Ebony and Ivory

Riga, Latvia
The black and white keys upon a piano make it so that people can play a melody. In order to make a song sound like its supposed to you have to learn how to play these keys together. By understanding how the piano could be used to create music Paul McCartney produced one of his greatest hits in the period after the Beatles – the song “Ebony and Ivory”. He recorded in as a duet with Stevie Wonder and in 1982 the song rose to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and stayed there for a whole seven weeks. For many years before this McCartney had been a fan of Wonder. On his album with Wings Red Rose Speedway in 1973 he included a message in Braille on the back for Wonder saying “We love you”. In the 1970s Wonder came out with songs which expressed a strong social consciousness so it is no wonder he was willing to record this song with McCartney. The song refers to the ebony or black keys and the white keys on the piano being side by side but actually deals with integration and racial harmony on a much deeper level. I think it is so important especially these days to find a way that people no matter what race they are could live with one another in harmony. What do you think and have you heard this song before? http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ebony-and-ivory-begins-a-seven-week-run-at-1-on-the-pop-charts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoknwWYpL_A
@sofssu (14467)
It was one of those songs I heard growing up. My mom would constantly sing Stevie wonders songs.. I became one of his great fans too. We still have these prejudices and racism every where.
@simone10 (21664)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I have always liked this song and think the lyrics are very important.
I remember this song very well and I like it, it is a long time I do not listen to it.
I like this song, it is beautifully melodic. It is a good example of the way we are interdependent and that opposites work well together.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
Yes I have... I have not heard it for a long time though.... I think the lyrics are good, but i'm not sure that we've made much progress in that area.... which of course is a shame....
Oh yes, I know this song well - in fact when I read your title, the very beginning of that song came to my head (what a blast from the past as I have not actually heard the song in years!!). Yes, the lyrics sent out an important message that we should all get along in "perfect harmony" - ah, we should, but I think the world is still working on it.
Never heard of that song before. The link is not working.
• Riga, Latvia
@marlina that is something that I think must be looked into. I have posted other YouTube videos and somehow the links just don't work.
• Preston, England
a lovely song, as much for Wonder as McCartney