Another Example of How One Bible-Verse Can Have Many Meanings

@mythociate (15963)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
In a recent Partners-Letter, Ol` Brother Kenny took John 16:13-15 biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2016%3A13-15&version=NIV;KJV;NKJV;ESV;NASB and interpreted it as telling us "He will guide you, speak, show you things to come, glorify Jesus and receive of Jesus's to show it unto you." I always interpreted the passage more 'when the Spirit of Truth opens your eyes, you'll see the way things really work---which things you can take, which things will be better-taken by others, and how to make things go differently.' I guess--as you get older--you realize more-and-more that your actions today are mostly just "momentum" from your actions (especially repeated actions) from the years before. But I still remember that I have as much (if not more) power over 'what I believe now' as/than I did in the beginning.
• Austin, Texas
Yeah that's an example. But don't lots of people pick and choose from any of the several verses and give a private interpretation that suits them or is convenient for their lifestyle? How would you interpret this scripture from the epistle of James? “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that gives to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” I like this verse. It's comforting and good to know there is a loving God who can be easily approached and will enlighten you, so you don't have to live in confusion and darkness. The Spirit of Truth is The Comforter.
@mythociate (15963)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I would interpret it, "Don't 'Lord-over your plans' (thinking everything MUST go the way you 'know' it should), but let 'Jesus take the wheel' as it comes to big navigation-choices." (look up 'jesus take the wheel' on YouTube) Of course I don't mean that anyone should LET GO of their steering-wheel (I wonder if there've been any car-accidents due to that on the radio ); I mean that ... the individual shouldn't look at 'the whole atlas' or 'the whole globe' to see how to get across the city. Maybe that sounds a little disconnected, but it goes along with 'God will let you know-exactly what you need to know and -that you don't need to know anything more than he will tell you.'
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I have always taken it to mean that the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth, which is what the verse says. It tell us that the Spirit of truth will speak of Jesus, that is how we can tell it from a deceiving spirit, the true Spirit of God will testify of Jesus. I think Kenneth has it pretty straight. God saves us from our sins and sinful actions, but he doesn't always save us from the consequences of those actions in our physical lives. But it is our spiritual lives that matter.
@mythociate (15963)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I'm not sure how you're reading "speak of Jesus." I read it as more like he will 'speak the way Jesus speaks (who says nothing but what He hears The Father say & does nothing but what He sees the father do).' The good sheep DO "know the Good Shepherd's voice," but I've heard that satan's a good impersonator.
• Bucharest, Romania
Atheists are masters at misinterpreting the bible. Are they not?
@mythociate (15963)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
'Misinterpreting it' as in rep0rting its numerous breaks from reality rather than letting them pass unannounced?