Fungus season

@Fleura (7197)
United Kingdom
Fungi do grow all year round but undoubtedly the majority fruit (in other words produce mushrooms/toadstools) in the autumn. We’ve had lovely warm weather recently and now it’s turning damp, perfect conditions for fungi! Walking in the woods with Pup I’ve seen quite a selection in the last week or two. The way they appear and disappear overnight does make them seem somewhat magical and when I was little I loved to imagine them as associated with the fairy folk, as they often were in stories (not so much these days it seems?) I can just imagine this clump as a fairy marketplace!
Today it was sunny, after two days of rain, I imagine the woods are full of fungi. I love porcini mushrooms, they are delicious and the only one that I am sure to recognize.
@Fleura (7197)
I used to forage for wild mushrooms but now I don't bother much because no-one else in the family likes them.
@Fleura My husband also love mushrooms. I almost never buy porcini because they are so expensive.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I find mushrooms and toadstools to be really interesting as they come in so many shapes, patterns and colors, but I wouldn't ever pick wild ones to eat. I really don't know enough about them.
@Fleura (7197)
I have done in the past, making sure I knew the easily-recognised edible ones (and also the deadly poisonous ones so I was sure I wouldn't get the wrong ones!) As a child we only ever ate wild field mushrooms, when I saw those round white plastic-wrapped things in the shops I didn't know what they were!