I thought I was the only one who thought this...

I love watching anything that deal with money. I was watching a show today about money and all you can do with it. A few people got a chance to ask about savings,stocks and other stuff. This one woman got up and asked should she sell her house. The reason she wanted to sell was because,she did not want to be in charged of fixing it. She was tired and wanted to live where she could call a super and have things done. The host asked her about her mortgage payment which was $1700 a month and asked could she find a place renting for that or less and she said,she could. The host was happy that the woman knew about house owning and what she wanted for herself. She told her to sell the house and find a place to rent. I live in a rental and a few years back I was offered the option to go in the home buying program. The only thing I would have was a 30 year mortgage the price of my rent which was reasonable. But,all repairs to the house was on me. Fridge,stove,furnace you name it on me. That was not hard for me to figure out.. I would have had the worse looking house on the block if left to repair a roof with no money. I know a lot of people who own homes who cant even heat it in the winter.
@Boonie1 (431)
• Ashdod, Israel
well it depends I gusse in your area and on a lot of things. but if you do buy a house, 30 years later with all those payments...you own that house and can sell/do as you will with it. if you rent it, it is cheaper but 30 years later you still dont have anything(unless you use the money you save for something else that can make you money of course)
True unless you can find somebody that does rent to own.
@ricki_911 (19264)
• Toronto, Ontario
It all depends on your area, and what you want. I can't justify renting, especially when many times the landlords wont fix things, or they sell the place whereas you need to find a new place. Just means added stress. The main concern for me whenever I rent is the animals, and many places wont allow them, or make up lame excuses. I perfer to own yes everything is on your plate, but in the end it is actually cheaper to own than rent. I know many who have their houses paid for and all they pay is the fixing, and the bills whereas renting only goes up and up with years. I usually put a chunk of money away, I am trying to get an emergency fund going, and the yearly spending on a house and I will be set.
Did you ever buy the trailer you were looking at? Last time I was online I saw you were still with your mom. I can't afford to fix anything if it broke in a house. I am better off renting where I can have it all done for me.
If I have understood you correctly yours is a reverse situation where you would go for a house and then pay mortgage which would be less than the rent you are paying but would have other worries. Your decision was good to stick to your rental house.
Yes that is the case. I would be out in the cold when it came time to pay the taxes alone.