Classic Horror Movies

@Raelove (13655)
Saco, Maine
I have long been a fan of horror and sci-fi movies, but not the stuff that's being made today. I've seen the trailers for all those so-called terrifying films, and they leave me wondering why anyone would bother to watch them. They're either all about mutant humans torturing and dismembering people, or movies about hauntings whose pace is so fast that I can't keep up. It's all done with high-speed digital photography designed to lift me off my seat, but it rarely works. My thing is the older Saturday-afternoon Creature-Double-Feature type of movies, like the original "Blob," with a very young Steve McQueen or the very first "Godzilla," with Raymond Burr. Last night, I watched the original though colorized version of "The Thing From Outer Space," which starred James Arness in the role of the monster. Having only the cheapest cable package now means that, if I want to watch some of these old movies, I have to buy them on DVD or borrow them from a library. I don't do Netflix or any other type of TV service, and I'm actually thinking of dumping cable altogether and going with a cheap indoor antenna. As for the horror movies, give me an old standby any day. I have seen a few more recent movies that I consider worth watching. But for the most part, I much prefer the classics.
@Avijit100 (874)
@Raelove I too have a defined interest in horror genre, especially from the 60's & 70's as they seem more original to me. These days the horror flicks are too complicated and only the sound and visual effects have improved but not the plot as it used to be 5-6 decades back. Try watching Rear Window & Vertigo starring James Stewart
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
I love "Rear Window." Another of my favorites.
I love Rear Window because Grace Kelly plays there. I lived 20 years in Monte-Carlo when she was still Princess there. She was a beautiful, real classy, woman.
Just like you, I like much better the old horror movies that the modern ones. I have seen all the ones you mention. If you are interested, several are available free for download on YouTube.
• Preston, England
I love the old Universal and Hammer horror classics. They were stylish way beyond their low budgets and brilliantly acted. Modern horror is all for gross out and big scale special effects but precious little plotting or acting.
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
@arthurchappell You are so right. I see no plots in any of them. Yet today's much younger reviewers insist there's some redeeming social value in some of those movies. I disagree. If I want to see blood and slashing, I can watch the evening news.
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
@arthurchappell The first one was the only good one, as was the first "Halloween." Sequels are generally never as good, with a few exceptions.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I agree with you some of the films now are too gory. I like the old ones. I saw one the other day that was on cable. It was a hoot. It was called Scream, Blacula, Scream.
i'm not the biggest fan of current horror movies. very few actually scare me and i think a lot of them use too much gore for the sake of using gore. there were a few that recently came out that actually managed to scare me but they all had to do with the paranormal. The first paranormal witness i thought was great and even if not scary, just an interesting story. I also enjoyed the first insidious and the first sinister. one movie i saw last year that i would recommend if you're a fan of classic horror is "it follows". it had a classic horror movie feel to it and even had music that was really similar to 80s horror/slasher. it was one of those movies i didn't think much of while watching and then i got home later that night and couldn't get it out of my head. these might not be your type of horror movies but i think theyre some of the better modern horror movies out there
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
I am generally not a fan of anything made after the 70's. But I did love "Poltergeist," the first two "Alien" movies, and a few others. I don't like slasher films at all, as I find them pointless. Today's so-called horror movies are just disgusting. They're not even scary, because I don't look at them long enough to BE scared!
@Raelove completely agree! then of the ones i've listed i would still recommend it follows and paranormal activity the first one if you havent seen it. the first paranormal activity is really different from the other ones. the budget was really low for a modern movie so it relies on scares with what it doesn't show you. and like i said for it follows, the movie had a classic horror feel to it. neither of them had blood and gore which im not a huge fan of.
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
@everybodylovespizza No. Blood and gore are not my thing. And have you noticed, too, how most horror movies, if not even most drama movies, always seem to feature a vomiting scene in them? What is that about? Is there an audience of people who actually like watching someone puke? I can't stand it, so I either switch the channel or clap my hands over my eyes.
@gudheart (12810)
I personally do not like horror movies as they really do leave me having nightmares at night! I used to love the Scream series.
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
I didn't care for any of the "Scream" movies. I didn't find them scary at all, as they were all very predictable. I'm more the haunted house or big scary lizard type of fan!
@gudheart (12810)
@Raelove I think that is why I liked them as they were not too scary and more of a jump out of my seat sort of film. I get so scared of demonic type horrors.
Yes I also like the older Science Fiction movies the best.
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
I just love some of those old outer space movies with the really fake sets and special effects. One of the best ones was the original "War of the Worlds," with Gene Barry in the starring role. VERY very good for its time, and NO blood or violence. High scare factor, too, when the large alien eye starts probing into the different buildings looking for victims. A very good modern remake starring Tom Cruise came out a few years ago, which was surpisingly NOT violent and very well done.
@echomonster (2228)
• Greenwood, Mississippi
I can appreciate both older and newer horror to an extent, but most "slashers" don't do anything for me and I do tend to prefer horror movies that have more deliberate pacing and slow buildups versus near constant thrills and chills. "The Thing from Another World" is a classic, though I also really enjoy John Carpenter's later remake called "The Thing" too. Probably my favorite new-to-me horror film that I've watched in the last year is an older movie (1944) called "The Uninvited" starring Ray Milliand. It has a way of being unsettling in a way that probably won't give you nightmares later on or make you shriek while watching but still really draws you into the story.
@Raelove (13655)
• Saco, Maine
Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" is terrific. One of myall-time favorites. I'm looking for a copy of it right now to have on hand for Halloween. I agree about the slow pace and buildup. And I resent having all the horror spelled out for me. I'd rather use my imagination.
• Bucharest, Romania
I personally prefer slasher movies that are pretty close to reality. I mean , I don't want a movie to seem like SF.
• Tel Aviv, Israel
the haunted house
@Asylum (45386)
• Manchester, England
I assume that you really meant "The Thing from Another World", which was a decent film. There are many good Sci-Fi or horror films from the past, but also a large amount of seriously poor ones as well. The horror genre was fine until a rapid series of zombie films began to appear, resulting in a dozen or more films all on the same theme and virtually remakes of each other.