A Virtue For The Strong

@else34 (13610)
New Delhi, India
Forgiveness is a divine virtue. I,however,think,you can forgive someone guilty of harming or hurting you only if you are strong enough to punish them adequately.Forgiveness is a virtue of those who are strong.It's not a virtue for weak persons.Your take,please.
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Forgiveness is one of the hardest things I have ever done. Not easy at all.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@simone10,Yes,it is very hard.You have to struggle with your suppressed anger which is not easy at all.And it's a divine virtue perhaps because it's so difficult.Big achievements are never easy.
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@else34 Very true. I had to forgive a family member once and it took years before I could honestly say I had forgiven them.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@simone10 And I am sure you must have become strong enough to punish him by then.Otherwise you could not be honest in forgiving him.Am I wrong?
I do not think it is so easy just to forgive. It would be ideal if punishment could be given out as well. A nice balance.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@Ocean Tiara,We all tend to punish those who had once hurt,harmed or humiliated us is easy.Once you get strong,you punish them.Forgiving them is,then,becomes almost unthinkable.That's why it is a virtue. So far as I am concerned,there are some people who I can't forgive,can't even think of forgiving them.Now I don't have the strength to punish them,but if get the strength,I won't forgive them.
@else34 I understand that jaishankar..some things are truly unforgivable.
@sofssu (14481)
Honestly, forgiveness isn't such a divine thing.. We all need to forgive so we don't hurt ourselves anymore and can move on with our lives.
@else34 (13610)
• New Delhi, India
@sofssu,You are right.Positive effect of all our virtues ultimately boomerangs on ourselves.If you speak the truth,you save your own life from complications.Still forgiving someone who had harmed you or insulted you is not easy.It's difficult,and,perhaps,that's why it's a virtue.