Do you stick to one genre when you read?

Pensacola, Florida
Reading comments on a different website about books, I noticed a friend's comment about how they stuck to one genre. It may of been a joke or a generalization, but it got me thinking. As a bibliophile, a word lover and a book reader, it kinda amazes me that people only read one type of book. I know that there are those of you out there that only read Sci-Fi or Chick-Lit or whatever that genre may be. I feel like by only stickin to one genre, or to one author or whatever, you miss out on so many books. So that begs the question, do you stick to one genre? Or if a book is recommended to you, will you step out of your literary comfort zone and read it?
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I do stick with one genre or one author at a time. I can't switch around much and I go for what interests me. Last summer I read every Hercule Poirot book written by Agatha Christie... every single one of them! After awhile I got into some older romantic dramas like Pride & Prejudice and Jane Eyre.. different authors but same genre. I haven't read in awhile. If I start a book I won't put it down until it's done, so I make sure I have a good block of time when I read, and now that I'm working full time I just don't have that block of time anymore.
• Pensacola, Florida
I have only read one Agatha Christie book, I have two more in my to read stack. Ill get to them eventually.
@lexiconlover Which one have you read? I read a lot of hers that were not Hercule Poirot novels, but those ones were my favorite. Murder on the Orient Express is probably my all time favorite of hers. It was one of the first I read.
• Pensacola, Florida
@katsmeow1213 it was And then there were none/ Ten Little Indians. I have murder on the orient express, just havent read it yet.
@patgalca (14353)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I used to stick to a certain group of authors. They weren't necessarily the same genre but there were genres that I definitely stayed away from (historical, sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal) but since I started entering giveaways for books I have been exposed to different genres, sometimes by accident, and have enjoyed them. But then I look at all the books in my house that I have yet to read (about 200 of them) and think that I will never get them all read, especially if I keep winning more. I've hit a dry spell now, though, so I should take advantage and read as much as I can.
• Pensacola, Florida
Do you use the website goodreads? It's helpful with keeping track of books that you've read. I've entered a few giveaways there, but haven't one anything yet. Where do you find book giveaways?
@patgalca (14353)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@lexiconlover I do use Goodreads. The great thing now is that if you put a book on your "want to read" shelf you will get an email telling you when there is a giveaway for that book. Of course that's probably why I'm running dry now because everyone is getting notices so more people are entering. I've also entered on Freado and won a few times. Author websites have contests on them. I won from Joy Fielding's website once. Unfortunately the 3-novel book I won had three novels in it that I already read, but the book was signed. Read It Forward is another website. I used to answer a Twitter trivia contest and won a few there. You have to keep an eye on publishers' websites and Twitter to see when they run giveaways.
• Pensacola, Florida
@patgalca Well thanks for the infor. I will do some searching today for some contests.theres nothing to loose in entering contests lol
I stick to one genre until I tire of it. I then move on to the next genre and so forth. I tend to wind back around and re-read favorites, or pick new favorites. There are still genres I will not touch.
• Pensacola, Florida
I generally read whatever looks good. My Kindle is helpful for this, but I don't think there is a genre I've ever avoided lol.
@lexiconlover I'm not particularly one for sci-fi, atleast not reading. I have dabbled a bit in time travel novels though. I have kindle unlimited and it's awesome.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
No,I like change.My favourite genres are poetry,wildlife,history and travels.After finishing a book I shift to another from another genre.
• Pensacola, Florida
What are some of your favorite historical books? I love poetry too, have a few books. I was the kid in high school who read all the poetry books and actually liked them. Who is your favorite poet?
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@lexiconlover All my favourite poets are Indians.Great ancient and modern Indian poets.You may not have heard about them.Tulsidas,Dinkar,Dushyant Kumar and many others.
• Pensacola, Florida
@else34 you're correct, I havent heard if them. But I may look them up now.
@LeaPea2417 (20333)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I like to read from different genres, but there is one I don't really like to read from and that is horror. That scares me too much.
• Preston, England
I sweep wildly from genre to genre, poetry, science fiction, westerns, some romances, and much more. A good book is one that transcends genres. If someone reads one SF novel and dislikes it they often ignore the entire genre on the basis of that, which is just plain dumb.