Would You Rather Buy a Townhouse or a Condominium Unit?

My snap shot of a building in Ortigas, Pasig City
@owstalaga (4200)
So I've been thinking, what are your choices when buying a place to live in? Excluding the house and lot option, would you buy a townhouse unit or a condominium unit? The condominium units are booming here right now. And I'm also seeing a lot of families looking for townhouses. Some newly married couples really want a house and lot however their budget are good for condominiums only and can't even afford townhouses unless it is in the provinces. If I get the job I went for an interview earlier, maybe I can get a studio condo unit in a few years. Or maybe not if I want to travel somewhere instead. I can't afford a townhouse or a house and lot unless I get to be a billionaire maybe. How about you? If you do not have your own house and you were to choose, which one of the two would you buy given your current situation?
@PhredWreck (6096)
I really can't choose between the two, as the idea of living in a city is absolutely abhorrent to me.
@owstalaga (4200)
oh i see... That's okay. Some people are like that especially if one is used to living far from the city. Do u live in the suburbs or a rural area?
@owstalaga Small town of about 8200. Largest building here is 3 stories. I couldn't deal with having neighbors right up next to me...not really a 'people' person.
@owstalaga (4200)
@PhredWreck i see. As long as you have a house to live in that should be good enough.
@1wldngl (3996)
I'm with PhredWreck...I can't stand the city. We are 8 miles from the nearest town and live in a house on 2 arces.
@sacmom (14338)
I'm about 8 miles from the nearest city as well. I live on 30 some odd acres though!
@1wldngl (3996)
@sacmom Oh...cool. We are in a developement that never formed an HOA..so...no rules. Ha! We can have any animal we want and no restrictions. We are also on a cul de sad and there are lots of empty lots around us. We hope to buy up around us as well.
@sacmom (14338)
@1wldngl Good luck with that!
@sacmom (14338)
With my current situation, neither. I have an autistic son who requires plenty of land and no next door neighbors.
@owstalaga (4200)
oh wow... that's understandable. Don't worry you're not alone.
@sacmom (14338)
@owstalaga Oh, believe me, I know I'm not! lol
We have a house outside of the city. I wouldn't like to live in the city limits.
@owstalaga (4200)
Oh... seems like most of you are out of the city.
@Bluedoll (17076)
I think they both have advantages for first buys. Townhouses give you the feel of an attached house but not all are maintained the same way. Condo's are close to city centers if you like to be but you need to be careful of condo fee's. They both have really good resale values right?
@owstalaga (4200)
True they both have good resale value. So I guess you'll buy both if you could?
@Bluedoll (17076)
@owstalaga Of course if I could, I would keep buying anything with good resale value. I would purchase for resale and/or to rent out getting the occupant to pay my mortgage. I would get rich doing it too. As for choice, there are many factors involved to consider on each purchase too many to go into here I think.
@owstalaga (4200)
@Bluedoll Awesome! I actually wished I could do that too from all episodes of a real estate reality show I've been watching. Maybe soon but not now.
@besweet (7340)
• Greece
I would like to have a townhouse with a garden and a lot around the house. But I also can't afford that so I would probably buy an appartment in a multistorey building.
@owstalaga (4200)
Yeah... that is the reality, we can't have some of them. We actually live in what you've mentioned to buy. It's not ours though. How I wish I can buy a condo unit next year!
@besweet (7340)
• Greece
@owstalaga It's very hard to buy a new house in a good area without any financial help. I hope that when I have a family, I will be able to share expenses and buy a nice house. I wish you to make your dream come true soon!
@owstalaga (4200)
@besweet So true, that's why we don't have our own house yet up to now.
@cahaya1983 (8294)
Townhouses can be pretty expensive here. If I have to choose between the two I'd choose a townhouse for sure, IF its affordable. I live in a condo now, it has great facilities and stuff but I still dream about having a house with a yard, away from the city.
@owstalaga (4200)
Aw. If I have my own family I'd choose a townhouse too but I'd prefer a condo too because of the ease of living in the city.
@owstalaga Ours is quite spacious so its still suitable for families, but the thing is in the cities the prices can break the bank.
@owstalaga (4200)
@cahaya1983 So true, that's why I can't buy anything yet, even on installment. But I know it will happen in a few years time.
@bystander (2308)
choosing a place to live in and settle permanently is a big decision one has to make, early on in his or her productive lifetime. of course, not all of us were born with wads of cash. so, as we begin working, we make a list of what we want to achieve or get. one of these is a domicile or a place we can call home. there are of course a lot of choices. a cramped studio unit, a condo unit, a townhouse, or a house and lot. in choosing what type of home we will finally have to settle, we will consider of course our work (the distance we have to travel between our planned home and our workplace on a daily basis); then, our earning (can we afford the monthly amortization and other fees that go with owning any of the types of homes earlier stated); then, will the planned home be enough for the family you have planned, which means you, your wife and children; and there are a lot more to consider. what is important, however, is to get a type of house you can afford and will give you the convenience in your work and the comfort your planned family need to have. just remember, there is a sense of permanency in buying a house, whether it is a studio or a mansion. think seriously consider these, and you are on your way to having a dream abode.