Do you pretend to like someone when you actually don't?

Come on, tell the truth, I bet some of you do that. There are a few people I pretend to like just to keep the peace. Neighbors are funny people - no matter where you live - you might have one or two that are a little off the wall. It is much safer to be on their good list so you (me) pretend to like them. You know, you laugh at their stupid jokes or you smile and nod while they tell their boring stories...all the time wishing you were inside on your computer writing nasty things about them! I should be too old to play these games, but I'd rather play nice than get shot at!
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
Absolutely and it is as you say to keep the peace. My granddaughter's mother can be very unpredictable but I've learned that the best way to handle her is to pretend I like her. I used to feel the same way about work colleagues but I just didn't want any aggro.
Yes, sometimes pretending is the only way to keep the peace.
@gregario888 (1282)
• Aurangabad, India
Sometimes, one has to keep up with the,'joneses ', just for keeps sake.
Keeping up with them is one thing, liking them is another LOL!
• Aurangabad, India
@AbbyGreenhill It is sometimes, a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't sort of thing!
@gregario888 You are right about that for sure!
@vandana7 (68491)
For starters, I love my neighbor's kids. But I have an evil streak in me. So I keep my distance. You see, her daughter is so awesome, I don't feel like returning her. I don't want attachment to cross that limit where I might cross the limit. When that kid comes to me, she refuses to go to her parents. That does loads and loads of good to my ego. It proves she likes me, right? So why should I return her? That is the way it goes. So in my case, I avoid people at times not because I don't like them, but because I am not sure I am a nice person and will remain nice person in foreseeable future under the circumstances. Having said that, I did notice my tendency to pretend when "I am scared of the person".
At least you are honest. But I would hope you wouldn't kidnap your neighbor's kid!
@vandana7 (68491)
@AbbyGreenhill ..where would I go? This is our home, permanent residence.
@bluesa (15196)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Hahaha. I admit it, I am like that with my neighbours, I smile and wave, and hope they will not try to talk to me, we have nothing in common, you see, but I agree peace must be kept, though if they needed help with something, I would try help.
A smile and wave is good enough sometimes!
@gudheart (12741)
I do to a degree, I am nice to the person which is polite.
It always depends on the situation.
@thea09 (18327)
• Greece
Do you know I actually don't, life is too short to mix with people that bore us. I just politely exit. i was having coffee out with my best friend yesterday and one of the local bores just marched up and started talking over us and I just answered politely and give her a withering look to dismiss her. My friend was much relieved as she finds it hard to be so dismissive even though she wants to be.