Opinions: We've All Got at Least One

@Raelove (14005)
Saco, Maine
When I was in my 30's, I went through a period of speaking out about anything and everything. I wrote letters-to-the-editor about the most ridiculous things, and I managed to ruffle some feathers in the process. I laugh now to think back on what a fool I made of myself at times! Today, though, it's harder and harder to voice an opinion without inciting some sort of riot! Last I knew, Freedom of Speech was still one of our assured rights here in the U.S. But more and more, we have to temper our opinions in such a way so as not to offend anyone. Have we all become so thin-skinned that we can't take what I've always called Constructive Criticism? And here's another thing: our airwaves--TV, radio, internet--and our newspapers are nothing BUT opinion now. There is very little NEW news being reported, unless it's a "new" crime or some "new" political development taking place somewhere. Even then, it's not really NEW, as there is "nothing new under the sun," as the old saying goes. I think we're in deep doodoo if we can't speak our minds, as long as we do it civilly and with an intent to help rather than harm. There will always be those who will take something we say wrong. But that's their problem, isn't it? What kind of world would it be if all we ever did talk about was the weather? We can't change it, no matter how much we complain about it. And as for all the other stuff, IS it possible to change any of it simply by talking about it? I'm beginning to wonder...
@mom210 (5817)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I do voice my opinion as well, but I have learned there are some people that just will not listen and feel their way is the only way. There is no point in discussing anything with them
@Raelove (14005)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. There's an ongoing issue here near where I live that has divided the city I grew up in. If you're not on the side of the rabble-rousers, you're dirt. It's sad, and I've seen a lot of enmities rise up from it. Totally unecessary, as the issue truly does not affect any of these people. They've just convinced themselves that it does.
@Rollo1 (16666)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I totally believe in the right to speak freely about the weather. The media have abandoned their sacred duty as the Fourth Estate. They do not practice freedom of the press to inform the public, they do not wish to inform the public. They wish to shape opinion. And that is all of the media, regardless of political leanings.
@Raelove (14005)
• Saco, Maine
You are so right. And what we've ended up with is a bunch of issues that everyone has an opinion about but that no one wants to actually do anything about. What good is knowing about something if no one is interested in finding a solution for it?
@gudheart (12808)
Some people are set in their ways no matter how much we discuss things. I think all news is lately is biased opinions being aired.
@Raelove (14005)
• Saco, Maine
I agree. And it's particularly obvious at the local level where the news teams are getting more humanitarian as opposed to just delivering the news. It's all about ratings and viewership.