhibin89! I just don't know what was going on with that woman. Most people who happen to be exercising in the street will at least move over to the way side . . . but this woman didn't bother!! It was a residential area, so no police to be found in that particular place.
Oh,I see.It was a good job you didn't make a scene with her.It wouldn't pay you to argue with her.
This does sound like she was in the wrong, but as a pedestrian I do have to say that I have frequently almost been hit by drivers making right turns that are just so absorbed in I dont even know what, that they don't pay attention, Its very possible that you just weren't paying close enough attention and almost hit the woman. Its a very aggravating thing and I just don't think that drivers understand or care enough about pedestrians and their safety
But this woman was not walking in an area nor direction where she should be walking . . . she was clearly not crossing the street at the crosslines but in the MIDDLE of the car lane - not even off to the side. It's not like I was making a turn "into" her . . . I had already turned, and as I was driving straight, I saw her running towards my car - on the driver side (middle of the car lane) and not near the sidewalk side. If I were her, I would have moved over - it's quite obvious that a car was coming (she was running right in front of the car), but no, she seemed to have insisted she was in the right and just stood there angry - what, was I supposed to swerve around her? I didn't have to stop abruptly - I saw her coming towards me - so it's not like I "almost" hit her. I think pedestrians too have a responsibility to play it safe when going into the street.
TH is right! Shat woman sounds like she has a screw loose Janey! I wouldn't have gotten out because she might have gone nuts on you.
Heya PQ! Oh yah, you should seen how this woman was yelling . . . she looked like she was about to gnaw on the car - yikes!! There's no way I was about to get out of the car and have it out with this woman (who seemed to be much taller than me anyway) - and in front of my kids - no way!!
@MoonGypsy (4613)
pedestrians do have the right away, but it sounds like she was running into traffic! did she want to get hit? what else were you supposed to do in the situation?
That's what I was thinking. She was in a raging fit, so what the heck was she expecting a car (my car) to be doing . . . geez, I thought CARS were supposed to be driving in the car lane. Yes, she was definitely running into traffic - seriously, what purpose did she have being where she was??
@LittleMel (14055)
well they only have the right of way if they do the right thing that's how I see it anyway :) she's lucky you're the one driving, with other people she might be in hospital already
Yah, I don't know how this woman thought that she had the right to be in the middle of the car lane like that. My gosh, even a squirrel would be smarter than that!!!!
@dawnald (84132)
• Shingle Springs, California
They have the right of way just means you are obligated to try and stop and not hit them. It doesn't mean that a pedestrian can do any idiot thing, and be legally in the right no matter what.
Part of me just wanted to . . . well, I won't go there . . .