A Cure for Depression?

@1wldngl (3991)
Experts now say that gardening may cure depression, or at the very least keep it at bay. I've been reading several articles on this and they all agree that gardening works wonders on depression. I am including a link along with this but they don't seem to be working correctly for me lately. If the link doesn't work please feel free to copy and paste to read the article. The above link doesn't seem to have the exact info I was looking for as one article stated there was actually a substance in the dirt that acts as an anti depressant. Really interesting information. Do you garden in any form? Do you find that it relieves depression and boosts your spirits?
We've loosely known that owning pets and gardening can lift a black mood, but a new study confirms that people who garden are less likely to display signs associated with unhappiness or depression.
@topffer (33790)
• France
I think that any outdoor activity can help. What helped me was to do some bicycle. It was good to do some exercise, but also to leave my home (I did not wanted to go outdoor) and think at something else. I suppose that a bicycle ride in the nature brings the same feelings that gardening emphasized in this article : simplicity, tranquility... I am not really gardening, I have only a few plants to water that I use for cooking : thyme, mint, basil...
@1wldngl (3991)
I wish I could find the original article that stated the substance within the soil that fights depression. It was really quite interesting.
@topffer (33790)
• France
@1wldngl So having the hands in the dirt all the day would prevent/fight depression? Interesting for an archaeologist. Several colleagues/coworkers have had to fight depression too, so I have a doubt. There is often a lot of pressure during an excavation, when gardening has certainly a soothing effect. Anyways, I am interesting to read the article, if you find it.
@1wldngl (3991)
@topffer I wish I could. I will look when I get a chance. I found the link off of facebook and can't remember the source, but it was a valid source.
@wittynet (4130)
With happiness that gardening is giving me, I don't need any links to prove it. It is indeed an anti depressant.
@1wldngl (3991)
That's fantastic!
@wittynet (4130)
@1wldngl, do you also do gardening?
@1wldngl (3991)
@wittynet I have house plants and plants outside on the patio. I am planning to make a yard garden for pleasure, soon. I have to plot it all out and decide how I want it to look.
I have a garden and I take care of it, honestly I do not believe it's a cure for depression. When we have hail storms and all my flowers and vegetables are destroyed it is a cause of depression.
@1wldngl (3991)
Oh....yes...that would be very sad indeed.