My laptop stopped detecting WIFI and Bluetooth.

By RK
@ragikutty (2462)
Kerala, India
Something went wrong for sure. Both bluetooth and wirless icons are gone. Not only that it now says "there is no wireless interface on the system". I tried installing driver without knowing the interface itself is gone. What to do now? I hate even thinking giving laptop to service as laptop is personal and it has mine as well as my family photos, videos etc. What to do? Mine is HP 14-r053tu Notebook PC, which was bought on March 2015.
@yukimori (8708)
Based on my previous experiences with HP laptops, I would probably skip troubleshooting entirely. I'd back up all of my files to either an external hard drive or a few discs, then arrange to have HP service it. The disappearing network adapters always signaled pending motherboard failure on the HP laptops we've owned. Reinstalling the drivers never worked; rolling the system back to a previous state would fix the problem temporarily, but it'd always show up again fairly quickly.
@ragikutty (2462)
• Kerala, India
Hmm. I did not have a spare usb drive or harddisk which i could back up the whole personal stuffs. That's why i couldn't think of rolling system back to previous date.
@thesids (22448)
• Bhubaneswar, India
First check the manual. Your lappy might have a key "Fn" or something similar and it is normally pressed along with another Function Key to turn on/off the Wi-fi and Blue Tooth (Look for a wi-fi symbol on the Function keypad segment - F1-F12. On mine which is Acer, I have it on F3 so it is Fn+F3 to turn on/off the Wi-fi and the bluetooth. If that fails, as you already have done other stuff like reloading driver, call HP. In India, they provide in-house service for free during the warranty period. You can also call HP India and look for tech support - specific to your Model.
My motherboard was shot and they promptly replaced it. I was mightily impressed. Next day found out this replacement doesn't support Touch. And now they'll try everything not to correct this. Keep suggesting the software solutions... when the hardware itself is missing! Still have the warranty, but I have given up.
@ragikutty (2462)
• Kerala, India
@hora_fugit @thesids I took it to the place where I bought it. A guy did something and said its not a software issue and we need to take it to HP service centre. So we did. That guy checked the laptop and said we'll have to leave it there for few days. I was not ready to leave my harddisk there, so we asked they remove the harddisk and give it. After few minutres the guy gave us the harddisk and while filling out few forms some other technician came and said they put some other hard disk and its working fine. So I will have to leave harddisk as they will have to install driver as there is no hardware problem. So I asked them return it after fitting my harddisk, I will do reinstalling OS myself. So he took it in, few minutes back returned my laptop with no issues of wireless. If I hadn't been keen on not leaving harddisk with them, i guess they would have kept the laptop there for few days and probably said they replaced the wireless interface. May be, cause I never trust these people.
I went through this last week and was mad as hell. I called the cable company and they told me to refresh after they did a lot of checking with me. I refreshed it and now it's working fine. a
@ragikutty (2462)
• Kerala, India
Lucky you! I tried everything I could myself. But it didn't work. I installed driver available on the HP site, but didn't work. The guy at service center said he installed same driver and it worked. Dunno why.
@Salamnda (479)
it seems that the drivers are gone or corrupt try restoring the system to a previews date , you can find it in all files accessories system tools system restore this will not effect your files it will only effect the software you can chose a date right before this issue started and restore your system to hope this will solve the issue :)
@ragikutty (2462)
• Kerala, India
Seems like that was the issue after all. Thank you.
@chiwasaki (4666)
You can check Device Manager if the BT device and network is still available. If so, you can uninstall and install this again. After this, restart your PC. If drivers will not work, you can use your recovery software to restore the laptop to factory settings or use the restore to the last known good configuration. You may also contact your PC manufacturer for further advice.