Am I being overambitious?

By Gina
@Gina145 (3877)
Johannesburg, South Africa
A few days ago I created an account at Blogjob and yesterday I created my first blog. I've just published my second post and I'm already starting to think I've made a bad mistake. No, I don't regret joining Blogjob. I think the site's got potential and I plan to persist with it. But in my haste to get started, I think my choice of topic for my first blog was overambitious. I called it "Johannesburg Daily Photos". Don't get me wrong, I've got an archive of thousands of photos, so finding one to publish every day shouldn't be a problem. It's the 300 words that have to accompany each photo that I'm worried about. Some photos can speak for themselves and writing 300 words makes me drift off topic, detracting from the photo rather than adding to it. I think my best option might be to look for a different site for my photo blog as well as a different topic to write about at Blogjob. And when I find one, I won't put 'daily' in the title.
@Rollo1 (16736)
• Boston, Massachusetts
With some themes you have the option of turning off the date, so no one will know if it is Daily or not. I saw some really nice photo blog themes, but I did wonder about the 300 words, since that is a lot for a photo blog. Maybe you can make it little stories and interesting info about Johannesburg instead, which will allow you to include a photo. But it's also alright to have another site just for writing whatever you want. Blogger is a good free site for blogs which you can monetize.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Rollo1 The reason I chose to make it daily is because there's a blog called City Daily Photo which allows people to sign up and share new posts to their own photo blogs on a daily basis. I'm not very good at promoting my own work and thought this would be a good opportunity. They want a little written content, but the photos are the most important part. To be honest I created an account at Blogger weeks ago, but I wasn't sure whether I'd need things like my own privacy policy there so I was scared to go any further. I'll have to have another look at it.
@bagarad (7418)
• Paso Robles, California
Which themes have you found that are good for photos? I'm working with one I thought would be good, but it's more complicated than I expected.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@bagarad Was this question directed at me or at @Rollo1 ? I haven't a clue where to start looking at themes, so I'd be interested to know more about it too.
I have not joined yet because I have very limited time right now. To write a few lines it's pretty easy, but you have to spend some time to put together 300 words that make sense.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@LadyDuck That's part of my problem. That's why I think putting 'daily' in the title was a mistake, but as I mentioned in my comment to Anja, that's because of the site I wanted to use to promote it. I'm thinking of rather starting a blog about bonsai, because it should be a lot easier to write 300 word posts on that. But I'd really like to earn some money from my photos too. I just don't think Blogjob is the right place for that. Even if you've got limited time, it might still be worth your while to join. You don't need to post every day as they give points for commenting on blogs and in the forums too, and even two points per day just for logging in.
@Gina145 I have beautiful photos of Switzerland, I could start a blog about tourism in this country. I hope to have more time from the end of the next week.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@LadyDuck That sounds really interesting. I look forward to seeing those photos, though I doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to tour Switzerland.
@yukimori (8285)
I've found that setting aside a specific time to do something and focusing on it consistently really helps with reaching goals like that. I'd also suggest working on it the entire time, even if you finish "early." By doing that, you could create posts that you could use in the future, and that would allow you to "skip" creating content to post a few times a week if you need to. I hope you figure out something that works for you!
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks @yukimori . I don't think my problem is so much the amount of work as that the blog and the site don't seem to be a good match. I won't give up just yet, but I'll try to find a better place to use it and create something more suitable for Blogjob.
@yukimori (8285)
@Gina145 Ah, I see! It seems like a photo-a-day thing might be better suited for a journal site or a site dedicated to sharing photography. At least, that's where I've always thought of going when I tried to complete a challenge like that.
Good luck on that blog . But i think if you have many pictures as you said then posting one each day would be fine with you .
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@SIMPLYD Posting the pictures isn't the problem. It's finding enough to write about them that's difficult.
@Gina145 Yes, that is the main problem also that's why i don't like dreating my own blog .
bless yer heart, i'm proud 'f ya fer spreadin' yer wings 'n tryin' other venues. yepperz, sometimes its most diff'cult to stay 'on topic' when ya gotta pay mind to how many words 're used. i think findin' a place to display fer photos 's'n excellent idea. wish ya the best 'f luck in whate'er ya decide to do. sure didn't know ya were hangin' yer hat here - i've missed'ja!
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@crazyhorseladycx I haven't been here very long either - just under a month. It's been a frustrating year because I tried a few sites which said they would pay but never did. I won't be joining any brand new ones again in a hurry. I've been asking around about photos, but it looks like it's going to be difficult to earn money posting them without much word content, so I'm not sure what to do. I only kept that blog going to three days because I was finding the writing part too difficult and was writing too much personal stuff on what was supposed to be a photo blog. I guess it's never good to rush into something like that without knowing what I'm doing. I've got a couple of other ideas for proper BlogJob blogs, now I just need to find time to get started. I certainly won't be committing to adding to them every day though.
@Gina145 big ! yer not 'lone in yer frustrations, i've spoken with many folks who 've come out jest 's disappointed 's yerself 's to those 'empty promises'. always wise to proceed with much caution coz the world seems jest filled with folks jest waitin' to take 'dvantage 'f others 've ya thought 'f doin' somethin' 'kin to a coffee table book 'n puttin' it on amazon? 'tis jest a shame to 've all those beautiful photos 'n not share 'em with the world. that way the cost 'd be nothin' but'cher time 'n they'd handle all transactions.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@crazyhorseladycx I'd love to write a Kindle book one day, but I've never really given much thought to a coffee table book. Sometime I'll have to look around Amazon to see whether books like that do well there. Thanks for the suggestion
Yes sometimes once we make a choice it might need a bit of adjusting. Its okay it is not like you are tied to the site. I hope you find a replacement for it, though I do not know of any.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks @TiarasOceanView . Maybe somebody else will have a suggestion. If not, I'll have to do some exploring on my own.
@Gina145 Will you be able to delete your content and account? I would always want to have that option too.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@TiarasOceanView Yes, I can delete my content and the blog if I want to. I don't want to delete my account though, just come up with a different topic to write about. And not commit to writing on the same topic every day.
@sofssu (14878)
It would be a great way to start writing everyday. However, my concern is won't you be forfeiting your right to all your pictures too on this site?
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@sofssu I was worried about that in the beginning, but I was able to confirm that I retain the rights to my content. It was answered in this forum thread:
I’m new, and haven’t written anything on here yet. Before I do, I would like to understand who owns the content that I write. If I make a blog, can I take it down and move it, content and all, if I chose to? Or does it belong to Blogjob? This topic was mod