Do you leave 'nice' comments that you don't really mean?

I read a post on another site earlier today. It wasn't very good, as a matter of fact it was lousy. Yet, if I had read the comments before I read the actual post I would have assumed I was about to read something beyond wonderful. Comments like: * You are so talented * You should write a book * You write like a professional I wasn't about to say what I really thought, so I took the coward's way out - I didn't leave a comment. What do you do in situations like that?
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
I prefer not to say anything rather than say something I don't mean. That's not being a coward at all. That's being honest. There are lots of posts that don't move me enough to comment, and I won't violate my own personal convictions just to appear friendly. And I don't expect people to like or comment on my posts if they don't feel moved to do so.
Well said and concurred!
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Thanks. That said, I've been tempted to reply to some posts in, shall I say, a less-than-flattering way. What would be the point? It would only foster bad feelings and ill will. And it would solve nothing. So, I just comment when the spirit moves me to do so in a positive way.
I'm not a hypocrite, I am unable to leave a nice comment if there is nothing nice or well written to comment.
Same here. And not to cause an uproar by telling what I really mean it's better to not leave a comment at all.
@AbbyGreenhill It is what I usually do when I see a meaningless discussion. I close it without a comment.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
@AbbyGreenhill I agree, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, or cause an uproar... so ... I don't join in....
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I try to find something to write about. But not everyone who gives praise to articles that are poorly written are being insincere. They simply don't know that the article is badly written. They think it's great. Not everyone looks at things with the same eye.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
That's a good point @Rollo1 ....
@moffittjc (45390)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was thinking the same thing @rollo1. Some people clearly don't know when an article is not worth the paper it's written on.
• Williamsburg, Virginia
I'm not sure. I probably wouldn't say anything. But I would to read the article to actually tell you what I would do.
That's a good point.
• Uzbekistan
I can guarantee you that you'll never get an insincere, mellifluous comment from me.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
Honesty is the best policy so no I will not do that. If I can't say something nice to anyone, then I won't say anything at all. I have seen some discussions that to me weren't discussions, and I just left and moved on and never said anything.
• Mumbai, India
I agree. Keeping mum is gr8. forget, move on and continue
People can get really nasty and it just draws negative attention to themselves.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
@AbbyGreenhill That is the truth. I find that it is better not to say anthing than say something that I might regret later on. It is best to just walk away.
@yukimori (9072)
Nope. There was a point in time where I'd happily tell the poster what I really thought of the post (in no uncertain terms)... Now that I've actually developed some tact, I'm a lot more inclined to just ignore it and move on to something else. Depending on the site, I might take note of who the commenters are... after all, it's hard to trust praise when the poster is in the habit of heaping undue compliments on everything...
Some of those who commented are in the same 'group' and they all swoon over each other I guess.
With not everyone on here speaking English as a first language, it is frequent that posts are poorly composed. I will not flatter and lie, but I may try to think of at least some way to agree with the poster or disagree in a nice way but I will not lie.
@Bluedoll (17052)
I don't know what website you are referring to but maybe the comments were scripted.
I doubt that highly.
@Bluedoll (17052)
@AbbyGreenhill I don't leave nice comments I don't mean.
• Walnut Creek, California
No, when i see something really poorly written, I might comment on the subject, but I wouldn't call bad writing good writing. The spammers used to do that on Bubblews. Or maybe it was from someone else who is challenged in the writing arena.
Or because they said the same thing on every article they commented on w/o reading any of them.
I do not remember writing anything that I do not mean not just here but even in the real world I will not say something just to please someone.
That's a good way to be, honesty!
I leave what I thing that is correct for me.Not trying to be nice but sensible
That's the best way to handle it.
If you can not say nothing nice than say nothing at all. which is what you did.
I don't leave a comment i don't mean . When i respond it's actually what i would like to say about what was posted . But if i have nothing to say , i just like the post for the poster to see that i have briefly read his post , though nothing more to say .
@cahaya1983 (10038)
If I think what I would say is better left unsaid then I'd do the same thing - not leave any comment. If I do say something, it's really what I mean and not just for the sake of saying something nice.
I leave my comment and move on.
@PrarieStyle (2495)
No, I won't leave a "nice" comment, I'd just scroll on by. I don't usually get personal here anyway. Telling them their writing or their post is good or lousy, would be a personal comment.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
I too often take the coward's way out and choose not to comment, for the same reasons.
I don't leave comments if I have nothing to say. If it's not well written or is something that I am not interested in then I don't like it or leave a comment. I haven't seen many bad ones on here.
@Dragonairy1 (1413)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
I'd do the same as you, and just not comment.