Do You Get A Flu Shot?

@simone10 (21647)
Louisville, Kentucky
Ever since I started working in the healthcare industry many, many years ago, I have always had a flu shot. It wasn't required but it was always offered to us free of charge and was a preventative as we worked with patients and the public. I haven't worked since 2009 but I still try and get a flu shot every year. While we were out Saturday, we went to Walmart and they were offering the shot and also several other ones as well. I got a flu shot and pneumonia shot. I really want the shingles vaccine as I have had it twice but I have to wait until I am 60 years old so that my insurance will cover it. I know some people don't get the flu shot because it makes them sick. I guess I have been lucky to have never had that problem. Do you get a flu shot every year?
@Raelove (17579)
• Saco, Maine
I'm 65 and have never gotten a flu shot. I do get bad colds every once in awhile. But I don't socialize much or work out of the house anymore, so I am not exposed to lots of people. When I go shopping, I always wipe the handles of my cart with a sani-wipe that most stores provide now. And I take lots of supplements. So I'll just continue to wing it. If I ever did get the flu really bad, I might consider it. But from what I've read, most flu shots guard against only certain types of flu, not all of them. So it would be just my luck to get one it didn't guard against.
@Raelove Exactly like you, I never got a flu shot and I was never sick. My Mom is 94 and she also never got one.
@LadyDuck @Raelove I know it is not claimed but it seems to me that having a different flu shot each year helps build your overall immunity. I know some nurses that agree with me. I have had the flu a number of times in my younger days. It was awful. I do not want that experience again. I have missed the shot one year, and got the flu but it was not at all as bad as the other years I had it.
@GardenGerty My brother is a Doctor, he suggested not to have the shot.
No, I do not want a flu shot, they do not protect you against every kind of cold and flu, particularly because they cannot know in advance which kind of virus is going to affect our area the upcoming winter. I never got one, the same my Mom who is 94, we never got a cold or a flu form at least 40 years.
@Marcyaz (35606)
Well that is good your mom doesn't get the cold or a flu but what happens if she does come down with the flu at her age it could be diasterous.
@Marcyaz She can get sick simply by making the shot. As a matter of fact they put inside your body living germs. According to my brother (who is a doctor) and many of his colleagues this can be more dangerous than a cold or a flu. By the way they do not know if it will work... as they do not will the next flu will look alike.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@LadyDuck It is a chance we take if it will work on whatever flu is out there this year, I do not want to take a chance I will end up with the flu so I will take my chances by getting the flu shot again this year as me with my breathing problems I would end up in the hospital again.
My husband always gets one, but I never bother. I don't get any more flu or colds than he does, so I don't know how effective it is.
@Marcyaz (35606)
Some people don't get them but I am glad your husband gets his.
@Marcyaz My husband is 85 and a bit frail, so his doctor thinks he should have them. He also gets one against pneumonia.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@jaboUK Good to hear that as anyone up in years needs them for a prevenative measure.
Nope, never had one even though I'm told I should get one. I usually get one bad head cold a year and rarely get the flu.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
You are very lucky. I get head colds every year also but I never get the flu when I have had the shot.
@sofssu (14447)
I have never taken one.. I don't like falling sick after one.. Its pretty expensive too.
@Marcyaz (35606)
I have never been sick after having a flu shot and they are not that expensive compared to a doctors visit.
@sofssu (14447)
@Marcyaz Not here.. besides I don't really go to a doctor.. my son takes care of that.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@sofssu You don't ever go to see a doctor is that what you are saying? Is your son a doctor?
@simone10 My hubby and I have been lucky and for the past five or so years we have not had any flu. The flue shots here in Latvia are expensive number one and number two a number of people got double sick last year from just taking the shots.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Each person is different on how they respond to the shots. Not everyone gets sick or feels bad.
I don't have those shots yet . They are too expensive . I just keep myself healthy so i don't get sick . Luckily for how many years now i haven't gotten sick . Maybe my prayers are strong .
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
You are very lucky if you have never had the flu before.
@simone10 Oh yes, i did have flu before . But because i was having them sometimes , i really told myself that i will make my immune system stronger by taking some vitamin supplements everyday and eating healthily in my own ways .
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@SIMPLYD I'm glad that is working for you. I wish it had worked for me but until I started taking the shot, I got the flu every year.
@Marcyaz (35606)
Yes, I do get a flu shot every year and unfortunately last year the shot didn't work for me like for so many others. Thanks for reminding me as I need to call my doctors office today and see if they have the flu shot in yet. The last time I called they hadn't receive it yet although a lot of the pharmacies did receive it really early, you would think it would be delievered to a doctors office first.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I would think so too. I don't usually get one at a pharmacy but thought, why not?
@Marcyaz (35606)
@simone10 My insurance wouldn't cover me if I went to a pharmacy, just my doctor's office. I went one year to a pharmacy and my insurance wouldn't pay for it so I learned a lesson.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Marcyaz Fortunately my insurance paid for it and the pneumonia shot as well.
