My Reading Habits

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
I've loved to read since I picked up my first library books in the 1950's. I've never had a particularly favorite genre but try to read whatever tweaks my interest. I've had some disappointments, but if nothing else, I've become a better writer myself because of the mistakes I've seen others make. While I keep my reading varied by including a classic every now and then, I have a particular fondness for the British writers. Up till recently, I'd never read anything by Mary Stewart. During my last venture to our small local library, I found one entitled "The Stormy Petrel" by her on the "free book" pile. It's a hardcover in perfect condition, and I am enjoying it immensely. I like her gentle style and love her descriptions of the British and Scottish countryside. It's not a long read either, topping out at just around 200 pages, and I'm halfway through it. As I do with all books I like, I am taking it slow, as I will be sad to reach the last page! This writer's gift is clearly the ability to pull the reader into the setting. As I turn the pages, I feel that I am there on the coast of England in the shadow of a big old vacant house and vacationing in a small cottage near the shore surrounded by huge flocks of sea birds. It's why I love to read so much. I can go anywhere I want without leaving my chair!
@silvermist (20100)
I do like to hold a book and read more than reading on the net.How wonderful it is to turn the pages,smell the book and read .I am not going to give up that for anything.
I am never going to give up a "printed" book, ever!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh neither am I. I've written several ebooks, but I don't even own a reader! I much prefer the real thing.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@marlina Same here. I love the feel, weight, and the smell of books, the older the better.
@gregario888 (1282)
• Aurangabad, India
Oh those good ol' times! In this cyber age, how much I miss them. I remember, I once bought the book,"The Omen", by David Seltzer, while on a train journey. It was such a gripping novel that I hardly let it go during that journey, the co-passengers were looking at me, as if I was barmy or something!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Well, we may be in this "cyber age," but I still read books the old-fashioned way: by riffling pages and smelling them every once in awhile to get the scent of all the places they've been!
• Aurangabad, India
@Raelove The net, and chores, as well as the job, takes away so much of your time, that very little is left, for the books.
I love reading also since the age of 5 when my sister taught me how to. Then I was wild, I read everything I could find even the labels on jars and boxes. Read in French then later on I started to read the English labels. It was like I couldn't be one minute without reading.