Sniff! I'll Never Have A Stair Lift.

our house
Germany
It's possible that my husband and I did something stupid yesterday. The future will show. For the immediate present everything is still fine. We live in a rented flat (BE) /apartment (AE) of a two-storey (BE) /three-storey (AE) town house. We had the best landlord imaginable. He doesn't live in our town. He never disturbed us in any way. He wasn't interested in money. The rent we paid was so low that everyone who heard about it started laughing because they thought it was a joke. When we moved into the middle flat, an ancient couple was living below us and an ancient lady above us. When the ancient couple had died, a young one with a two-year-old son moved in. When the ancient lady had died, my mother moved in. She used to live in another part of Germany. When she had died, we rented the upper flat, too, because it has a balcony and let one room, the kitchen and the bathroom to foreign language assistants. Fast forward 26 years. Our landlord had to sell the house. He's part of a community of heirs and his partners wanted to get rid of it and see some money. To cut a long story short: the eldest son of the family below us (three more children followed), now 28 years old, married with a baby daughter took a loan and bought the house. Now we come to the point - at last. He wants to live in our flat and wants us to move to the upper one. It's not as nice as our present one but we've decided to agree because it wins over moving to a different part of the town into a house whose other tenants we don't know. The street is quiet. I can reach everything I'm interested in on foot. But there are two more flights of stairs for us now and we're already old. For how long will we manage? I've dreamt of having a stair lift one day since I saw the film 'Witness for the Prosecution' with Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich. Does anyone know it? Charles Laughton is an old, fat lawyer with heart problems who drives up and down his staircase in his house. Now that the population is becoming older and older I see ads for stair lifts everywhere. Last week we decided to make a real job of it/to fish or cut bait (I found these expressions in the dictionary for the German 'to make nails with heads'). We invited an expert from a stair lift company. He told us that it was possible to put one in our house. Yet, it would have to be an extra construction because old houses are unique and standard stair lifts can't be used. This would cost ~20.000 Euro (~14.700 GBP/~22.400). We had had no idea and had to swallow hard. We certainly won't buy such a thingy. We'll see for how long we can manage and if we can't any more, we'll have to move to an age-based apartment. What we did yesterday was that we signed a contract with our new landlord. We won't have to move before the beginning of March, though. Let's hope that our legs and hearts will take us up the stairs for some more years and that we don't have to regret our decision too soon.
@xFiacre (4266)
That's an outrageous price. My parents had one installed and my mother hates it but they don't want to leave their house. They moved on a trial basis to a complex for elderly people but it was too small and it wasn't home so they moved back after a year. She tolerates the stair lift but really does not like it. What if there is an electric cut while she is half way up the stairs?
The stair lift expert explained that the chair runs on a battery. An electric cut wouldn't disturb the going up and going down.
Yes, that's the house we live in. Igt was built in 1895. It's listed as an Art Nouveau building.
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
@MALUSE It is absolutely beautiful
I remember the movie 'Witness for the Prosecution', I have the DVD because this is a great movie. The house where you live is beautiful and I guess you made the right decision. Our home is on three levels, I thought to a stair lift to add in the future, I have not yet asked the price. I believe that it should be partially covered by the medical health insurance if we should have problems walking. I have to investigate.
In Germany you can get some money from the insurance and some other source. But it isn't much. The sum is still exorbitant.
@MALUSE It seems very expensive, too much for me.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That is an awful amount of money for a chair-lift! Surely the company was pulling your leg? Have you asked for a competitive quote from another company?
I don't think there would be much difference. The construction has to be made only for our house and up to the second floor is quite a long way.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@MALUSE You may be surprised! Instead of a char-lift, why not challenge them for a way to get up to the second floor without using the stairs? There may be room to install a vertical elevator in the stairwell.
@pgntwo Oh no, not at all. There are only 20cm between the railings. Maybe I can take a photo and upload it in a comment.
How awful to have to move out of the flat you've lived in for so many years. Can the new landlord legally make you take the higher flat?
No, not legally. But if we insisted on staying where we are, the atmosphere in the house would become hostile which isn't what we want. Besides, there's a lot of wood in the construction of the house and we hear noises from each other. When we're in the highest flat, nobody tramples above our heads which may be good considering that there's a small child now and more will probably follow. Another besides, look at the pic again, the upper flat has a balcony. I love it.
@MALUSE That's understandable about not wanting a bad atmosphere, and I hope that you will be happy in the new flat. As you say, it will probably be better not to have people tramping about above you. And the balcony has to be a big plus.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
Stair lifts are not very common here in my country, in fact I can't remember ever seeing one. I just looked it up online. I was so surprised to know that there is evidence that stair lifts date back to the time of King Henry VIII monarch!
Oh, thank you for this comment. I didn't know about stairlifts being so old. I'll look it up, too.
@Fleura (7113)
By the way it's still a three storey house no matter which version of English you speak, just that in the UK it has a ground floor, a first floor and a second floor while in the US it has first, second and third floors.
@valmnz (12596)
• New Zealand
That was an outrageous thing to do, expecting you to negotiate even more stairs. I don't think chair lifts are all that common here.
I am sorry that you have to move. At least you do not have far to move.
Let's hope that you are both healthy for a long time and can handle the stairs.
@Rollo1 (16651)
• Boston, Massachusetts
At least he sold to someone in the family and you aren't evicted. I have had two such incidents in the last few years. I am sure you have some time before you have to go looking for accommodations for mobility issues. That's a great movie, btw. Absolutely one of my favorite classic movies.
People really do not need this.They can fix on living on the first floor there. Why do people still go upstairs if they have so much problems.Never understood this. Stay at the first floor and let the young un to the rest.It is a waste of mone.
@garymarsh6 (13201)
That is such a shame after being so settled for such a long time. I guess your husband could always haul you up with a rope attached to a couple of pulleys!
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
Lets hope the knees, legs and heart hold for many many more years while you save for the lift. Its a beautiful place, if that is your home.