Why aren't parents more observant when it comes to their children?

@rosekiss (30152)
Eugene, Oregon
Today, when I was at Walmart, I observed two children wandering around picking up things off the shelves, but the worst thing of all, is they were wandering away from their parents, and they never seemed to be to concerned either. I decided that it was more importantt to watch out for the children so that nothing would happen to them. The parents were so engrossed on shopping and getting their groeceries, that the kids could take off, and they would never see them go. I don't understand why parents can't be more observant, or better yet, hold their hand, or put one or both in the cart. They finally did get the kdis after they got down looking for what they needed, and I told them where the kdis were, and the mom casually got them both, as if they did nothing wrong, and put the daughter in the cart. What they did with the boy, I don't know, as I went about my business at that time, as I felt it was safe to go on since they had the kids with them. I just wish that parents would be more observant and watch their children better.
@howard96h (11665)
• New York, New York
HI, that is very annoying when you see this happen and it happens a lot and in many many stores. What I don't understand is aren't these parents afraid that their children could be at risk for being snatched by some crazy person?
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
That is the same question that I am asking myself as well. That is why I decided not to leave and stay rightt there until they got what they needed. It was so sad to see the kids wander off, and them not do anythng about it.[
@howard96h (11665)
• New York, New York
@rosekiss Well thanks to you the kids were safe until their parents were reunited with the children.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@howard96h That is why I stayed there, as I didn't want to leave and somethsing happen. i would have felt very bad about it. I am glad that it turned out okay though.
How old were the children? I have observed so many times, where toddlers are running around stores, running away from their parents etc. My kids were always stuck in the cart. I even know people who had the 'leashes', a device you can hold on to and place the other end to the child's arm. However now days kids are ignored or given too much freedom. These are the parents that will scream the loudest if something happened to their child. God forbid that it would.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
They were very young, not more than two or three years old. That is way to young to let children just wander away like that. Something could have seriously happened to them, and the parents wouldn't have seen it happen. I am glad I was there so I could makes sure that they stayed safe.
@rosekiss It just baffles me as how parents can do that. It's something I have never understood. I have to agree with that is way too young to just let the kids roam around freely in a public place, where so much can happen.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@TexanTornado Maybe I was meant to be there at that time I was, as something could have really happened to them. The thing of it is, they didn't seem worried one bit abut them wondering off. I was glad I was there to watch them so that they would stay safe.
@sofssu (14742)
I have seen this so often.. young children, too young to be left alone in huge places like that wandering off on their own. I have heard announcement about crying children being found in parking lots or in the supermarkets itself. I cannot relate to these things. My husband and I would never let our kids wander off like that.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I never let mine wander off either. They would be in the cart, or they held my hand. There are just to many crazy people out there, that would want to do them harm. They did thank me for being there, but the fact remains, they didn't watch them like they should have been.
@sofssu (14742)
@rosekiss Yes, there are many weirdos there.. and parents ought to be more careful.. I used to put them in my cart too.. or hold their hands.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@sofssu I don't understand why they didn't do that in the first place. It would have been much better than lettiing them wander off.
i can't have kids,but let me tell you if i could,with all the discomfort that comes with pregnancy and the kid using my bladder for a punching bag for 9 months,i'd wanna know where that lil fart is every waking moment lol
What you said really made me laugh.
@jstory07 I always knew where my kids were.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
Yep, you got that right. I have two kids, and I always kept them with me and never let them wander off, and maybe throwing things, breaking things, or maybe even getting hurt.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Yes, this seems to be a regular thing these days. It's such a pleasure on those occasions when you see parents engaging with their kids while shopping.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I just wish that they had put them in a care from the beginning, then there wouldn't have been any concerns on my part, as they didn't seem concerned whatsoever. They knew their kids wandered off, and they just let them go.
Yes it is. Always good to see well behaved children.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Susan2015 Most of the time when I go to Walmart, the kids are in the cart, and I am glad they are too.
I have absolutely no idea why parents act like that. There are SO many things that could happen or go wrong in just a minute or two, especially with young children. They could get hurt, get abducted, steal something, hurt someone else, etc. and the parents would not even know until it was too late.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
That is my thought exactly. They just seemed to be oblivious to their kids wandering away from them, and they just let them go. I happened by when this was going on, anc I decided that I was going to stick around to make sure that nothing would go wrong, until the parents got done with what they were doing at the time.
@rosekiss I have actually done that as well when I notice young children wandering around without an adult. I have even asked the children where their parents are if I don't see anyone around that looks like they might be the parent. I suppose that I could get in trouble for that, but I will take that chance, especially since seeing a stranger talking to their young child, even in a harmless manner, might shock the parents into realizing the dangers of what they are doing.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@purplealabaster I was just afraid that they would be taken, fall or maybe take something, so I decided that if they weren't going to watch them, that I would. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
You are right - the kids could even have run out of the store, and anything could have happened to them.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
That was really a big concern of mine, and that is why I figured I better make sure nothing happened to them. I didn't say anything to the parents, but maybe I should have, as they just didn't seem to care at the time.
