Following in daughter's footsteps!

@Fleura (5108)
United Kingdom
I seem to have got to that stage of life where, instead of my children just doing things I do, the balance has shifted. The story started about 3 Christmases ago, when some friends gave us a voucher for two people to have a trial sailing session at a reservoir nearby. It was filed away waiting for a fine day, but the year flew past and the expiry date was fast approaching before we realised. In a hurry, we managed to organise a session on the last possible day and my partner took Big One, who was then aged 7½. She really enjoyed it so the instructor told her that she could learn to sail once she was 8 years old. When her birthday came around, we booked her the RYA level 1 course as a birthday present. The course for children lasts a week and includes plenty of games, with a day of dressing up as pirates and eating cake as the culmination of the week. She had a great time! So this year for her birthday we got her the level 2 course. Due to management problems it ended up being postponed until the summer but she eventually got to go in August and again loved every minute. At the end of it she was given her certificate and free membership of the sailing club so she can now hire a boat and go out sailing on her own. This could be a good new hobby as it isn’t that expensive to hire a small boat for half a day and the place is almost on our doorstep. There seem to be plenty of young (and old) people involved so it would be a nice way to meet new people and grow in confidence and experience. The catch is that children under 12 must be accompanied by parents/guardians while they are there, which would mean spending the time sitting around drinking tea and watching a speck on the water, a tedious way to spend the time! So my partner suggested one of us should also learn to sail so we could go with her and do something a bit more interesting. He talked me into going; I wasn’t sure if I’d drawn the long or the short straw. It did seem to make sense though so I booked myself onto the two courses on consecutive weekends (the adults’ course is only 2 days as there are no fun things involved!) and now is the best time for warm water in case I fell in! So that is how I spent the first two weekends of September, learning about sheets and booms, tying knots and capsizing. It was more fun than I expected and we were also blessed with gorgeous weather, I got a suntan as I stood around in my swimsuit eating lunch! We will see if this could be a fun way to spend some time together.
@Rollo1 (16661)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think it sounds like a great hobby and pastime and it's really nice that you can do it together. And you will have the confidence as much as she does in your sailing abilities. It's an unusual gift but it turned out to be a very good gift, one that gave her new skills.
@Fleura (5108)
Yes I did tell our friends that they were responsible for starting all this!
• Denmark
That's wonderful! I've never learnt to sail but had a folding canoe and paddled for many years
@Fleura (5108)
I have dabbled in a little bit of sailing before but was never inspired to really get keen. We are lucky though that the place is only 10 minutes drive away and it's a good big site, people drive for hours to come here, so it seems something of a shame not to take advantage of it!
Sounds like a lot of fun.
• Vancouver, Washington
quality time
@softbabe44 (5967)
• Vancouver, Washington
you know you might find that its just as important to spend time together i think you will see a sure sign that it is fun and inspirational
What a wonderful way to spend the first two weeks of the month. I know how to paddle, but I am unable to sail.