The Rest of the Story

@Ceerios (4769)
Goodfellow, Texas
Click on the picture if you want to see it enlarged on a screen of its own... Now, since I found out that "My Lot" can handle great big pano photographs, maybe groaning and moaning as it does so, I decided to follow up on my last post here with yet another view of "our lot." This view is of the back yard. Not a bad place to hang out, that back yard. My bride has it full of flowers and all kinds of critters that come around whenever they get thirsty or hungry. There's my old red pick-em-up truck sitting in the driveway, right where I put it. The carport, as you can see, is not used to park cars or pickups. We sit there and use it as though it thought of itself as some sort of patio. There's my barbecue-smoker ready for the next brisket cooking. You can see our Mexican outdoor fireplace (chimenea) behind the smoker. (Good for chilly evenings) Plenty of flowerpots with their bloomers showing. There is one of the three orange trees, some sprouting fig limbs that the gardener gal stuck into pots, a bird bath for fly-ins, and a hummingbird feeder deal over toward the fence. The place is surrounded by trees, many of them being the kind of tree known as "golden raintree" and seeded mostly along the fence lines by birds. This photo was stitched together from seven smaller images made with one of the original digital cameras, a really low-res Sony Mavica. Interesting thing about the Mavica is that after it clicks and collects the image on its digital gadgetry, it moves the image over onto a regular 3.5-inch floppy disk that can be directly input into your regular computer. Each floppy will hold about 10 photos. If you need more, you simply stick another floppy disk into the slot. I kind of like this old rig because of that, and because the camera lens can be adjusted from wide angle on through super-handy telephoto. A buddy gave this camera to me instead of, as he said it, "tossing it into the junk bin." I almost fell over when I found the original purchase receipt - almost $2,000. Hard to believe, but when you are first on the store shelf, I guess you can charge whatever someone might be willing to pay. Onwards and upwards, Friends... Image source - Gus Kilthau
I love your place, and I thought that was a purpose built outdoor patio.
@Ceerios (4769)
• Goodfellow, Texas
Hello again Ms Janet ( @jaboUK ) - That bride I brought home back a few years ago is the expert on gardening around here. I really enjoy sitting out back and taking in her obvious handiwork and hard effort with the plants and the critters. Also, that outdoor patio is a fun place for people and it would be a total waste to stick a vehicle under that roof. How do you like that nice, big barbecue smoker? Put a 12-pound brisket of beef in there for about 12 hours in the pecan wood smoke at 220 degrees-F., and you can cut off the tender slices using your thumb as the knife. Tomorrow, however, it is going to be a rack of pork ribs - all nice and crusty-spicy, and with some potato salad and the like to go with the ribs. I may be old, Friend Jabo, but I know how to eat barbecued briskets and wonderful smoked ribs. Oh yes !
@Ceerios You've got me slavering at the mouth regarding the barbecue - I'm comin' on over!
@Ceerios (4769)
• Goodfellow, Texas
Ms Janet ( @jaboUK ) - I totally understand. And to think that I never told you hungries about the 9 pies I made in the vertical smoker one time - all at the same time. The two of us here could not deal with 9 pies, so we gave 8 of them away. Problem - There remains a great big carton with 91 empty pie pans. We'll figure that out some day.
@Gina145 (4025)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I never had that particular camera, but my first digital camera, an Olympus C-2100 UZ, cost a fortune too. I've still got it, but I don't use it any more because it's not compatible with my computer
@Ceerios (4769)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Gina145 - Some digitals make it easy to get the photo memory card out. I have a USB plug-in gadget here call a "Dazzle." It accepts (has slots for) different size cards (Sims, etc.) If you can find one of those Dazzle things, you may be back in business with your Olympus. Your camera manual should tell you what kind of card is inside the camera. Good luck
@Gina145 (4025)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Ceerios I know what card is in my Olympus, but it was a card that only Olympus ever used, and even they only used it for a short time. I've tried to find a card reader for that card, but they don't seem to be available in South Africa. It's not a big deal though as I've got newer cameras which do a great job. It just makes me sad to see that camera sitting around and not being used.
This is great thanks for sharing it with us Gus. The color is fabulous and it looks so nice and homey. I would love it there! Wow at the pricetag of that camera!
@Ceerios (4769)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@TiarasOceanView - Hello again. Yes. It is a pretty nice back yard. Maybe the best part of the whole place, come to think of it. The day on which the photos were made was kinda cloudy, but I used my photo editor to both crop the edges of the composite and to pep up the color contrast. You might not believe that the Sony camera has only a 0.7 MB rating. Today's cameras are typically 10.0 MB or better. To show you how much prices change, I found 2 of these Sony Mavicas on eBay going for $25 the pair of them... I tried to buy them, but was too late. What is nice is that I have the camera in a big aluminum carry case, a battery charger, 3 batteries, two filters, an AC adapter for use without the batteries, a great pro tripod and a big smile from my buddy who gave the thing to me. Can't beat that price !
@Ceerios That is a blessing that camera! Wow on eBay that was cheap for those, too bad you didnt catch them. You should be proud of your garden it is truly beautiful Gus.
@pgntwo (20725)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
A super photo, you can hardly see the joins! A bijou residence if ever there was one, very snazzy!
@Ceerios (4769)
• Goodfellow, Texas
Hola @pgnTwo - It is nice place albeit is disintegrating inside. I guess that is what makes the outside so much the better.
@Rollo1 (16713)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think that's a very good use of a carport. Everyone needs a nice outdoor space.
@Ceerios (4769)
• Goodfellow, Texas
Howdy Ms AnjaP ( @Rollo1 ) - The truck has never said a single word in complaint. That carport makes for a pretty good patio.