Vote For My Baby!

@Rollo1 (16668)
Boston, Massachusetts
I am one of those people who thinks all babies are cute. They are not all "beautiful" (some of them look like Martians, seriously) but they are all cute. And I admit to having succumbed to those pleas on Facebook to go and "Vote for little Whatsitsname" on some website where people win something for having the cutest baby alive. But it's wrong. It's all so wrong. Every mother and grandmother out there is desperate to have proof that their little bundle of joy is the best and the most beautiful. But every baby is the best and most beautiful to its parents and grandparents. Even the Martian ones. It's getting out of hand. I have to step away. No more voting for the cutest anything. Let kids be kids and not worry about winning contests. No beautiful baby contests. No beauty pageants for little girls dressed like hookers. It's all twisted and wrong. Besides, everyone knows that my children were the most beautiful babies ever born. Do you get roped into voting in these beautiful baby contests? Do you feel guilty if you don't do it for a friend?
I do not want to participate to these contents, just because it's wrong. As you say every baby is the most beautiful to his parents. There is an Italian saying "even a cockroach is beautiful to his mother", I suppose it's the same for Martians.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think it's weird of parents to get their feelings of self-worth through their children. Yes, we love them, but they are separate people. It's really more of a pride thing with parents, but it's not healthy for children to be voted up or down.
@glenniah (1205)
• Mandurah, Australia
I only had one child but I always say, when it turns out perfect, once is enough. I got that saying from the show Cagney and Lacey, don;t even remember the context now. Still it seems to work
@glenniah I had no children, but I have a niece (the daughter of by brother) who I love as she was my daughter. For me is enough.
Some babies really do,look like Martians.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
They do. But, they're still cute. Right?
I've seen some pretty ugly babies ......but then again someone may not think my kid is so cute either. Eh whatever. Babies are precious and innocent regardless of what they look like.
@sacmom (14336)
Hmm, I don't know about that! My children were the most beautiful babies ever born! lol Seriously though, I'm happy to say, no, I do not get roped into it.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
See? Everyone knows that their babies are the most beautiful.
@cgalavia (1410)
I have appreciated what is like to have a baby when I started to have my own and the feeling is overwhelming.Yes,my baby is the most beautiful for me but I also like joining them if in case there is a contest,just to boost the confidence.It's more of helping to establish their competence and confidence when in front of so many people.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
It is possible that it might boost their confidence, but for most people, I would rather boost their confidence in their intelligence and skills and good qualities and not their looks. but winning prizes might be nice.
@cgalavia (1410)
@Rollo1 Many ways can be done to discover and to develop our children's abilities and make it into a full excellence.I do believe participating in a contest is one of it.Contest is not only about looks ,it's also about the power of thought especially in the Q&A portion.Intelligence,skills and qualities can be develop and enhance in real experiences,real interaction and in substantial entities.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@cgalavia Beautiful baby contests don't have any questions or skill testing, they're just babies. But their parents like to win, which is the real problem, I think.
@fufurinha (11387)
• Portugal
I always vote for something when a friends asks me to
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I wish my friends would vote for who I want for president, etc. Wait, I mean, I wish I had friends. Wait. No I don't.
@fufurinha (11387)
• Portugal
@Rollo1 ahahaha, you're a bit messed up lol
@glenniah (1205)
• Mandurah, Australia
@Rollo1 So maybe you don't need friends so much as just being powerful enough to make people follow you and vote for who you want to be president. Wouldn't that be something not that it would happen but it would be good for just a short time,
@dodo19 (29380)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Like you, I think all babies are cute, in their own way. As a mom, i feel mine are cute and I have a special connection to them, but that's because I'm their mom. But that doesn't mean I don't find other babies cute. I'm just not the time to prove mine are the best or whatever. To me, each child is special and unique, whether they're my kids or not. I don't understand those who try to prove their kids are the cutest. They all are, as far as I'm concerned.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think it has to do with the parent's ego more than anything to do with the child.
