One of my friends, living of illusions…

@alberello75 (16530)
Genova, Italy
I say: exists maybe the time machine? Answer: NO! Yesterday, my dear friend Maria Rosa, who owns a laptop, already bought five years ago, Operating System Windows 7, found an app to "rejuvenate" the computer! (this according to her...). This application is called: “OneSafe PC Cleaner”. Ok, free application, “weighs” only about 2 Megabytes (and this means that it is not very sophisticated). The purpose of it is to remove every "what's wrong" to the inside of the system, including even obsolete files. But the PC can not "go young", or rather, to keep up with modern times! That she does not want to understand! Okay, not all of us have of course the money to buy a new PC every year, on this, no doubt. But sometimes, even trust the opinions of those who have tried such applications, according to me, is not always convenient. A person could keep his old PC, even 10 years. All this is inherent in how he/she uses it. It is one thing to lay out text documents (in this case, I say OK!), But if you think for example to play videogames as "FIFA 2016" (soccer game), with graphics "three-dimensional", well, then, maybe it's worth taking a different decision, obviously according to your budget. Image source: Pixabay.com
@topffer (33234)
• France
I keep an old desktop under Windows only for gaming, but I don't intend to replace it. Since about 10 years, all my laptops are running Linux. It is not good for games, but enough for what I usually do with my computer, and some flavors of Linux working in RAM are not bad at all to "rejuvenate" an old computer.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
I know that Linux is free 100%, but sometimes incompatible with many applications.
Of course everything is about what do you use your PC for. I have one desktop PC that is now 7 years old, but very good for word processing.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Yes, in your case, at the moment, it is still valid as a device
@alberello75 I also have a recent laptop, in case I need more power.
Maybe your friend doesn't want to play the latest gamers and doesn't need a new computer.
@vandana7 (62466)
Yes, there are many other things that a computer will be good enough for. Like creating excel sheets, and writing. Provided he has the required drivers for printing all that, and uploading or attaching to any email.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
No, she is not interested in video games
@Salamnda (479)
when you cant afford it, this kind of solutions will give you some sort of satisfaction that you feel the computer is faster again, and that might be done by installing a fresh windows, so things will return to the start where you used to feel the computer is fast and the browser windows , are opening so fast , and software runs so fast to , but by time, your machine wont run other softwares that is updated every year, in my experience, buying a good pc is the best to keep you running for many years , until you cant take it any more and its so slow, to the point you cant complete your work
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Moreover, I know that, with the passing of time, sometimes, new generation software are incompatible with older operating systems.
@softbabe44 (5908)
• Vancouver, Washington
i would use it as long as i could
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
I hope you can use it as long as possible. However I specify that use the PC for video games, are money wasted! In case for that purpose there is for example Playstation. Not so, that a computer should be used.
• Vancouver, Washington
@alberello75 how is the weather in italy
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
@softbabe44 Well, after the heatwave summertime unbearable, that to me personally has "destroyed", the weather is far better now. However, we are approaching to the winter and then get ready to cold season.
I kept my last laptop for 6 or 7 years, it was nice to get a new faster one!
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Listen this. Before buying my current PC, from my mother gave me for my 40 years, I had an old desk, about 10 years old, still with WXP. I, through tips found on the network, I was able to enter the system, disabling all the services that absorbed resources. Impressive (not to boast of my skill), the transformation at the level of speed, how I managed to make it fast!
Some of those programs do damage.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Yes, indeed, this is what I always thought.
I have had my desktop for ten years now and I will use it as long as I can.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Until it works, you can use to do what do you need.
I think any computer should last at least 10 years. Most can't afford new ones that come out every year. The one I have needs to last.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
You're right, but the technology is advancing, and we unfortunately, live in a society based purely on consumerism!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
On the other hand, if she just browses the web, and maybe does a Word document now and then, no point in upgrading until she has to.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Yes I know, but we should consider the fact that a computer can not last forever
I'm not sure if I have much to add of a serious nature, but I do have a way to 'fix' her computer... Tell her that If you remove everything inside (all components) it will be lighter and everything that is wrong with the system will be 'removed'. On a Serious note: Those programs are something to be careful of though because They are sometimes viruses which destroy the internal operations completely though.
@alberello75 (16530)
• Genova, Italy
Ok. Thank you for your suggestion.
I don't download anything but pictures to my computer and I always remove them.