Default user rights in Windows 10

@topffer (28569)
France
A friend asks me to help him with a few problems he has with Windows 10 : his scanner scans but does not authorize him to save a file, and he has also troubles to delete emails. He has upgraded to Windows 10 a desktop with Windows 7 where the scanner is connected, and a laptop with Windows 8. Windows is not my cup of tea, but I suspect that his troubles are due to a problem of user rights. Is it possible to modify users rights under Windows 10 or to switch to root to check if it would solve his problems ? How to do it ? Help, please. Update : the problem is fixed. Thank you.
Tonight I got a pop up to install windows 10 for free. I just got the hang of windows 8 and know how to refresh in case I get a virus. I am not updating to windows 10..
@topffer (28569)
• France
Nobody is forced to upgrade, but as it is a free upgrade, many people are doing the upgrade. For what I saw, Windows 10 is not very different than Windows 8. If you are satisfied with 8, it can be wise to keep it and to not upgrade.
This is why I'm sticking to windows 8.1, they seem to have issues with their own operating system. Windows 10 would be too early for me, i think they should explain why we should consider w10. I don't buy it, somethings not right.
@topffer (28569)
• France
I have always seen issues when a Windows version was new, and this one is not an exception. My opinion is to wait a few months before upgrading to a new Windows version, until Microsoft has debugged it. But here, it is a free upgrade, and people have only a few days to upgrade, so I understand the temptation. I don't know what I would have done. Maybe is it free, because Mac 0S X Mavericks was given for free by Apple ? The main interest for Apple and MS is to not maintain many versions of the same OS to save money. I would bet that they will stop soon to support Windows 7, and that in a near future, only one version will be available. But to do this, they have first to offer to their costumers to upgrade for free to keep them.