Son Dies After Parents Try to "Teach Him a Lesson" in Drinking

Wow, talk about a case of parenting gone wrong. Apparently, these parents wanted to teach their 16 year old son a 'lesson' about drinking. They decide to have him drink whiskey to 'get him sick' in hopes it would scare him from possibly becoming an alcoholic later on. Long story short, he got alcohol poisoning from this 'lesson' and died. His parents are now being charged with involuntary manslaughter and will receive up to 20 years in prison. This is just crazy to me, and very sad! Obviously, they had good intentions with this lesson, but it just went completely wrong. What do you think of the parent's 'lesson'? Would you use the same method to teach your children not to drink?
The mother and stepfather of 16-year-old Kendal Balls claim they were trying to teach him "a lesson about alcohol," but it was a lesson that killed him.
Wow, that is crazy! I couldn't even begin to imagine something like that. That is messed up on so many levels.
Yeah, I feel sorry for the parents. Not only for the loss of a child but I am sure they feel so guilty and blame themselves. It has to be hard on them.
@Angelee_27 I feel sorry for them in the sense that they lost their son. I do not feel sorry for them in the sense that they will have to do jail time and being charged. For there are plenty of better ways to teach your child not to drink. That was plain 'stupid' on their part.
@TexanTornado I do agree, it was not the proper way to teach their son a lesson and it's was absolutely stupid. However, I do feel that they meant no harm and was trying to do good. They just went about it completely wrong.
@Angelee_27 First I would not do such a thing. Second these parents have a very very BAD concept of teaching a lesson. If they would have checked things out they would have known that what happened was almost a guaranteed outcome. They Murdered their own son!
@gudheart (12742)
I agree, shows just how bad they are at parenting.
Yeah, I don't understand the concept or point they were trying to make here, especially when the step-father and a friend (I am hoping that it was the step-father's adult friend and not the child's friend) were drinking themselves. I think that the best way to teach a child is to "lead by example" rather than to help them overdo on the thing you are trying to keep him or her from doing in the first place.
@Angelee_27 That seems like a much more reasonable, responsible and effective way to handle the situation.
@lady1993 (19729)
Would you use the same method to teach your children not to drink? definitely not...that is just insane maybe i would try to show him the bad effects f drinking - from documentary or youtube fails
When I was caught smoking I was made to smoke till I got sick. I would not do that to my child ever.
That's so horrible. I get they were trying to teach him a lesson, but obviously that was overboard! Poor kid, Accidental or not, these parents will have to live with this for the rest of their lives....
@gudheart (12742)
That is very sad indeed. I am not a fan of the way they tried to teach him about the negative side of it, there are other ways.
@gregario888 (1282)
• Aurangabad, India
Makes awful reading! And an eyeopener for any parent, who believe in an iron handed dealing with his/her kid.
Those two are evil..pure evil. There is no excuse for what they did.
@fufurinha (11517)
• Portugal
The world is going crazy! We need to be careful!
• Williamsburg, Virginia
They were so wrong. I would never do that to teach my child.
@LeaPea2417 (21596)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is a very unwise thing that the parents did. They do deserve prison time.