More Fun With Pork

@Raelove (17733)
Saco, Maine
&OceanTiara mentioned eating pork pie for breakfast when she lived in England, and that reminded me of another French-Canadian product that is normally eaten on toast. It's called pork cretons, and it's basically ground pork cooked with lots of spices to the consistency of a thick spread, which is then chilled until it's solid. It's definitely an acquired taste, as it's very fatty. I loved it as a child, but when I tried it again recently after not having had it in more than 50 years, I wasn't crazy about it. It was too greasy for me. There is a version made with turkey that is probably not as fatty, but I've never tried it. Here in Maine, it's been distributed for years by the Mailhot Family Company and sold in small plastic tubs. It keeps for awhile in the fridge and can be frozen. We always had it on toast for breakfast. But it's also eaten as a spread for a cold sandwich, too.
I have never had this Rachel. It sounds like a very warming fattening up food too. Comfort that I would love. It also sounds like a form of pateĀ“. Good for cold winter days and nights. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes! I am loving these.
@Raelove (17733)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. It's very like a pate.
@Raelove Most people hate pateĀ“, not me
@Raelove (17733)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView To me, it depends on what it's made from. I don't like liverwurst at all, but I've tasted other types of pate's made with chicken that weren't bad.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
The Man would be very happy to have a pork pie and often talks about tubs of things to spread on sandwiches. That's going a bit far for me, even though I am an obliging cook when it comes to British dishes he misses, but pork paste is not something I can even think about.
@Raelove (17733)
• Saco, Maine
Many people confuse cretons with hogshead cheese. They're similar but not the same, as cretons is made with good ground pork as one would get in a roast or chops. Cretons is very spicy and very rich, as it still contains a lot of the congealed fat from the cooking process.