@Rosekitty (19500)
• San Marcos, Texas
whenever my children went shopping with me they had to stay by side or i told them they would do the shopping by themselves and they could figure out what to buy for food..i guess my toughness made them stay put..now if they are teens or such i have them go off and get things so we don't have to go up and down every aisle..children like any place should not be disruptive in stores..
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I agee. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't so small. That is what really made it bad. They were just to little to be left to wander by themselves. My kids never did that either, as I kept them by me at all times, except when they got older of course.
@Rosekitty Yes my mom made sure we were always right with her when we were young.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Susan2015 I did the same thing when my kids were young too. I was so comcerned that something would happen to them, that they would stay in the cart,which is where those kids should have been.
@pumpkinjam (5683)
I often wonder the same thing. Then there seems to be so many other parents defending them, saying that 'all kids do that' or 'how difficult it must be' and 'people should just accept kids being kids'. Well, I don't agree with those statements. My kids have never, ever caused any trouble going round supermarkets. One ran from me ONCE. I explained why he shouldn't do it. It didn't happen again. The other ran around in a pub ONCE. I stopped him and, again, I explained why he shouldn't do it. It didn't happen again. People shouldn't have to put up with kids being annoying because parents can't be bothered to watch them. If you raise your children well, and lead by example, then there is (with very few exceptions) no reason for them no to behave, and for you not to watch them. It's parents who allow their kids to run riot at age 2 or 3 who then wonder why they have wayward teens a few years later.
@Marcyaz (36126)
How very true when you allow your children to run and scream and disturb people then when they are older and get into trouble you wonder why.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Marcyaz I was so concerned that someone could come along and grab them. I just don't trust people, as there are crazy people out there. I am glad I was there to look out for them while the parents were busy shopping.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I can certainly agree with you there. It is almost like the parents didn't care if anything happened to them, and that is sad. Now they probably cared, but they sure didn't show it, as the mom saw them wander off, and never went after them.
@seren3 (393)
I find it very alarming to observe parents like that. I saw a mom with her son on a leash and I thought "good for her". She could look at the shelves and the boy could move around but not too far. At least he won't get stolen! (Said seriously).
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I agree with you. if the parenst didn't want to put them in their cart, then that is what they should have done, that way, they couldn't have wandered away from them.
@Fleura (5736)
Ha ha I tried that once with Little One, she screamed the place down and ripped the harness off!
right there are women who will steal loosekids in a big store.
@kevin1877uk (36108)
i'm not sure, maybe don't to lack of respect that children have of their parents these days. I remember when I was young you would do a thing, not says my parents were horrible you just knew your place in the world and had respect.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
The children were little, so they should have been watche better.If comething would have happened, that would have been horrible, but thank goodness nothing did.
@kevin1877uk (36108)
@rosekiss Glad nothing happened.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@kevin1877uk i am too. yhings could have gone terribly wrong, and then what they have done? I am sure they would have been very distraught, as well they should be.
@cgalavia (1419)
I usually bought my eldest when we are going to have some groceries,We are always holding together as we go to another part of the grocery store.There are times he doesn't want me to hold him especially when he sight something that caught his attention,He holds off my hand and go to that thing but my eyes is on him and after he runs to me and hold again my hand. Children must have to tell what are the Do's and Donts especially when in public place for them to be aware of what possible things may happen.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I don't think they had told their chilren anything about what the can and can't do when they are out, or if they had, the kids would have known to stay by their side at all times. That is where the negligence comes in.
@cgalavia (1419)
@rosekiss Yeah,right negligence may lead to harm to the child.And also cooperation between the parents and the child must be observed,the parents must be aware of his child when in public and the child should follow and listen to her parent.If all like this nothing wrong will happen
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@cgalavia it is hard to say if they even told their kids about the dangers of wandering off. If they had, the kids would know that they need to stay by the their parents side at all times.
Well, my goodness. They were little enough to ride in the cart, yet they were wandering around on their own? I certainly agree with your concerns! I was never one to let my kiddos out of my sight when they were small. It only takes one second for something unfortunate to happen.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
That is what I am saying. I decided that staying there would be the best thing, as they didn't seem comcerned at all. It wasn't until they were done picking up what they needed that they put the daughter in the cart. I am not sure about their son,,as I continued on to get my groceries. I did see them later and the daughter was in the cart, but the boy wasn't.
@rosekiss I think I would have done the same. I'd be afraid something would happen to them. My kids accuse me of trying to be everyone's mother, lol. I guess they're right.
