Poke salad

@1creekgirl (10351)
Have you ever eaten poke (or is it polk?) salad? My husband grew up in the country in Arkansas and his mama cooked it sometimes. One time she asked me if I wanted some poke salad and I told her kindly that thanks, but no thanks, I don't eat anything that grows in a ditch. Glad she laughed.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
As others have stated, it is a green that grows wild and, from what I've read, was a staple in the poorer households of the deep south for many years. I've never tried it. It's official name is American pokeweed, and if the leaves and stems are cooked properly, it's not toxic. The Appalachian method involved boiling the poke with fatback, which we know as salt pork.
@1creekgirl (10351)
Thanks for the info!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@1creekgirl My pleasure. I love food culture, so I just automatically looked it up. Interesting stuff.
I have no clue what a poke salad is.
@1creekgirl (10351)
It's a green of some kind that grows wild, sometimes in a ditch. I don't plan to eat any if I can help it.
Definitely not something that's on my culinary list of things to try. I didn't even know what it was until I read @owlwings response
@1creekgirl (10351)
Owlwings had lots of good information. I still don't want to eat it, even if it is cooked correctly!
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I have heard of it, and of course it was made famous in the song, but I haven't ever had even one tiny tingly urge to eat it.
@1creekgirl (10351)
Know what ya mean! I don't do collards, either. Maybe I'm not really a Southerner after all
@bunnybon7 (36548)
• Holiday, Florida
i thought we had picked it other places also. it was really good when grandma made it.
@1creekgirl (10351)
Hopefully it wasn't picked in a ditch! I guess if it's prepared right, maybe it would taste OK.