Idris Elba as James Bond?

@phyrre (2324)
I've been hearing rumors of this, and I've been reading some very interesting articles. There seems to be this debate going on about Idris Elba and whether he should play James Bond. Then, of course, the question inevitably turns to whether or not there can ever be a black James Bond. I find these arguments so interesting, because people have a really hard time explaining their thinking or justifying their beliefs. The argument usually goes, "The James Bond character is a white, Scottish male and therefore that's who the actor should be." But the actors who have played bonds aren't all Scottish. Pierce Brosnan is Irish, Moore and Dalton are English, and Lazenby is Australian. Idris Elba is British, so the nationality thing is out. So then it comes down to, "Well, he can't do it because he's black." Which sounds racist but it's not. I get it. Bond is supposed to be Bond and the profile of the character is a white male. As a writer myself, I totally support that. I would hate for my white characters to be cast black and my black characters to be cast white because that's just who they are, who they developed as in my head, and that's teh character. I think that's where it derails, in my mind, since what really made me question my sanity is people using the arguments, "Well, you wouldn't want a white guy playing Nelson Mandela in a documentary, would you?" Well, no. Because Nelson Mandela is a real person. Hell, as much as I love Idris Elba, I wouldn't want him playing Mandela, either (although he did, and I'm dying to watch the movie because I want to see how that one played out since I just do not picture him as Mandela). I want someone who looks somewhat like Mandela. My mind cannot fathom the leap between changing how an artist visualizes a character to changing how a real human is portrayed. Anyway, what do you guys think of having a black James Bond? Do you think Idris Elba would be right for the role? Who would you like to see as the next Bond?
@1wldngl (3991)
Skin color is irrelevent. No one will ever match Sean Connery, but I thought Daniel Craig was so totally NOT suave at all. This man, by appearance, looks like he might actually pull it off. I say go for it.
@1wldngl (3991)
@phyrre I'm for that. Maybe it's time to retire 007, since Sean is too old. And no one else can carry the torch. I happen to think that men are men and women are women. He's quite handsome at least. Like I said, skin is just skin.
@phyrre (2324)
@1wldngl It's true. The latest Bond movies seem to not have gone over all that well, so it might just be that it's time to move on. xD He is really handsome, and I love his voice! I agree that skin is just skin. But I think maybe I come at it from a different perspective? I'm a writer, so in my novel I have very concrete ideas of what my characters look like. I have two main characters, Zara and Ansel. Zara is dark-skinned from Africa, and Ansel is light-skinned from France. I would balk at reversing their skin color just because, A, it serves no purpose and B, that's not who they are. It has nothing to do with race or skin color, it's just that I have spent foreverrrr on this novel and this is how I see them, like they were real, and real people just look however they look. Does that make sense? Gosh, now I sound kind of crazy, don't I? xD Maybe it's just a writer thing...promise you won't send the men in white coats after me?
@1wldngl (3991)
@phyrre No...I understand. It's like if one were red headed and one dark. You can't change a red head once they are a red head! I have a serious crush on Will Smith...it's those ears!
Because hes black he cant be James Bond??? haha wot a crock lolz Just like Dracula cant be Blacula..I kid you not, I was just watching this scary? movie name Scream, Blacula, Scream.. Well I would think anyone would be better as James Bond than Pierce Brosnan..he sux at James Bond to me anywayhahah
@phyrre (2324)
Whaaaaat? We can't be friends anymore. I love Pierce Brosnan! No, I'm sorry, we have to break up. It's not me, it's you. I mean...no, wait, that was right. I admit, I don't care for Bond that much. But this does have me very interested, as I really like Pierce Brosnan and I do like Idris Elba. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.
@phyrre lolz I knew it, I just knew you would love him. I loved him in other films but for some reason I just think he doesnt suit Bond haha I dunno, there is no other James Bond than Sean to me. Even wot was that other guys name Roger? noooo.
@phyrre (2324)
@TiarasOceanView Well, that's fair enough, maybe. As long as you like him as an actor in other things, I suppose we can still get on. Hubby is the exact opposite. To him, Pierce Brosnan is James Bond (well, and Sean Connery) and that's it. He gets visibly annoyed when I watch "Mamma Mia" because, "James Bond does not sing." xD