How do you like your tea or coffee?

By Gina
@Gina145 (3974)
Johannesburg, South Africa
I was never a tea lover but I grew up drinking my coffee with milk and sugar. At some stage I made a conscious decision to stop adding sugar to my coffee. It was hard at first, but I soon acquired a taste for drinking it that way and today I'd have to throw out a cup of coffee if somebody added sugar to it. Over the years I've also taught myself to drink herbal teas, which I drink without milk or sugar, though I add a slice of lemon to Rooibos tea. I don't really enjoy those teas but I drink them because they're supposed to be healthy. How do you like your tea or coffee?
During breakfast it will really be coffee with just borwn sugar . No creamer please . As to my green tea i like it hot . It's delicious that way .
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@SIMPLYD I've never really acquired a taste for green tea, but I drink it sometimes because it's supposed to be healthy. I try to have it hot, but usually get busy with other things and then forget about it until it gets cold
@Hate2Iron (8021)
Several years ago, I used demerara sugar in my coffee. That was awesome. You just reminded me. :)
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Hate2Iron I've never heard of demerara sugar. I suppose any sugar is unhealthy though.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I grew up drinking tea at home because my parents drank tea. I started drinking coffee after I went to work. I used to take milk and sugar but eventually gave up the sugar and then gave up the milk and drink it black. I don't mind some herbal teas, but just as an occasional beverage. They really don't replace tea and coffee for me.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Rollo1 My Mom used to drink tea when I was younger, though she's now moved onto the herbal teas too. Somehow I never acquired her taste for it though. My Dad never really drank much tea or coffee except when they were served to him at work. He preferred to drink colas and I'm sure that all the sugar in them did him a lot of harm, though his doctor wouldn't admit it.
@Hate2Iron (8021)
My tastes have changed over the years, but now I like my coffee, strong and black!
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Hate2Iron I don't mind drinking it black, but I prefer to add milk. Do you add sugar to yours?
@Hate2Iron (8021)
@Gina145 ... oddly enough, no. I like it just strong and black. I have been doing my best to consume as little sugar as possible. Sometimes it's easier than other times lol.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Hate2Iron Lately I've started trying to cut down on sugar too, but it's really difficult because I'm addicted to chocolate.
@Micmac (9474)
I like decaf coffee without sugar and milk. Also, decaf tea with some sugar and milk. I take herbal teas with honey and no milk.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Micmac I've never tried anything decaf. The main reason I drink coffee is because I need the caffeine on the days I don't get enough sleep. Otherwise I prefer to drink herbal teas. I have added honey to them in the past, but lately some people are saying that honey isn't any better for us than sugar. I'm confused
@Micmac (9474)
@Gina145 I guess both sugar and honey add calories. So take them in moderation if concerned about gaining weight or for health reasons. One advantage of honey is that it's good for eyesight, so I've been told. Honey somehow brings out more flavor of herbal teas to my taste though.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Micmac It's not my weight I'm worried about, but I'm trying to force myself to eat what's healthy - only there are so many different theories about that that I really don't know whom to believe. Some say honey is good, others say it's bad. I don't know who's right. But my biggest problem is that I'm addicted to chocolate.
@wetnosedogs (1554)
Coffee, strong and black. I like tea, but only drink it when I am sick.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@wetnosedogs If you like it you should drink it when you're well too. Why save it for when you can't enjoy it fully?
@else34 (13602)
• New Delhi, India
@Gina145,I prefer tea to coffee.And unlike you,I love it to be sweetened.I love sweets as much as I love chilly.My younger brother never adds sugar to his coffee or tea.Yes,he loves both equally.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@else34 When I was younger I always had tea or coffee with sugar as that's what my parents did. It was hard to change, but I learned to like them better without sugar. I do love sweet things though, especially chocolate.
@ison_1 (1241)
I like my tea English breakfast with milk and one sugar. I don't like coffee at all!!
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@ison_1 You seem to be in the minority when it comes to coffee. I suppose milk and one sugar is sensible as long as you don't have too much sugar in your diet. Not that I'm qualified to talk when I eat so much chocolate
• Japan
I drink tea and coffee black now. I don't add any stuff to my coffee or tea that much anymore. On a few occasions, though, I add cream to my coffee when it tastes too strong. I still love caramel macchiato and cappucino. Childhood memories, I guess? My parents used to allow me to eat the sugar-sprinkled cream off of the top of the latter after a meal.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@foxontherails I've never had caramel macchiato, but I love cappuccino. I only drink it when I go out though.
@kaka135 (14115)
I like drinking coffee and tea since I was young. My grandfather and father like to drink Chinese tea, so I started to drink Chinese tea when I was young. I don't really like English tea. If I drink English tea, I just drink it without sugar and milk. As for coffee, I used to drink it with sugar, but no milk when I was young. I started to like adding milk when I was in college. But, I just don't like to drink black coffee, I think it's too bitter.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@kaka135 I think it depends what kind of coffee you drink. Some of them are a lot more bitter than others. The one I drink doesn't taste too bad without milk, but I prefer to add milk anyway.
I like coffee that is both regular and decaf mixed w/ a little Kroger brand coffee creamer and NO SUGAR. I don't drink tea, it makes me wild. Even decaf tea.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That's really interesting @Druscilla034 . I've never heard of tea having that effect on anyone before.
@cessy_08 (308)
• Dublin, Ireland
I always like my coffee with milk (latte) with half a teaspoon of brown sugar. I have a cup in the morning everyday and my day seems incomplete without it. During the day or before going to bed, I'd drink a cup of tea. It could be green tea, genmaicha, Chamonile, etc. I don't really have any preferences with tea except that I don't put anything in it. If it was English Breakfast tea or Earl Grey, sometimes I add a bit of milk.
@mkg123 (256)
I like both but i drink tea more than coffee because in my family mostly people drink tea.
@Porcospino (18428)
• Denmark
I drink both tea and coffee, but I usually prefer coffee. In my family most people drink coffee, but I didn't drink coffee till I was in my early 20's. I drink different types of coffee. At home or when I visit friends I drink black coffee, but when I visit a cafe I often drink cappuccino. I also drink iced coffee with vanilla.
@Gina145 (3974)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Porcospino Iced coffee with vanilla sounds really nice. I can't remember the last time I had iced coffee, but now you've made me want one.
Hot tea I enjoy with just a touch of honey. I like my coffee mostly black.