How often do you contact your close friend from schools once you are 30+?

By RK
@ragikutty (2460)
Kerala, India
I don't know what is wrong with me. I do not keep in touch with my old friends at all. To some extend I even ignore few calls from classmates. I am worried I lol have nothing to share rather than asking how they are, how their family is, his are their parents, job etc. and with few others I do talk, but not too often. It's not like I don't like having friends, in fact I miss not having someone. But I don't bother making phone calls until I feel it's really long I haven't heard from them.
@besweet (7227)
• Greece
Keeping old friendships and relatioships needs time and effort. I have a friend who lives abroad who is very devoted on this purpose. He wakes up every Saturday morning and speaks through video calls with his friends back home and some other friends that he had in other countries. He has managed to maintain a large network of friends and I admire him for that! On the other hand, I always expect from the other person to make similar effort. For example, if I call my friend a few times and they are too busy to call back, I usually take a step back and wait for them to do the next attempt to talk with me.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
thanks a lot for the response. even i know a few guys who take lots of effort in keeping in touch with everyone else. but somehow i am not able to. may b I am too lazy.
@besweet (7227)
• Greece
@ragikutty I think that we should start working on keeping the friendship alive from tha beginning! When time passes, we miss important events in each others lives and then it's harder to stay in touch. I am more like you but I would like to invest more time to stay connected with old friends in the future!
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
You speak exactly my words. We passed out from School in 1989 (yeah ages back). We were cut off (and specially me was out of the bunch) for many many years. I never am/was interested in peeking into what they are doing or how things are moving with them as I have had my own issues to attend to. Past Feb, I got a phone call from one of my classmates and now we are about 15 who have got connected via whatsapp. I dont find anything interesting though, but yes, it is fun at times. Like a few days we celebrated the birthday of a friend. The most interesting part of course is living back the memories of the school days.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
Thanks a lot for the response. Even we started a whatsapp group, collected phone numbers from facebook and all. But it is not active as it was in the starting stage, seems nobody has something to share every other day. We just share funny jokes, videos etc or wish others on special occasions.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@ragikutty We just share funny jokes, videos etc or wish others on special occasions Unfortunately, that is how it is here with me too. On the group that we got created, today, I feel just so very bored reading those forwarded not-so sensible jokes, videos etc. But what to do - the world has become Virtual and you cannot avoid that fact. Also, you just can't chat everyday with old mates (as you did when you were at school or college) as everyone is busy at his/her end. Of course, the feeling of being re-connected is good. We do share birthdays, on saturdays/sundays discuss about family etc. But we all know, it is just a talk.
@Avijit100 (953)
• Calcutta, India
I think this is because of a prolong gap between you guys and even I have went through this phase wherin I didn't contact my friends for a long time until we all met one fine day at a shopping mall.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
That is a good reason, even i agree to it. Some inhibition part is there, once that gets over I get talking, then it might go back to earlier times, i think so..
@cgalavia (1405)
I still have contacts to my friends during high schools and colleges and sometimes we chat at least two to three times a week and a video call once for a week or a month.We stay connected. We still see each other if there is an occasion in each of our Family and I enjoyed every hour we're together.