They call it Earworm, We call it LSS

@owstalaga (4576)
And I can't get it out of my head... It's annoying when I get a song I don't really like stuck in my head. My bro has been playing several songs on repeat for several days now. Yes lemme whine for a bit. Just so you know, LSS = Last Song Syndrome, is a term I just discovered that's very common here but not anywhere else. In the UK apparently it is called an earworm. Or if you want, you can use the slang term "sticky song". Apparently if you hear a song long enough and over and over it will keep playing in your head on repeat too. I can't get David Archuleta's songs out of my head. I haven't had an LSS for quite a while, usually I get what I call "Song Pop Ups of the Day" in my head instead of songs on repeat. Got any song/situation that came to mind while reading this? Does it trouble you or do you often get it?
@besweet (7223)
• Greece
I haven't heard something so good to play it on repeat recently. I find it annoying too when it happens though. And I didn't know there is a name for it.
@owstalaga (4576)
Now you know what it's called. Good thing my brother isn't playing the same songs over and over anymore.
@besweet (7223)
• Greece
@owstalaga My brother used to do that too. He had a phase in his student life when he was listening to a band called "System of a Down". I had learned so many of their songs and I didn't even like them.
@owstalaga (4576)
@besweet So true, we end up having earworms of songs we don't even like.
@topffer (36629)
• Singapore, Singapore
It happens to me times to times. When the case is severe (by severe, I mean when the song is really stupid), I cure it by listening to a piece of classical music, to replace the melody I have in my head with another one.
@owstalaga (4576)
I do that too so it'd stop playing in my head. Somehow the really stubborn ones come back even after playing other songs.
@topffer (36629)
• Singapore, Singapore
@owstalaga Time to consult a doctor.
@owstalaga (4576)
@topffer Oh the doctor probably wouldn't be able to pull out the worm even if he tried. Maybe if they flush it out it'll go without a fight or something.
@cahaya1983 (10036)
Can't think of any particular one at the moment but I find it interesting that even the songs they play in the shopping malls can stick in my head quite long.
@owstalaga (4576)
Haha, yeah there are times when it happens to me too when I go malling.
@salonga (27957)
LSS? I heard someone singing..."happy, it's so nice to be happy, lalala..." and it becomes a sticky song in my ear that I hear myself singing the same song too every now and them.
@owstalaga (4576)
That's a nice song to have as an LSS. Better than anything else because it's upbeat and positive.
@wiLLmaH (8246)
• Singapore, Singapore
My current LSS is I just can't stop loving you by MJ. It doesn't troubles me, but the people around me because I keep on singing it. haha
@owstalaga (4576)
That's true, it's the people around us that gets bothered when we play/sing music over and over again.
How funny! I like the "sticky song" one. That is cute.
@owstalaga (4576)
@celticeagle Hehe, do you experience this too?
My son just commented to me today that I always sing the same stupid song lol. I am pretty tired right now so off the top of my head I cannot think what it was that I was singing. When I think of it I will have to come back to this post and tell you. Anyway this particular song I've had stuck in my head since I was a teenager. I don't know why but it always pops in my head. Keep in mind that I am 32 so this has been stuck in my head for a very long time!
@owstalaga (4576)
wow that is indeed a long time for a song to be stuck in your head. Maybe it's a nursery song? I dunno, I think it can be cool at times to have that. haha.
@FourWalls (16233)
If I get a song stuck in my head I play it on my iPod. I have about 8,300 songs on my iPod so it's hard for a song that I don't have to get stuck. I rarely get "last song syndrome," and if I do, I just play the song again.
@owstalaga (4576)
That's a lot of songs you got there. I always plan on buying an iPod but never get to buy any when I have the money. Something else always gets my money. Good thing you have an iPod handy. I use my computer to listen to songs when I don't have it on my phone.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
The song stuck in my head is almost always something I haven't heard recently, so I get Random Song Syndrome.
@owstalaga (4576)
Oh, that's unique! I think I only experienced that once or twice and tried to find the song online based on the lyrics. Haha, good thing there's the online world!
• Austin, Texas
I don't often get stuck on a song but when I do I just roll with it! Can't fight the music!
@owstalaga (4576)
Indeed, I cannot stop it at all it just goes on and on in my head until I try to get rid of it.