@simone10 (22269)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I have seen this before and felt the same way. Someone could abduct their children or they could get hurt. When my kids were young, I always made sure they were right by my side.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I was the same way. I was so worried about someone taking my kids or them getting hurt, that I jkept them beside me at all times. Thsoe parents just don't seem to care, and it is a shame too.
@simone10 (22269)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@rosekiss I was also very worried about someone taking my kids. They would get upset with me but I didn't care, as long as they were safe.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@simone10 Mine didn't exactly like it either, but they understood what could happen. Now, they are both married with kids of their own. My daughter has two small boys that she watches out for, so they won't get hurt or anything else happening to them.
• Portland, Connecticut
Considering the terrible things that can happen in asecond it is very negligent of them to let their kids waunder off alone. I hope they don't live to regret it.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I think about that too. What was so upsetting is that they knew they were wandering, but they just continued shopping and let them wander.I just hope that itnever heppens again, as someone else might report them.
@Shellyann36 (8454)
I have seen this happen and it makes me sick. With so many kids being kidnapped and harmed you would think parents would want to keep them close and protected. I went with my sister's future sister-in-law to a Party City once to get decorations for the bridal shower. She had 3 boys running amuck in the store getting things off of shelves and throwing them, running and knocking things off of the shelves. I was so embarrassed to be with them.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
That would be a totla embarrassment for sure. Leaving the kids run around in the store and letting them do things they shouuldn't, really shows a lack of responsibility on her part. They could have got hurt or worse.
@birjudanak (7166)
while parents take children for shopping and they are small then all responsibility of parents to watch them and keep in control because they have no sense what is good and wrong for them and they can take anything and may be damaged by them ,but they are always busy in shopping and don't care where are children.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
Those parents were not paying attention to them at all, only to what they were buying. Someone could have taken them, and I doubt they would have noticed a thing. That is why I watched out for them, so that nothing would happen to them.
@rosekiss yes you are right they have to keep watch on them because someone give chocolate and take them then what to do,may be kidnap but they feel that our child is safe and nothing happen with them and they keep shopping but its very irresponsible.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@birjudanak They were very irresponisble, as someone could have taken them, if I hadn't been there. I would do it again in hearbeat.
@Marcyaz (36126)
I see that a lot in different stores where the parent or parents are so involved in their looking at things that the kids going running and yelling disturbing people. The parents seem to be immune to what is happening but I can tell you I have said to the child who is running close to me to keep quiet and stop running around like you are a minx. I have also been know to say to a parent why don't you watch your kids.
A simple remedy to the matter, would be simply to put them in the shopping cart. That way they know where the child is, and can concentrate on whatever they are looking at.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@TexanTornado they finally did that after they got what they wanted. I feellike you, that if they would have them in the cart, then they wouldn't have been able to wander off.
@rosekiss It should have been done to start with, then they would of had the leisure to look and study whatever they were, with knowing their kids were safe and with them.
Things like that annoy me so much! Then if their children were taken all H*ll would break loose but it would have been the parents fault! Ugh. My children when they were young spent time in the store in the cart only. Now that they are a little too big for the cart they stand next to it and hold onto it the entire time-whether they like it or not!
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
You are doing the right thing. Kids just don't understand the danger they are in when they wonder off, so wanting to keep them by you, keeps them safe. Sure they might not like it, but in time they will be old enough to understand why you do it, and they will thank you for keeping them safe.
@rosekiss Thank you, I try to do the right thing with my babies. I don't want anything to happen to them.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@LovingMyBabies Oh, I hear yer there, as I was very protective of mine as well. We can never be to careful that is for sure. We just have to be aware of our surroundings at all time, as there are crazy people out there that will seek to do us and our family harm. i refuse to let others harm me or my family, that is for sure.
@shellyjaneo (1095)
It's crazy it's like the parents have no sense of danger at all. I was at a birthday party for a 2 year old on the weekend in a big public playcenter and I was following my 18 month around the whole time while all the other little ones were left to run round completely out of sight of their parents I felt like I was being overprotective but who knows who could have picked him up and walked out if I wasn't watching x
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
You are so right and did the right thing. I would have felt the same way too. Kids shouldn't be allowed to run around without any supervision. There are creeps out there that will take a child if they can.
@rosekiss That's what I was thinking and it was so busy I thought it wasn't worth the risk and if I looked over protective then so be it at least I knew my baby was safe x
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
@shellyjaneo I could never leave kids run around unsupervised, that is for sure. I don't understand why some do it either. I guess they just don't care what happens to them, or if they do, they just don't want to take the time to keep them safe. It all stinks for sure. I was probably overpretective of my kids, as i wouldn't let anyting happen to them.