When There is Nothing to Say...

@1wldngl (3996)
We all get them, those comments that: 1) lose something in the translation 2) let you know the responder didn't even READ the discussion 3) let you know the responder was just trying to make a penny So...what do you do? How do you respond? There is only a rare time when I do NOT reply to one of my responses. I always try to reply with something just to let them know that I acknowledged them. Even just hitting the like button lets them know you saw their response. Somtimes the conversation has hit a wall and there isn't anything left to say and then you "like" their reply. But when a first time responder has just typed something you totally do NOT understand and you can't even figure out how to ask them, "um...what the holy HECK did you mean here" without sounding like a total meanie head....what do you do? I try my best to be diplomatic and considerate.
@PhredWreck (6096)
I'd give you my two cents worth but you don't make two cents for my comment, it's quite a bit less than that.
@1wldngl (3996)
Two plug nickels then?
@1wldngl Possibly. I wouldn't give you a wooden one, they are worth more.
@1wldngl (3996)
@PhredWreck two bits?
• Marion, Kansas
I will phrase what I understand them to mean and then ask if that is correct. @1wldngl what I am understanding from your post is that sometimes comments in discussions are not easy to understand but that you want to acknowledge the contribution and possibly get clarification. Am I correct?
@1wldngl (3996)
Ha...good one Gerty!
@topffer (29315)
• France
All of us are not native English speakers, and I am not able to play with English words like I play with French words. When I notice that somebody is using an automatic translation, I try to understand what he/she wants to tell. If this member has not understood the discussion, then I will probably not give a response. When the starter asks a question in the title, and another one at the end of the discussion, I have noticed that many people are not responding to the real question. In a discussion started yesterday with 6 responders when I read it, only two had responded to the final question, and the 4 others had responded to the question in the title...
@1wldngl (3996)
I rarely have trouble with your stuff. I mean the really obscure stuff. Maybe I am just dense sometimes. I actually get things that make no sense and I assume, maybe wrongly, that the person was just randomly responding. And then...I just don't know what to say in reply to them. I guess it wouldn't bother me if I wasn't trying to be nice to everyone all the time. How do you know when someone is using an automatic translation?
@topffer (29315)
• France
@1wldngl When there are crazy nonsenses here and there, it is an automatic translation. For a Latin language, automatic translations are never good ; for English they are a bit better, but it is not difficult to detect members using them.
@topffer @1wldngl I think that you are both right ... sometimes it might be an automatic translation and other times I think it is just that the person is randomly responding without even reading the discussion. There is also another option, though. Sometimes people can have multiple tabs open at the same time, and they might comment with a correct response but accidentally put it in the wrong discussion.
Most likely I can find "something" to say (it's in my username - ha ha). Sometimes I can figure out what someone may have been trying to say - but not always. For those completely "out there" comments - well, I just might make a complete "out there" comment back (maybe). But if there is just nothing else to say, that "like" will do - to acknowledge like you said. In real life, I deal with quite a few folks who don't speak English well, including my dad, so through the years I've learned to figure out what they're trying to say.
@1wldngl (3996)
I didn't intend this just for the english crowd. I'm sure we english speakers can become just as unclear to the non english speaking crowd. Ya know?
@1wldngl That's true. Even I admit I tend to go on and on sometimes - maybe some people don't what the heck I'm saying! "I" don't even know what the heck I'm saying (especially when I'm half asleep in the middle of the night typing away - ha ha).
@1wldngl (3996)
@much2say and local colloquialisms are probably pretty hard to figure out sometimes..you know?
@rosekiss (30161)
• Eugene, Oregon
I feel that the porper response is only given after reading the complete discussion. I read them all,but if I don't have anything to say, then I will not respond. I have never ecnountered that on any of my discussions wehre the response didn't match the discussion. I like you, if that would ever happen, would wonder the same thing, as I wouldn't know how to comment back to a respnse like that.
@1wldngl (3996)
and you just don't want to be rude and ignore them....you know?
@rosekiss (30161)
• Eugene, Oregon
@1wldngl I can certainly understand that, but if trhere response doesn't fit the discussion, it would be hard to know how to comment back.
