My charity initiative

@alberello75 (13684)
Genova, Italy
Near my home, there is a discount food. Sometimes I go there, to shop for me, or my mother sent me to buy things for home. Outside, there is a black boy of about 30 years, from Nigeria. He spends several hours out there, hoping that passers offer him some money. I see him still there. To me many times asked, but until yesterday, (maybe I have to say a little selfish on my part!), I never gave him even 50 Euro cents! Yesterday, however, I wanted to talk to him and I made a special speech. He does not speak Italian very well, but we both understand each other. I promised him that, on October 1 (which is next Thursday), me and he will go to the cafe, and I will offer him whatever he wants to eat and drink. I decided on that date, as the first of every month, I take my little allowance, so that it seemed like the right opportunity. I, excuse me as my personal opinion, I prefer to offer to these poor people, food, rather than money. Why? Simple, if I were to offer him money, I would be sure that he will make a good use?
This is a good idea, I am not sure that they spend money for useful things. I have offered to one of them an old coat (still good) that my husband does not use anymore. Here the winter is cold.
@alberello75 (13684)
• Genova, Italy
In fact, even when it's cold, he always there, to beg.
@alberello75 I've done that before. It is better to offer them food than money because they are greatful if they are truely poor.
@alberello75 (13684)
• Genova, Italy
@Berniezeitler In fact, then I will do in this way.
I prefer to offer food also, not money.
@alberello75 (13684)
• Genova, Italy
I repeat, I do not offer money, because they could make a bad use!
• Vancouver, Washington
@alberello75 i don't think its a good idea to offer money i would go purchase some food thou.
@swissheart (6249)
I agree that it's best to offer them food instead of money. but I saw myself confrunted with the situation in which I bought them a bottle of milk for their babies and they told me that the brand isn't ok and that I should buy another one. of course I just left. my point is that not all of them are poor
@alberello75 (13684)
• Genova, Italy
You see, sometimes, many beg for vices (drinking and smoking). Several, however, have to eat and sleep. There are associations that deal with homelessness,.
• Denmark
I also offer food occasionally instead of money. As most beggars in Germany come from Eastern Europe and are organised in gangs, money would go to the bosses of the gangs, not to the poor individual beggar.
@MALUSE It's the same in Italy but the gangs come from Albania.
That is a great idea as if you give money, you don't know what it would be spent on.
That is a nice thing for you to do to offer to feed him.
@alberello75 (13684)
• Genova, Italy
"Give food to the hungry" it is one of the principles of the Catholic Religion.
@lady1993 (16101)
you are quite right, it is better to give food because you are sure that the money you spent is used well
@rakski (2582)
it is kind of your to offer him whatever you can offer. I agree with you, I rather offer them to buy food than give them money not knowing where they will use the money.
When I give money it's up to them to spend it as they wish. I would hate to take a woman out and only feed her to only find out she needed personal care items. Now,I don't give to everyone that asks me. I need to feel something to offer anything.