I have been getting them every year since I turned 60. Last year I didn't and come to find out the shot was only about 23% affective due to the strain that mutated. This year they say that the shot should be more effective so I probably will get mine. I am not into getting the bug AT ALL.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Neither am I! The last time I got the flu, it took me over a month to get over it and I had to have 2 rounds of antibiotics.
@simone10 Oh, ya. When I get I GET IT. I know what you mean.
I started getting the flu shot when I started working in schools and nursing homes. I also learned at that time that if I had even mild symptoms of something I should stay home. I had a co worker that got very sick when exposed to anything. Her doctor told her to get the flu shot and her bronchitis would not occur. That is what happened for her. She saw an improvement in her over all health. I get the flu shot. I pay for it right now because I am not insured.
@Marcyaz (35606)
Even if you have to pay for the flu shot it is well worth the money to not get sick and have to go to the doctor which would then cost a lot more than the $20 or $25 you pay for a flu shot.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@GardenGerty It is well worth the price. If anyone has ever gotten a very nasty case of the flu, they would be running to get the flu shot.
@Blondie2222 (22566)
I have to get the flu shot every year because I work in a hospital and they require all employees to get it. Another reason is because of my heart condition so I get the flu shot and a few years ago i got the pneumonia shot also. That one you get every 10 years so I'm good on that atleast.
@Marcyaz (35606)
I have had both the flu shot and the pneumonia shot and am probably due for another pneumonia shot soon.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Blondie2222 I also had to take the shot when I worked at a hospital. Anytime you have a position where you deal with the public, it's always a good idea.
I plan to get mine before heading out to Italy next month
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is a very wise choice. You sure don't want to get sick while on vacation.
@gudheart (12741)
I have not had one nor has any of my family. I don't get the flu often so don't want to risk the side effects.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
You probably have a strong immune system.
I don't get a flu shot because of the ingredients and it isn't natural, which is why it makes some people sick.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I've never been sick after taking the flu shot. It does work for me.
We don't get flu shots - haven't in years! Sure we do get sick over winter - but it's never really that bad - we get over it. And we don't really take cold medicines either. I do have friends who do get flu shots, but many do tell us they get sick anyway! I don't really know how truly effective it is, but this year I think we still won't get that flu shot.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
The flu shot has always been effective for me. I worked in a huge office with over a thousand employees and many of them had the flu. I never once got sick.
@simone10 I wonder too if you are just naturally healthy and your body can fight back the sickie germs more than others. If it's working for you, then certainly keep it up!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@much2say I used to be naturally healthy until I got RA. But then again, that is probably why I got RA because RA is when you have an overactive immune system that destroys your joints.
• Grand Haven, Michigan
I'm too poor to afford a flu shot. What I do is have someone with the flu bite me on the arm lol
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Lol! You are too funny! I think I would rather have the sting of a shot over a bite
• Grand Haven, Michigan
@simone10 But the bites are free if you go behind a dumpster at a 7-11 lol
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@besweet (7227)
• Greece
I had the flu shot for two consecutive years, it didn't make me sick but I didn't see a huge difference on how often I was getting sick. I haven't done it since then, it's probably good as a precaution but I don't get sick that often any more. I would do it if it was offered for free though. My only problem is that I don't like needles.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
If you are normally healthy, you probably wouldn't see a big different.
@besweet (7227)
• Greece
@simone10 I am healthy now but I used to get sick once per month during the winter. I don't think I need it any more but I thought it would make a difference back then.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@besweet I think it does make a difference for some people but not everyone.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
I am a healthy person, and have been all my life, so no, I don't get a flu shot. I had one many years ago, when I was teenager, but nothing since. I am glad that I am healthy too.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I'm also glad that you are healthy. I have had the flu so many times in my life and each time it was worse than before.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
@simone10 I am so sorry to hear that. I guess I am fortunate to be healthy enough where I don't get sick all the time. I am so thankful for that too. My kids are healthy too, and grandkids, but my daughter does get migraines everyday, and I guess they hurt something awfu. I do feel for here on that though.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@rosekiss I think it has to do with my immune system.
@wiLLmaH (8236)
• Singapore, Singapore
My husband want me to get one. I refused! I am very afraid of needles. :)
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Needles don't really bother me at all but I can understand your fear.
@wiLLmaH (8236)
• Singapore, Singapore
@simone10 i am 32 and I am crying in thought of needles.. haha
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@wiLLmaH There are a lot of people who fear needles so you are not alone.
@fawkes62 (1291)
With three kids in school and a husband that works retail, I always get the flu shot. I have gotten it every year since I was pregnant with my oldest and will continue to get it every year.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think with 3 kids in school, that is a great reason to get the flu shot. Kids always seem to come home with something.
@fawkes62 (1291)
@simone10 It never fails, once school starts someone has a cold within a week or two. Sometimes even just a few days befoe the cold hits.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@fawkes62 I know what you mean. I was really fortunate that my kids only brought home virus's but my grandkids are always sick with something and it affects the whole family.