What musical instrument(s) do you play?

By Miki
@Micmac (6837)
I've played many different musical instruments throughout the years, nothing special or serious, mainly just for the fun. My question is are you playing any musical instrument? Are you learning one or have you tried to play any? Did you take lessons, self-taught or do you just want to make some noise?
I never tool lessons, I can play a bit the piano, but not very well.
@Micmac (6837)
@LadyDuck You've self-taught yourself the piano, that's cool. I did the same with the guitar, never took lessons but managed to pull together tunes by ear.. Composed my own guitar songs just for fun.
@Micmac My parents bought for me a small piano with colored keys when I was very young. I started playing that one. It was funny.
@Micmac (6837)
@LadyDuck Oh yes, I had one of those colored keys toy piano too. I used to hit the keys so loud for hours, almost beat the life out of that small piano! It use to drive my mom insane! I guess it served its purpose to spur me on to play a real piano later on. Oh yea, once I tried to play my friend's accordion a few times. No applause, just laughs. I couldn't hold a note for the life of me.
@cahaya1983 (9449)
I just play the piano, I took formal classes when I was 7. The piano is at my parents' house now though, so I just play it for fun whenever I go back to visit.
@Micmac (6837)
@cahaya1983 It's wonderful to have talent to play the piano. I played the piano for awhile as a kid, but later I lost interest. After that I bought a kiddie electronic organ and managed to play some tunes from a song book. I had fun with this one.
@Micmac Oh yeah I remember the kiddie electronic organ! We had one of those too. Many years after that my parents bought me a real electronic keyboard.
@Micmac (6837)
@cahaya1983 Yes, with the kiddie electronic organ it was easy to learn notes. It encouraged me to try out a few other musical instruments later. I must admit my talent was kind of lame so as it turned out, my attempt to play other instruments would make one go totally deaf.
@rosekiss (30153)
• Eugene, Oregon
I do have a clarinet, but play it, no I don't as i haven't been practicing like I should. I have dogs and when I squeak accidentally, they take off to their beds. That is a fast way to get them to bed for sure. Anyway, i just haven't got it out in months maybe over a year or more. I am not sure if I ever will again, but who knows, I might decide to take it up again.
@rosekiss (30153)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Micmac That is hilarious. i like trying to play theclarinet, but with the dogs, the sound hurts their ears. It is funny though, when they take off running to their beds.
@Micmac (6837)
@rosekiss I can imagine.., I am laughing out loud just picturing that scene with your dogs running for cover while you're playing the clarinet. Would make a good comedy movie, for sure!
@rosekiss (30153)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Micmac Oh yea, maybe even Americas Funniest Home Videos.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I learned to play the guitar when I was in my twenties. Mostly self taught but I did have a little bit of help by someone who was also self taught lolz Well I had a few guitars through the years but nothing serious.
@Micmac (6837)
@TiarasOceanView Nice to know you're a guitar player Tiara. I played the guitar a few years back, self- taught just to the point of learning a few notes to strum along. I loved playing the folk song 'Hava Nagila' and 'Hey Jude.' Also composed some of my own songs. Also, I played the piano when I was a kid. Ventured into playing other instruments for fun, but mostly that was a disaster.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Micmac Oh you played the lovely piano too? It is so beautiful an instrument..I love it, but never learned. When I first started playing the guitar I played the proverbial House of the Rising Sun and then moved on to Van Halen haha Aint Talkin Bout Love.
@Micmac (6837)
@TiarasOceanView Yes, I enjoyed the piano very much and I had a nice, patient piano teacher. So cool that you play rock music on the guitar. Some years ago, I bought a harmonica and learned myself how to play a few folk tunes. Surprised myself as I learned to play the song by ear: 'Home Home on the Range.'
@shshiju (9290)
• Cochin, India
I love flute and manage to make some sounds.
@Micmac (6837)
@shshiju That's great. I like listening to the sound of the flute. Once I managed to make a few people laugh when they heard me make sounds on the flute.
@shshiju (9290)
• Cochin, India
@Micmac I am also like that not perfect in this manner
@Micmac (6837)
@shshiju haha We are two alike then. I think my attempt to play the flute actually scared my friends away.
@owstalaga (4200)
I'm not an expert but I've tried playing the piano, ukulele and flute. It's fun to play music but I don't think I'll ever be a composer.
@Micmac (6837)
@owstalaga Awesome that you play three musical instruments! I the beautiful sound of the ukulele. I've played the piano, harmonica, electric organ (kiddie one) and guitar, mostly for fun. I've tried playing the flute one time, only to scare my friend.
