Dog story in the news....

Boise, Idaho
About a service dog and his owner. A retired vet who had a brain injury and used a service dog was getting ready to board American Airlines for a flight to an award ceremony for him and his dog for "Service Dog of the Year". They are stopped from boarding and asked a bunch of questions as if they didn't believe the dog, Axle, was a service dog. Now the vet had called ahead of time and the airline should have been expecting him and his dog. He did get an apology from the airlines but he feels that is not enough. There needs to be a protocol developed for such situations. A registration and registration so this sort of thing does not happen again. Check out the story below.
American Airlines eventually allowed Jason Haag and service dog Axel to fly home after a gate agent allegedly accused the animal of being a fake service dog.
@yukimori (9072)
You know, I really have to shake my head at how many people simply don't understand what they're legally allowed to ask. If the gate agent really did demand to know what the veteran's disability is, that individual is completely in the wrong. And then the 'apology' American Airlines issued... they're sorry for the 'confusion with the travel plans,' not the way their employee violated federal law by interrogating a passenger about his service dog. Sure makes you want to fly, doesn't it?
I haven't flown in many years and I am glad I don't.
• Avenel, New Jersey
thats terrible! if you have the right paperwork, there should be no questions.
That is the whole thing. He called ahead. At this time there is no registration or such for this and there needs to be.
I have read the story and I agree with this Veteran, the apology is not enough. Those things should not happen.
I hope they develop something that works for everyone and the airlines will treat animals better in the future.
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
Its a bit much, when he's done all the paper work and followed procedure ... to get stopped.... and questioned... it's bad customer services....
There needs to be a pronounced protocol set up for this situation. He called ahead and they knew he was coming with the dog.
That's awful. The airline acted despicably and need a lesson in customer relations.
Yes, they sure do. It's ridiculous. And a mere apology doesn't cut it.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I agree that an apology is not enough. It doesn't stop it from happening to someone else.
Yep. A protocol needs to developed that makes sense for the future.
@bunnybon7 (37425)
• Holiday, Florida
i said the same when Johny Depp had all that trouble over his dogs
I hadn't heard of that.
@Butchcass4 (6027)
Where's the respect for the disabled We should go out of our way for people who obviously have a difficult time as it is. They should be ashamed treating them that way.
I hope they get a public reprimand. Dog and man should neither have been treated that way. He called ahead, made them aware. Ugh!
This is appalling treatment that vet got.
Vet and his dog. The dog was up for an award.
@sugartoes (42657)
• Greencastle, Indiana
see I heard the story, & what I don't understand is he HAD all but 1 I D for the dog & what they NEEDED to do was to call his C O or the post he was from, I'm sure he had all the records he needed for him & the dog to Board a plain to be where he was right? then what the FLIP was the problem on why he couldn't boad the plain to get BACK, that makes no sense to me I bet they lost a lot of $ off that one if not they should have that's just NOT RIIGHT ! !
He had done all the needed stuff before hand. The airline wasn't doing its job.
@sugartoes (42657)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@celticeagle that just puts a black eye on the company & the airport.