Money in politics

@dawnald (84156)
Shingle Springs, California
In the past several years, I have gotten more politically active. It started at the end of 2013 when I lost my job (again), and Congress cut off extended unemployment benefits right around Christmas. My ex had been unemployed over 6 months at that point, and stood to lose his benefits. I got involved with a group that lobbied my congressman and other people to reauthorize the extension. Unfortunately, we lost that battle. In doing a lot of political reading, I came to the conclusion that nothing was going to change in this country as long as big money was pouring into political campaigns, and I got involved in Wolf-Pac. They are working to get 34 states to call for a constitutional convention to reform campaign finance. I was part of the group that got the measure passed in California. Wolf-Pac got me involved in 99 Rise and Move to Amend. All of these groups believe that corporations should not have the same rights as people under the Constitution. Rights, yes, but not the same as people. How can an artificial construct created by people have the same rights as people. Silly, but the Supreme Court disagrees with me. All of these groups also believe that money is not first amendment protected free speech. If money is speech, then those of us who don't have much of it are effectively silenced. Polls show 80% of the American people agree that we need to get this big money out of our elections, and that is is corrupting our politicians. This is not a Democrat issue or a Republican issue. It is an American issue.
• Marion, Kansas
I would agree, a corporation is not a person. The individuals in a corporation should have rights, but the corporation it self is not entitled to the same rights as people.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
Unfortunately, 5 members of the Supreme Court have disagreed with us,hence all the movements to overturn their rulings.
@yugocean (6616)
@dawnald Sometimes Court agree, sometimes it won't. But before going to court, one must know the source where Judges are paid salaries and pensions, No court would like to make it lighter. Make some effort so that Govt benefits are not coming from that source
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
@yugocean This is the Supreme Court of the United States, not just a regular court.
@yugocean (6616)
This is serious problem, thankfully we have Modi Govt in India which is working much better. However people are mostly after freebies which is not good for them, in politics all have to choose the best person to look at the issues. Benefits also costs government, but they will only cut which meant for public, but they are not cutting their own benefits. Here Modi Govt has cut down several benefits for politicians and paid journalists, this has made him enemy of Media, but we are still aware and active.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
Of course, I 'm not that familiar with your government, but there was a study here that for every $1 donated to a political campaign by a large donor, they receive back $760 in benefits. That's to the detriment of the rest of us, as schools, road work, etc., get underfunded.
@yugocean (6616)
@dawnald That is so bad, this is just reminding me of bad old Congress party's rule
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
@yugocean Yes, it's not good at all.
@topffer (31859)
• France
I don't know the problem in your country, and I don't understand exactly what you are wanting to obtain. Is it a limitation of the money invested in a campaign or is it to forbid companies to give money to candidates ? I should have a look to read how elections are financed here. I am not very involved in politics and I vote rarely.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
It's both. I think we need to take all large contributions out of political campaigns, period. I don't care if it's corporate money, union money, rich people's money, anything over a very small minimum should be forbidden. Anybody who believes politicians aren't influenced by their large donors is a fool.
@topffer (31859)
• France
@dawnald They are certainly influenced but it is difficult to avoid. It looks like an utopia for me. Large companies will find something else to give money to parties to influence them. We have a limit here on the money invested on a campaign to put small candidates, not on equal terms, but in better position to be listened, however "big" candidates are cheating to spend more than the authorized limit, and it is difficult to control...
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
But aren't PACs also big money being poured into elections? Even if they are funded by many small donations instead of a few large ones, it is still money going into political action committees aimed at influencing elections and legislation.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
I didn't rule out eliminating PACs
• Bucharest, Romania
Apparently the whole world is in financial trouble.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
Because of a small number of people and large corporations hoarding everything.
Looks like another reason for a revolution if you ask me, but that's just me. When I was a kid I thought it was heaven in there, but as I got older i get to be a bit more educated with what's happening specially your politics, though not too similar, what ever happens to your country literally affects the world..