He is Still the President

@Raelove (16290)
Saco, Maine
I'm no political junkie, not by a long shot. Half the time, I have no clue what's going on, and the other half, I'm just not paying attention. One thing I don't like, however, is how the President is being made the brunt of so many jokes and negative comments, both online and off. I have not followed his career anymore closely than I have any other president in my 65 years. But I have to say that I find it unacceptable to make him a laughingstock. A lot of that is due to social networking and to the speed with which all information--good or bad--is disseminated. But the fact remains that he is still our president here in the U.S., and for that reason alone, he deserves our respect. He is, like all the others before him, doing the best he can with what he has to work with, which has been a Congress and Senate that can't even be bothered to bend over and tie their own shoes. And in the final tally, which one of us, myself included, could do a better job or would even want the job? History books show that no president is without his faults, not even the great Franklin D. Roosevelt or Abe Lincoln. Before any of those men were president, they were human beings with all the flaws that all the rest of us have. But the fact that they were and are our leaders should be enough to garner them at least some measure of respect. It is for me.
@Rollo1 (16708)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I don't think he gets less respect than any other president, it's just that we don't pay attention to the insults thrown by people we agree with against people we don't agree with as much as we pay attention to insults thrown at people we like. I don't remember any big hullabaloo when people were marching in protests carrying signs that said "Kill Bush". They made a movie about assassinating George W Bush while he was still in office. I think that's fairly disrespectful. Everywhere he was said to be stupid and people made fun of the way he pronounced words,etc. If you don't want to be ridiculed by your political opponents, you need to stay out of politics. You should read some of the things that John Adams had to say about the other founding fathers. He said Washington was illiterate and unlearned, he called Hamilton a "(word not allowed at myLot) brat" and he called Benjamin Franklin an "insult to good manners and decency". This is the way politics has ever been.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
You make good points. I mean this across the board: I never like it when any president is dissed by anyone. And yes, I have read how the founding fathers were not all generous toward each other. Because something has always been doesn't make it right. Disagreed with is one thing, but I truly do not see the need for ridicule. It accomplishes nothing. In a perfect world, I suppose...wishful thinking!
I have never like that behavior either. It comes with respect, we need to respect the man and the office, even if we disagree with the decisions coming out of it.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@Jessicalynnt That's right. I think it's wrong to expect a president to be some sort of god. But he (or she) should be respected for even wanting to do a job that 99% of the rest of us would not want. Funny, though, how we are quick to criticize!
@Raelove they make it personal, criticize his decisions and such, but leave him as a person alone.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@Jessicalynnt Yes, it's fine to criticize his policies. But they are not who he is. They are often the product of compromises made to keep a bipartisan system working.
@dlr297 (5358)
@Raelove... Respect is something that is earned....Obama is making himself a laughingstock....not only here in the US, but around the world....World leaders have no respect for him..... And as a American i have the God given right to voice my opinion about anything i wish to.. I have the right to give respect where respect is earned....
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
I don't know enough to comment on how he is making a laughingstock of himself, as I don't watch much news. I do have a problem, though, with making fun of someone I don't know personally. That accomplishes nothing. And as you have the right to give respect where it is earned, I, too, have the right to show it to all human beings regardless of what I think of them. Thanks for your thoughts!
@dlr297 (5358)
@Raelove If you are saying that you respect everyone....Do you mean that you respect murders, child molesters, thief's, and people that lie.... Love is the only thing that every human being deserves.....
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@dlr297 I can respect the humanity in a person, but that doesn't mean that I have to like what they do.
@topffer (31200)
• France
I suppose that it is the same in many western countries, at least it is in mine. It is not new, but it has a bit changed since about 15 years in France. We have still an "Offense to the Head of State" in our criminal law (it is a fine, you cannot go to jail for it), but it is no more or very rarely used. Social networks have changed the rules of the game, and bashing or laughing at the President is common. Maybe it is a proof that we are living in democracies.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@topffer Perhaps, but then it doesn't put the concept of a democracy in a good light if we are so quick to denigrate our leaders. It is up to us not to elect them in the first place.
@topffer (31200)
• France
@Raelove Nobody is elected unanimously today, except perhaps in North-Korea, and it is not a model of democracy. Social networks have offered a tribune to unsatisfied people, and some of them are abusing.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@topffer Yes they are. And we seem to have reached a point where the line between what's right and what's wrong has become irrevocably blurred.
@mom210 (5994)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It is one of those things that happens, they make fun of all of them for something seems like. They also make fun of the vice presidents, think of Dan Quayle and how they made him out to be a dunce. Ford, Jimmy Carter, even JFK and Clinton were made fun for womanizing. They always find something and always will. I guess it is their way of making them human.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
I guess it is. But in the end, it amounts to nothing. Because everyone makes up their own mind about politicians anyway.
@mom210 (5994)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Raelove It s a shame, the office should be shown a certain amount of respect even if you did not put that guy in but many do not feel thst way
@owstalaga (4313)
It's hard to be a group leader, what more if you are the president? All those detractors who only know how to criticize never think for a second how being a leader of an entire country could be difficult. I've stopped being a leader after college because I got tired of it. Most people would rather just sit back and relax instead of helping the group even if you delegate. Being in a high position is not all that fun if you're serious about it. I think those who make fun of nation's leaders have nothing better to do. Or maybe they just like to make fun of other people. Sometimes if a meme is funny and not insulting I think it's fine. And it's true, there is and will never be a perfect president anywhere. People will always have their own flaws but if all of a country's citizen would each do our part in helping our leaders then any country will do better and probably succeed in making each of our lives better.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@owstalaga Words of wisdom. You are right on all counts. And in this ever-increasingly combatant society of ours, it seems that some people aren't happy unless they're being hurtfully critical, as if that helps anyone! For those same people, whoever is in office must BE perfect and DO everything perfectly according to the way they think it should be done. In a "perfect" world perhaps...You are also right about people passing the buck. They gripe a lot, but when it comes down to actually doing something about a problem, they're too busy. I know so many people like that right here in my neck of the woods. To me, no president is perfect. But they all deserve respect for just wanting to do the job and believing they can make a difference. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I know what you are saying friend. It is the height of disrespect and quite frankly sickening on the Twitter especially.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
Thing is, it solves nothing! And it just casts a shadow over everything. I get so tired of it.