The Queen of Buttah

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
Back when I still had an expensive cable TV package that included the Food Network, one of my favorite TV cooks was Paula Deen. After her fall from grace due to having used the N-word with one of her employees, she disappeared from the scene. I'd heard what a hard road she'd taken to get to where she was, and as always, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. We all make mistakes and say things we shouldn't, and I am one of those people who feels that too much was made of her error, for which she later apologized. Not long ago, I picked up a copy of her autobiography on the "free pile" at the library, entitled "It Ain't All About the Cookin'." I'm halfway through it and am enjoying how, with the help of a cowriter, it was written in her own voice, complete with her southern inflections. The chapters are divided with some of her recipes, which is also fun. While I can no longer watch her on TV, it's fun to "revisit" her through this book. If she is as resilient as this book portrays her to be, I have no doubt she's worked through her past issues and has been able to put them behind her. While I enjoyed her shows in the beginning, I liked them less and less as she became more glamorized. And when she was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, she streamlined her approach to cooking to reflect that fact. She remains one of my best memories from the days when I had the luxury of watching the Food Netowk.
Well I did like a lot of her foods for sure Rachel. What a bonus that she was in the free pile. I used to get those books too when I was living near NH. Yeah we all make mistakes, but that woman can sure cook!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I loved her down-home approach, too. Nothing fancy. Just lots and lots of good food that was easy to make.
• Preston, England
I tend to avoid cooking programmes. They seem to get ingredients I could never find and leave me feeling hungry.