Nothing Lasts Forever

@Raelove (17657)
Saco, Maine
Quite a few of us have been talking a lot lately about "that other place." Well, I went there just now and what I found was pretty sad. The last comment on my last post from 2 days ago was from yesterday afternoon. When I went to the list of those I still follow, I saw that the last post was from 17 hours ago. Then I went to the "latest" tab and noticed that, of all the posts there since yesterday, most have 0 to 2 views, with maybe 2 exceptions that got a few more. I think it's safe to say that the site is in its last legs and is fading fast. Unless admin pulls some new trick promise out of its hat or people suddenly decide to go back in droves, it's pretty much a done deal from what I can see. This does not come as any great surprise. For months, contributors there have been left adrift with no word other than from a moderator who insists that nothing is wrong. I think that's the worst insult of all, to think that people are that stupid that they can't see what's happening. This calls to mind one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost: Nothing Gold Can Stay. I have to chuckle when I think of all the people who thought that "that other place" would last forever. Nothing ever does.
    Subscribe for ad free access & additional features for teachers. Authors: 267, Books: 3,607, Poems & Short Stories: 4,435, Forum Members: 71,154, Forum Posts: 1,238,602, Quizzes: 344 Toggle navigation Literature Network ? Robert Frost » Nothing Gold Ca
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I have been there a few times over the last few days, and it's been down a lot. I think that is another reason that people are not posting. They simply can't get in half the time.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, and at this rate, it won't take long before no one is posting. It's almost there now.
@bagarad (12868)
• Paso Robles, California
I think Bubblews is on its way out. I'm glad I've kept copies of all my posts.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
@bagarad I never kept copies of anything, and I've written hundreds in two years, none of which ever even got me featured. So I doubt a Pulitzer Prize is forthcoming anytime soon. They can keep it all. I call it my "fluff work" anyway.
The last few days, every time I have tried to go there the site was down. It is depressing, it looks like a deserted place.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it does. It feels eery.
@bagarad (12868)
• Paso Robles, California
I had no problem getting in tonight to delete posts.
@bagarad I have heard from others unable to get in.
We have seen good sites disappear before like "Squidoo" and you are right nothing last for ever.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I remember Squidoo. I tried it once and didn't like it at all. WikiNut is another one I tried. I wrote more than a dozen well-though-out articles there, and never made a cent. Just more empty promises. And no one ever responded to my questions as to when exactly I would be paid. I guess that would be never!
@Raelove I used to love Squidoo, couldn't wait to get up early in the morning and work at it. Over a few years, I made more than $6,000.00 U.S. which translated to more in Canadian money. I sure miss that place.
@marlina Wow - you did really well with Squidoo!!
I'm still trying to check in, but with no success this morning. I got the maintenance message - and upon trying again, the darn homepage was left in loading mode. At this point, forever won't be happening. But for that place to pan out to nothing, that impression may last forever.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I was able to check in, but once there, I couldn't refresh or do much else. And the stats continue to deteriorate.
@Raelove I believe it! There will be less and less going on there . . .
some'f us jest've high hopes that the garden'll return. not fer the pennies, but fer the friendships that were forged. luckily many 'f us 've email addy's to keep in touch with those that wove their lives into ours...'n then we found many 'f those 'lost friends' here. i tried to get on 'that other place' last eve 'n faced a downed site. couldn't get in this mornin' either. it jest saddens my heart. the folks't h.q. either 've given up 're 'r scramblin' to save - i've yet to figure which.
@bagarad (12868)
• Paso Robles, California
I just deleted three more of my best posts today. I plan to move them to sites where they will do me more good.