Goulash - What veggies can I add?

Defiance, Ohio
I grew up eating goulash as a kid. My boyfriend says he likes it to. It is basically macaroni noodles, ground hamburger, tomatoes, onions and garlic powder. Do you or have you eaten anything like this? What kind of other veggies can I add to this dish? Since, I am a type 2 diabetic. i try to add as many different veggies as I can to a dish without changing what it would be called.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I usually add diced green peppers but you can add green, yellow or red bell peppers. I made this sort of dish (we don't call it goulash, but we don't call it anything) and I didn't have any plain diced tomatoes so I used a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. That gave it a kick, let me tell you.
• Defiance, Ohio
I think green peppers would work well with this dish.
@owstalaga (4553)
oooh, goulash is delicious! Not sure, maybe you can add some sliced and diced eggplants? I'd definitely add some of that when I cook this again.
• Defiance, Ohio
I love trying new veggies in any dish. Eggplant would be anew one for me. Thank you.
I know you guys have to be careful about garlic and onions. I will guess that maybe bell peppers are a problem as well. I would look into cubes of egg plant, and zucchini or squash. Those are generally mild, but full of fiber and nutrition.
• Defiance, Ohio
I do love squash and zucchini. I will have to try it with eggplant. I never thought of adding that.
@IreneVincent (16025)
I like goulash but I don't eat it much anymore, if it's prepared with hamburger. I try to eat very little red meat, because I'm a cancer survivor. I would think that carrots would be a good vegetable to add.