Do you make your own jellies? What's the best way for me to learn how?

By Yuki
@yukimori (9072)
I've never tried it, but I think I need to start. I found a small jar of prickly pear cactus fruit jelly at Whole Foods last week. It's good, and unfortunately for me my kindergartner has decided that it's now her favorite jelly ever. So where should I start? Are there any good books you'd recommend that could teach me what I need to know to do it the right way? Websites? Do you have a favorite flavor to make? I'm surprised at the sheer variety of possibilities I've found so far! It definitely puts the grocery store selection to shame!
ball's cannin' company 's some useful info on their website 'n there's literally millions 'f recipes online. i'm particularly fond 'f blueberry jam myself, the hubs likes apple butter. the latter bein' a great thingy coz that poor apple tree out back is loaded! can ya grow prickly pears in yer neck 'f the woods? shame i can't send'ja some, i've a monster growin' by the drive!
@yukimori (9072)
I can't grow my own where we are now, but it's a short drive to where we can harvest fruit from wild prickly pear. I don't know why I didn't think to look on Ball's website. Thanks for the suggestion! I figure I'll be making all sorts of fancy-schmancy jams and jellies as soon as the family figures out they can custom-order them...
@yukimori yer welcome! yepperz, they'll keep ya jumpin' from one recipe to the next. jalapeno jelly 's quite tasty 's well. please make sure its alright in yer area to do such a harvest. some places 'f laws 'gainst takin' schtuff from the wild. ya can grow 'em in pots 'kin to other cacti - jest a thought.
@sofssu (14447)
Why not start making jellies with gelatin .. you have the so many flaours and it takes little to no effort to make the, Soak it in hot water and set it for about 4 hours. Gelatin is good for skin and bones ..
@yukimori (9072)
I'd rather have a real jelly made from the prickly pears than gelatin... it's not bad, but it doesn't go well spread on toast like we'd use the jelly. And actually, I've just realized that what I probably want to make is a jam, not a jelly...
We get ready mixes here. I normally improve on these mixes by adding some fruit.
@seren3 (387)
I have no experience although a friend Bodiemor and I plan to try grapefruit marmalade soon. She has trees and more fruit than they can juice or eat. We'll be checking Goodwill for mason jars. I'm sure we'll use a search engine for guidance.
@PatZAnthony (13056)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We make most things ourselves-look at youtube! There are always good ideas there.