@owstalaga (4200)
@Micmac Oh wait! I remember I played the melodica in grade school! We had a school band and I played that along with my classmates. I am not an expert on the piano or flute or ukulele at all but I can play the melodica with no problem except when I'm tired of blowing air to play it.
@Micmac (6837)
@owstalaga That makes 4 musical instruments you know how to play. I never played the melodica - sounds fun. I'm really not good at playing wind instruments - I always get out of breath and hyperventilate when playing them.
I was forced to learn the accordion when I was young. I think it was some kind of punishment.
@Micmac (6837)
@AbbyGreenhill That doesn't sound like much fun, but I guess you had no choice being forced to play an instrument. Still, you've had the experience of learning to play an instrument which is good. I played my friend's accordion for fun just fooling around with it. Hearing the agonizing sounds I played on it, I was told never to play the accordion again to which I agreed.
@Micmac Funny thing, my husband played the accordion also
@Micmac (6837)
@AbbyGreenhill Two peas in a pod.
@Jackalyn (6677)
• Oxford, England
I was once taught the violin. The teacher cheered the day I gave up. My kids however, are super musical and play the piano by ear and my son is base guitarist in the band he formed. He can also do keyboard.
@Micmac (6837)
@Jackalyn That's great you've taught the violin. lol about the teacher. Once I tried to play my friend's violin which scared the life out of my pet cat as she hid underneath the bed. Wow, how nice your kids are talented musicians! They are very gifted.
@Jackalyn (6677)
• Oxford, England
@Micmac I think it was thought great I gave up the violin rather than learned it!
@Micmac (6837)
@Jackalyn Oh yes, I see, I misunderstand, somehow I missed the word 'was'. I got it.
@cgalavia (1419)
I always want to learn how to play a guitar but whenever someone will try to teach me.It is always interrupted so I'll never learn.I can't afford to have a lesson or maybe never come in my mind of having a lesson.
@Micmac (6837)
@cgalavia Yes, it does take commitment to learn and practice an instrument. I hope one day you'll spare some time for guitar lessons. Perhaps you might discover a special talent as you play the guitar?
@cgalavia (1419)
@Micmac Oh yes, to learn is also to have a commitment, I just wish what you said will come true. It's not too late so why not. I've known a few who were able to discover their new talents when they reach at age level of 40's and no wonder if they want to pursue with it.
@Micmac (6837)
@cgalavia Hey, you never know, the sky's the limit. Take a chance to reach your aspirations when you can my friend.
I never had the money to take any musical lessons.
@Micmac (6837)
@jstory07 What musical instrument would you like to play if you could take lessons?
@Micmac I always wanted to take piano lessons.
@Micmac (6837)
@jstory07 Nice..I hope your wish will come true my friend.
@dpk262006 (54659)
I play music on my wooden table.
@Micmac (6837)
You must be a pro musician.
@dpk262006 (54659)
@nafretiti (110)
• Antigo, Wisconsin
I used to play the clarinet and the piano. I quit band in sixth grade and took choir instead, enjoyed that a whole lot more than anything. I'd like to take more piano, but no money for lessons right now.
@Micmac (6837)
hi @nafretit I love the sound of the piano. I took lessons when I was a kid about a year. Did a piano recital for a social gathering, played at our school assembly. After that I lost interest. I hope someday you'll continue with the piano. Wind instruments sound beautiful. I tried to play the flute once but got out of breath and gave up entirely.
• Antigo, Wisconsin
@Micmac I had thought about playing the flute one time but decided to stick with choir. Wasn't really fond of the band teacher, but anyways thank you I hope to get back with the piano.I loved it.
@kepweng (6328)
i play before drums but i love violins!
@Micmac (6837)
Hey, that's cool @kepweng I had a friend who played the drums. I used to play his drums just out of kicks. I had to laugh because I knew my attempt at playing the drums gave him a terrible earache as he would quickly run away from me to the next room.
• Preston, England
Sadly I have no musical skills whatsoever
@Micmac (6837)
okay,@arthurchappell many people are in the same boat, nothing to be sad about though my friend.
@writerjo (1320)
@Micmac No , I have not played any musical instrument . I have visited an institute for a registration and dropped
@Micmac (6837)
@writerjo Oh, okay. I would like to know if you could play a musical instrument by chance, which one would you choose?
I had a guitar when I was younger, but I sucked at it.
@Micmac (6837)
@Susan2015 Oh, at least you've tried playing an instrument. So, that's a good thing. I can't tell you how many musical instruments I've sucked at, yet I had fun experimenting with them for the most part. I've learned to play the piano, guitar and the harmonica fairly well.