The Big Boys and Their Pop Guns

@Raelove (17602)
Saco, Maine
I was awakened early today by the sound of shotguns going off in the distance. Unlike a handgun, a rifle, or a semi-automatic, shotguns make a very loud pop/bang sound that reverberates through the woods. And the sound means that at least a few turkeys are no longer walking this earth minding their own business. Wild turkey hunting season started 3 days ago and will last until Nov. 1st, when deer hunting season kicks in. I hate it all, considering how pointless it is in this day and age and in this particular area to be killing wildlife at all. But hunting is a huge deal in Maine, and don't you dare diss any hunters, because their right to kill things is protected by the U.S. Constitition. I got up early and went out on the porch to put out my bird feeders. While I wasn't able to help any turkeys, at least I can feed the other little birds, squirrels and chipmunks.
• Uzbekistan
Germany is a densely populated country. Surprisingly, there are still enough forests where deer, wild boar and foxes live. They're also hunted during hunting season as are hares in the fields. Plain silly as you've said!
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. As I've stated before, if one must hunt to eat and survive, it's one thing. But in this day and age, I seriously doubt that's the case with most folks. And we usually have at least one or two hunting incidents, sometimes fatal, to further illustrate the ludicrousness of it all.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@Raelove I think there's also the aim of reducing the herd numbers so the deer don't starve over the winter.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
@Rollo1 Yes, that is part of the hunting process from the expert point of view. To me that's backwards thinking. Many animals that aren't hunted starve during the winter. It's a fact of nature. In the wild, each species takes care of the other. It is only since humans began to intervene that there's been a problem. No one cares if raccoons and other animals die of starvation. That's what keeps those populations in check. I've always been a proponent of letting nature take care of things. But that's just me. I just hate killing things needlessly.
My son in law put up pictures of wild turkeys visiting their yard sale a couple of weeks ago. I bet if the turkeys came to your bird feeders they would be safe.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
I wish they would! I should be like the witch in Hansel and Gretel and put down a trail of corn from the edge of the woods across the road!
@garymarsh6 (14430)
I am afraid I am in the non hunting camp too. If you are starving then yes ok there is a difference but to do it just for the thrill or sport then I am in total disagreement about it.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Yup, that's pretty much how I feel. And hearing those shots this morning just reminded me how happy I'll be when Nov. 30 rolls around!
As I already said, I can accept hunting if it's needed to bring food in your home, but as a sport is a plain silly thing.
@mom210 (6771)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We have a hunting range behind us and they sure can noisy
@mom210 (6771)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Raelove They can really make us feel bad when that happens can't they? I get, "mommy, you said we shouldn't say that!" oops. It does nto happen often but sometimes when a crazy crivwer makes me mad, it does happen.
I agree with you! I have hated hunting for a very long time and I can make no sense of killing the poor defenseless animals. I am glad I found you again! I joined last night.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
@Rinderella Oh Rindy, hi! SO glad to see you here again. I thought I'd lost you! The other place is so sad now... Look forward to your posts and comments!
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm not a hunter myself, but I respect hunters, so long as they eat what they kill.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
You got it.
I wild turkey tastes really good to. A yummy turkey dinner when you get that meat home.
When I was growing up in Quebec, hunting season was a huge thing there. Now I know that one of my brothers still hunts and love it. I personally never liked it.
@LeaPea2417 (22061)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I awoke to hearing rumbles like a sonic boom in the distance. It did not sound like thunder. I came to learn a military exercise was happening on the other side of the County in which I live. The sound was creepy on this rainy day.