Spiders Don't Take Hints

@Rollo1 (16652)
Boston, Massachusetts
It's been a good summer for spiders. We've had a bumper crop of them this year. I have never seen so many spiders all around the outside of the house. There are webs built in ever corner and crevice, hanging from every porch railing and anything else that sits still too long. There have also been many more spiders inside than I like. I don't mind spiders, usually. But I do prefer that they remain unobtrusive. No dangling on a string of silk in front of my face while I am brushing my teeth, or anything like that. I noticed that the spiders are also trying to take over inside of the house. Well, I can't allow that. So, I gathered up my dust-buster and went room to room, busting cobwebs. In the process, I found a couple of spiders in residence. I didn't want to suck them up into my vacuum, but getting one of them to abandon the web was not easy. I felt a little guilty. There he was, hanging on his web, enjoying himself, and I come along to destroy his hard work. I don't know if spiders actually enjoy themselves, but I like to think they get some pleasure in life. After all, spiders don't know that they look like the aliens in Falling Skies. They think they are quite presentable. They only have to look good to other spiders, right? I tried letting the suction tug a bit at the edges of the web, hoping the spider would abandon it. But one spider was determined not to leave his well-built home. I dislodged one end of the web, and still he clung to it. Finally, I dislodged the anchoring spot and he ran for it. He ran right towards my bed. I couldn't have that, so I had to chase him down with a piece of paper towel and smush him. If only spiders could take the hint. If only, upon hearing the whir of the great sucking machine, they could guess that flight was the best next step. Then so many of them would not have died today. Do you kill spiders in your house, or do you consider them to be beneficial as they eat other insects?
I like the idea that spiders think they are quite presentable. There are plenty this year, I have vacuumed the web last Monday, I had guests and I do not appreciate aliens in my home.
@Rollo1 (16652)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Spiders probably look pretty attractive to one another. But their webs are so yucky in the house. Vacuuming is the easiest way to deal with them.
@Rollo1 I agree, that is what I do, I get my vacuum and I tour the house.
Ok totally laughed outloud. Yeah, inside spiders I try to catch in a cup and let loose outside, if I can. Not a big fan, but don't mind them if we all leave each other be
@Rollo1 (16652)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Indoor spiders don't want to live outdoors though. They probably just sneak back in.
@Rollo1 then the face of the wrath of the bug eating puppy
@Angelee_27 (3473)
I kill every single spider I see in my home! I do NOT like spiders. I don't even like them being on my porch or something, but I won't kill them then. As long as they don't come in. If they come in they're getting squashed by me with something! Except the big ones, I'll let my boyfriend get those!
@Rollo1 (16652)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I don't blame you. Spiders sneak around at night and who knows what they are doing?
@Rollo1 I'm afraid of one crawling in my mouth while I'm sleeping. Of course, they say you eat many spiders in your sleep anyway. I just don't want to believe it!
@sofssu (14490)
No other creature than my pets are allowed into my house. I drive them out or kill them.. I am cold blooded in that. I use the vacuum cleaner on them all the time.. less of a mess.
@Rollo1 (16652)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I can never get flies with the vacuum, and if I do, they get out when I empty it. So I electrocute flies with my electric fly swatter.