What's your take on Windows 10?

By Miki
@Micmac (9281)
I’ve upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. I’m still exploring the new features. So far I’m not totally satisfied with everything it offers. There are some programs I like, but there are other complications. Right now I’m debating on whether I will keep it or revert back to my original version of Windows. Have you upgraded to Windows 10? What are your thoughts, are you happy with it or is it not your cup of tea.
@yukimori (9072)
It took me a bit to get used to Windows 10 after I upgraded. My biggest complaints were the File Explorer and that there initially wasn't a driver available for my old printer. After figuring out how to set it up to be similar to Windows 7 and getting the driver to get my printer working, I have no complaints. Is there anything in particular you're having issues with? Some of us might be able to help you troubleshoot it.
@kaka135 (14065)
I think we can always search online to find the functionality in Windows 10 which is similar to Windows 7 or 8, that's how I learned to do when using different or newer versions. Thank you for sharing your experience, so I'll know what to do after I upgrade mine.
@yukimori (9072)
@Micmac That's interesting. I'm finding that Windows 10 starts up a lot faster on my computer than Windows 7 did. That could just be because I'd just reinstalled 7 a few days before I upgraded to 10. I've been using Firefox and Chrome for years, so I haven't even opened Edge. I have heard that it's one of the buggier features in 10, though. Windows 10 seems to update more frequently than Windows 7 used to. I've noticed that there are a lot of times when I'll go to shut it down and it will seem to take forever because it's installing something it downloaded earlier in the day.
@topffer (35586)
• France
@yukimori Windows is generally faster after an upgrade, because it starts with new databases to store its info. After a few months, Windows 10 will probably be as slow as Windows 7 was on your computer... It is true that there are more updates : 10 updates more things than before, like drivers for your hardware (printers, scanners, screens, etc.) when it recognize them.
@sishy7 (27604)
I'm happy with my XP on a desktop and Windows 7 on a laptop.
@Micmac (9281)
Windows 10 is not as efficient as I expected. It's slow to load at start up and I had problems shutting down my computer after several attempts. I do like Write Edge browser's features, but that too stalled. The tile organizer is nice.
@yukimori (9072)
Windows XP... Actually, I think I have a laptop around here that runs XP. It was a pretty good OS. I was so peeved when HP sent me the new laptop with Vista on it...
@sishy7 (27604)
@yukimori My laptop was actually purchased several months before Windows 7 was launched - so it originally came with Vista but also with a free update once Windows 7 was out.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
It is inevitable that you are not totally happy from the beginning, mainly because you became familiar with a different version of Windows. I have been using Windows 10 ever since the first test version was released for download and find myself very much at home with it. Every time that a new version of Windows is introduced many people dislike it purely because it is different, but gradually change their attitude. You can restore the original Windows during the first month, so I would advise keeping Windows 10 for at least 3 weeks before making a final decision.
@Micmac (9281)
@Asylum Thanks for your kind advice. I hope to get attached to Window 10, I'm not giving up on it just yet and will try it a bit longer before I make any changes. I'm glad you had happy sailing with it. It's takes time to get the hang of things, but if I keep experiencing stalling, freezing and such I will have to say goodbye to Windows 10.
@kaka135 (14065)
I have read some discussions about upgrading to Windows 10 lately and read many good comments about it, I am really tempted to do so. I will schedule a time to upgrade, and see if I will like it. I always like to try out new look and functionality, and I expect some time to adapt to the changes.
@Micmac (9281)
@kaka135 Me too, I've read the pros and cons about Windows10 on various technology sites; there are mixed reviews. I wish I had a better experience with Windows 10 thus far, and I hope to see improvements as time goes by. Please, let me know what you think of Windows 10 when you upgrade. I hope it works well for you.
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I was going but have hesitated for the reasons you stated. I have received good feedback about it so was planning on doing it but I think I'll stick with Windows 8.
@Micmac (9281)
@patgalca If you like you can try the upgrade to see if it's compatible with your computer. You may not have the same problems I have. Mind you, I'm still testing it out and I may decide to keep it, not sure yet. If you're not satisfied with the new windows 10 OS, after a month you can go back to Windows 8. It's not all that bad once you get use to the settings and there's plenty of interesting new features. I'm liking Write Edge browser. I will see if it still stalls after some time - still experimenting, too soon to know everything yet.
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Micmac I heard the computer ran faster with Windows 10. I asked this question but didn't get an answer... how long does it take to download.?
@Micmac (9281)
@patgalca On my computer, windows 10 has a slow start up and there are frequent updates installing. Maybe I can find information how to speed it up? I'm still learning. It took me about 1 hour to download windows 10.
@kepweng (17850)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
Hi how is your windows 10 right now?? are you talking to cortana??
@Micmac (9281)
@kepweng I am not using windows 10 anymore. Do you have windows 10? Are you happy with it? Are you having fun talking to cortana?
@owstalaga (4570)
Nah, am not interested in upgrading to Windows 10. It's not such a big deal for me. I don't want a new OS unless I get a new laptop or new computer.
@Micmac (9281)
@owstalaga okay, perhaps you might try Windows 10 in the future someday. Thanks for providing your take on Windows 10 friend.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I did not like it. I don't see anything noteworthy other than Microsoft's new IE and enhanced search. For tablets I find the taskbar very similar to Android's OS. It does in a way look better especially the automatic switch between tablet and desktop mode when you attach the keyboard. But I experienced a lot of errors and bugs. Some of the vital programs which I use stopped working or suffered constant freezing. The picture login did not work either so I had to change my login method. I think Windows 10 is made to work on new devices that are designed specifically for that version of Windows. On almost all other devices you are likely to find mistakes in the system.
@Micmac (9281)
@Madshadi I have experienced the same - lots of bugs and errors. I had no problem with the picture login though. The power shut down does not function. I think you're right, Windows 10 is made for new devices. Thanks so much for your views.
it is not my cup of tea at all.the guys from microsoft said that with windows 10 they will manage to enter in our data base. that mean they will be able to see everything about us , even passwords or accounts. i dont recommend windows 10.
@Micmac (9281)
@JosephHans Now that is . I'm And I was worried only about bugs and errors.