@1wldngl (3996)
@rosekiss I know, exactly.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
If I don't understand a comment I read it several times and I try to guess what the person wanted to say. If I still don't understand it I ask them to explain what they meant. Some people have just started to learn English and it can be difficult to understand that they are trying to express, but I want to talk to them anyway so I try to understand their words. Sometimes they use automatic translation and it can be a challenge to understand the meaning. Some people only read the headline, and they misunderstand the topic. I have seen that many times. One time I started a discussion where I used a word with more than one meaning, and the people who didn't read the entire discussion misunderstood it. It was easy to tell the difference between the people read everything and the people who only read the headline
@1wldngl (3996)
I'm sure it's not just me. I would imagine I can be as obscure to others as well.
@fufurinha (11390)
• Portugal
I answer to almost every comment I get but sometimes it isn't easy. And yes, sometimes I see comments that I can not understand.
@1wldngl (3996)
I often wonder what they think of my ramblings...
@fufurinha (11390)
• Portugal
@1wldngl I think that some people don't get them ahaha
@1wldngl (3996)
@fufurinha I'm sure!
So the sky was blue, but then the sun went behind a cloud and it turned grey. When the sun finally set, though, it turned a beautiful combination of purple, pink, blue, orange and grey.
You just knew I would have to do that, right?
@topffer (29315)
• France
sunset, public domain clipart http://www.clker.com/clipart-49739.html
What a beautiful sunset ! I add the picture to your response
@topffer Oh, so you saw it, too? Were you the one that was sitting next to me and watching it? Where did you hide the camera?
@rusty2rusty (6747)
• Defiance, Ohio
If I don't understand a comment. i will ask them what they meant. Leave up to them to the next to try and explain or ignore the question.
@1wldngl (3996)
I'm going to try that next time, that and what Gerty suggested.
@Bluedoll (16052)
That works for me. Everyone is different. I try not to worry about it too much. Asking can sometimes shine a light and then you know.
@TLChimes (4845)
"Hmm... can you please tell me what you mean because I want to be sure I understand." Of the like but and a or depending on the subject.
@1wldngl (3996)
Yea...ima try that next time. LOL
@Shellyann36 (7994)
It happens, sometimes there is a language barrier that stands in the way and sometimes it makes no sense what-so-ever what the person means. Of course I have had a few discussions on another board where a person posted a reply meant for another member by accident. I would prefer to ask them what they are saying without being rude.
@1wldngl (3996)
Yes...although I have a new responder who keeps putting 1-5 words and I am sore pressed to reply back. LOL
I have been there a few times. I will let them know I did not get it and that might let them come back to explain it to me. I am willing to try.
@1wldngl (3996)
I will next time.
When people don't read the whole of your discussion and make random respond or kind of translation, I will still just give generic kind of respond. But if they still reply and make me confuse even more, I will give them 'like'. I think sometimes they don't mean it and language problem could confuse them ( we confuse even more )
@1wldngl (3996)
Yes...I'm sure they get as confused by me as I do by them. LOL
I like their respond and say nothing.
@1wldngl (3996)
Gonna ask them next time.
Like you i try to be diplomatic and considerate and try my best to understand what the poster is saying and try to reply appropriately. However, sometimes, the comments are just so out of this world that I'm left scratching my head and thinking, 'What did i just read?'.
@1wldngl (3996)
Been there done that!
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yes, it is nice to be here and read your very interesting discussion, and happy myLotting to you...
@1wldngl (3996)
Happy myLotting to you too!
• Orlando, Florida
Majority of the people are here just to make a couple cents, not to read anything. I feel you dude, but if someone genuinely doesn't understand or a there is a language barrier I would do my best to respond.
@1wldngl (3996)
I'm sure I am as annoying, sometimes, as well. I speak Texan. LOL
I have encountered such responses and I ask them to elaborate a bit on what they have said. Simple
@1wldngl (3996)
good idea
I can tell when someone responds and they didn't bother to read my article when their comment has nothing to do with the article at all.
@1wldngl (3996)
Yes...those are rather obvious.
Sometimes, there is nothing to say and that's all.