I need career advice, as I am completely blank.

By RK
@ragikutty (2460)
Kerala, India
Here is the thing. I am 29 yr old married woman. For degree I have B.Tech IT (which was never my choice) and i have no programming or logical skills. So I joined a BPO once I was out of college (as all my friends got placed somewhere, i had to find a job too). I never wanted to study more. Then time flew, i got married(not planning to have kids, now). Now when i think about it, I just don't know what my next step should be. I want to do something I like to do. I am good at drawing, painting, making crafts, stitching, designing dresses etc. But I do not have money to invest and start a business. I am not happy with my current job, i tried taking career aptitude tests online, which never gave results that i can try my hands at. I like to teach, but i am not so good around children(I loose my temper very easily). What do I do? Should I go for some career counselling programs?
@kaka135 (14130)
I have some friends who sell their handmade crafts online, I think you need not have a lot of capitals to start the business. Some of my friends start doing the craft after they have the order, so you only need some money to buy some equipment and minimal materials. Of course, I think it may not be easy at the start. Do you like web design or graphics design? Besides programming, I think there are needs for web and graphics design as well. I used to teach kids computer lessons in computer centers, it's quite fun and easy, as some kids already know how to use computers very well, and they will just sit still and learn how to use computers, unlike in the classroom. These are just some of my suggestions. Good luck in your career finding.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
I love working with photoshop, though I have no plans to go for courses to become a web designer or graphic designer as I am not continuing my job in IT industry. Computer lessons for high school students and Selling crafts online are the two things under my iterations.
@kaka135 (14130)
@ragikutty Then just go for it! I think you can work on both concurrently, as you can do some craft work during non working hours. I always dream of selling crafts online, but I am not an expert at all, just a beginner.
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
You say you are a BTech. What were your specialization/stream/branch - I know they call it differently even in the same country? However, that does not matter. If you are really willing, why not think of e-commerce where you neither have to pay a rental towards the office or salary to employees nor there are any limitations of reaching to your clients? If money is what you really want to work for, and are not happy with your current job (BPOs are really the wrong place to be for engineers, specially in Indian context), there are a lot of other opportunities around. The only hassle is before you take the first step. Once that is taken, it will all be good. Personally, the career counseling programs are all crap and would need you to pay them the fee. After that, you know your status better than anyone else. If you need, feel free to PM me and maybe I can help you in some way.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
I have my BTech in IT. Once i quit my current job I am saying goodbye to IT field. I hate this job. Mainly because I want to do something that gives me happiness as well as it should help me financially. And thanks a lot for the comments and the support. I really appreciate that.
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@ragikutty Quitting your job when you can evaluate where you actually stand, is not the right approach, in my opinion. The Indian BPO does not need any brains or even 24x7 of your time, but they pay you good, and on time. You could always start up an ecommerce thing even when at work. You have no kids yet to keep you busy. So you can very well manage if you are really serious about it. Think about that. As when you leave your job, you would still need money to start up the new business venture or even to get yourself trained.
@sofssu (15067)
You really don't need to invest much if you love designing and tailoring, Start small with friends and build your business from there if that is what gives you happiness. You can display your crafts and cards and I am sure your friends will want to buy them. I used to make candles and my friends used to book them in advance for their festivals. I gave up because of some health issues. I hardly invested much.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
That is my current plan to start small with my cousin then quit my job gradually.
@owstalaga (4576)
Man that's a hard place to be in. It's best to think that you can do things instead of bringing yourself down. I suggest you start by finding ways to make your dreams come true one step at a time rather than thinking you can't do anything that you want or like to do. Think small actionable steps. Also give yourself a time table for the things you want to do, even if you don't achieve everything within that time frame it is okay because it is only a guide. Everything you want to do has risks involved. It's good you already know some of your likes and dislikes. You can also list them down, your strengths and weaknesses. Figure out who you are so you will know how to get to where you want to be. Be wise in using the funds you get from the job you don't like and find a way to reach your dreams. Good luck!
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
Thank you. I did try on a small study on my strengths and weaknesses. But that is not leading me anywhere. That is when I tried career aptitude tests online. Which didn't help either. :-(
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@ragikutty A self study about your own self rarely works. You would always remain biased in your self-evaluation
@owstalaga (4576)
@ragikutty Well now that you know your strengths and weaknesses, you should know what you are good at and what resources you can build on to start a small business. It really all boils down to choosing something and sticking with it. You have to decide to do what you want to do. I wrote a series of articles on that on another site if you'd like to read it. Maybe it can help you or anyone else having the same dilemma as you.
We all want to be successful and rich. Some want a house of their own, others want their dream job/career, and the rest want to frequently travel the world etc., but is anyone actually doing anything to realize those dreams or goals? I got news for you: Yo
@kiran8 (15399)
• Mangalore, India
Instead of trying out new areas it is best to stick to the one where you already have a degree and probably get the necessary programming skills...You have to be practical and realise that it is not easy to start afresh and starting a business is not at all easy since it involves planning from scratch and investment..
You said you like to teach... why not teach IT subjects to college students, they are not children, right?. You need to start somewhere before you can pursue with what you really love to do.
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@Magnolia74 She also said - but i am not so good around children(I loose my temper very easily). on the same sentence. This is why I did not recommend her Teaching. With that trait in her, she is just unfit for this profession. Still, if she starts, she will either be hated by her students, earn a bad name and repute before business shuts down or she could face more grave issues, you never know .
@thesids yeah, I saw that too but college students are not children anymore. They are more well behaved. She could start from there while she saves up money to start a business later on.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
@thesids Yea, by children I mean below age 12 or so. I do not think i can handle small ones with little attention span and lots of distractions. Higher classes, I wouldn't mind if they comes to learn.
You do have something that you love. Maybe you can start to build you business from zero. For a business to run, it doesn't really need a huge amount of money. Especially for crafting. I also do crafting and I know that you only need a little money to buy some basic tools and start doing your work. It might not make earn you a lot of money in the beginning but if you focus on what you're doing and keep optimize your product and expanding your market then your business will grow. You can do anything for a living. but I suggest you go with something you really passionate about. Because if you don't enjoy what you do, sooner or later you'd be really tired to keep doing it. If you already sure about you passion, then go for it. If you haven't then start to explore. And the most important thing, don't ever doubt you self or being to afraid to start something.