@dodo19 (29380)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Rollo1 I think you're probably right. The parent just has to prove they have the best.
@sissy15 (5174)
I've put my kid in contests, but I don't feel bad if he doesn't win. Anymore it's not about which is the cutest but who has the most people voting for them (usually their own family and friends). For me it's all about the prize and less about my kid being the cutest. I mean do I think my kid is adorable? Of course, but he's mine, every parent should feel that way about their kid. I mean do you know how much some of those prizes could help? 500 dollar gift cards, a year supply of diapers. That's why I did it. I vote for my friends sometimes when they post stuff, I'm not going to go through hoops to vote though. If it's a simple hitting like sure I'll do it. Being cute is all a matter of opinion anyway. What one person finds adorable someone else may not. My son was born with a cleft lip, so maybe part of me wanted to prove that cleft babies are beautiful too. I posted a picture of my son cleft lip and all, and while I didn't get the votes to win, I still saw him as nothing but beautiful. At the end of the day our opinion of our children is all that really matters. At the end of the day I can find a baby ugly, but they are cute to someone, and that's what matters. My son would probably make a good model, he poses and will stop crying and smile the second he sees a camera, he's a ham, which is annoying at times when I want an honest shot, but maybe one day he will be a model who knows.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
My daughter was a ham for the camera, too. She still is and she's 21. That doesn't change. I hadn't considered the prizes, which I suppose might be worth it, but you're right - the winner is the one who has the parent that can round up the most votes and be the most persuasive on social media. The pushy parent wins. All babies are cute, and they are all wonderful. I think it's great that you posted your baby's photo, because you want people to see the beauty you see. Maybe all babies are beautiful, but honestly, some parents aren't.
@sissy15 (5174)
@Rollo1 I agree some parents are horrible. I don't get the parents that go to extremes. Like toddlers in tiaras that seems insane to me. I get the prizes, which is mostly why I did it. Darn that year supply of diapers could have came in handy lol, but I'm just not pushy enough. I feel like I'm pestering people when I ask them to vote for my child, so I don't make a huge thing out of it, which is why my kid doesn't win. I would ask close friends and family. I think he got a few random votes, but it's really not about which kid people really find cute. My son would probably love modeling, except for the constantly trying on clothes part. He is good with one outfit, but I have to bribe him to try on multiple outfits, but he likes looking nice. He loves hats, or putting gel in his hair. He likes to look handsome. My son has had his cleft lip repaired so he just has a scar now as a reminder, but I have always thought my kid was adorable, and most of my close friends and family did too. Maybe by the time my son is 21 he will be looking for a career in modeling lol. I'm just happy he doesn't have self esteem issues, but we have always made sure he knows that he is adorable, and we make sure he knows there is more to him than just looks too.
I only did it for my niece and a baby that was recovering from SBS. I really don't like to compare though because all babies are the cutest in their parents or grandparents eyes. But of course MY baby boy is the cutest and fairest of them all. All that pushing and pain was worth all of the cuteness he brings lol. I would never put him in those contests or modeling though. No thank you.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
From what I have seen of the lives of most kids who were in contests or were child actors, they don't grow up to live satisfying lives. The attention fades and it makes them feel bad.
@IvySaysHi (4226)
I agree that all babies are adorable and no I don't really like those contests. I never put my son in one and never will but I have voted for friends kids because being friends
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I know, it's hard to say no to friends. But I have done it so many times... sigh.
@sofssu (14708)
Nah.. I love all babies. Today I was playing with my domestic help's baby.. she is an angel.
@Rollo1 (16668)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Babies are nice people, although they do sometimes scream for hours. But they can't help it.
@glenniah (1205)
• Mandurah, Australia
I always thought new babies looked like Winston Churchill, I would never vote for the cutest baby. That could encourage the mother of the cutest baby to go on and force the kid into beauty contests and such.
occ I vote for a friends kid when they are trying to get selected to compete nationally on dance stuff, but that's about it