Ginger is my favorite spice

pic credit Pixabay
By sofs
@sofssu (14952)
I love fresh ginger. I use it in my tea, I flavor my water with lemon slices and ginger. I use a lot of ginger in my cooking and its my go to remedy for indigestion, cold, cough, sore throat and fever. I use a lot of ginger when I make curry or chicken soup. Do you use ginger? How do you use it? I also have some ornamental gingers in my garden.
Although eating ginger as a medication when I have nausea does not agree with me I like to add it in several of my dishes.
@sofssu (14952)
@allknowing By eating ginger do you mean eating it raw or plain?
About the only ginger I eat is 'Gingerbread' and Gingersnaps'.
@sofssu (14952)
@TexanTornado Wow don't you use ginger in your cooking? Maybe the next time you have a cold/ or even otherwise add some chopped ginger to the water and make your regular tea.. You may like it . Give it a try..
@sofssu Nope, I have never used ginger in my cooking. We have more of a taste for spices such as salt/pepper/cayenne/red pepper, jalapenos, etc. I will have to look up some recipes in which I would cook that calls for ginger. Although I wouldn't follow the recipe, but perhaps get an idea from it.
@sofssu (14952)
@TexanTornado LOL I am like that too .. I never follow recipes too You could use juliennes of ginger in a stir fry or roast. It gives the food a lot of heat just as Cayenne or jalapenos.
@cahaya1983 (10037)
I like the taste that it gives in some dishes. Sometimes when we cook chicken with soy sauce we usually add ginger. I don't like it fresh or adding them in drinks, though.
@cahaya1983 (10037)
@sofssu I remember when I was younger ginger drinks were quite famous here. I hardly see them now, though. Oh wow spicy ginger cake sounds nice, that's something I wouldn't mind trying.
@salonga (27955)
Ornamental ginger? I saw my brother's yellow ginger plants bearing very nice long lasting purple flowers. I used to think that gingers are only for cooking and healing. I was amazed to see they are bearing beautiful flowers too. I have them in my garden for my cooking but have yet to see their beautiful flowers.
@sofssu (14952)
@salonga Yes my ginger plants also have purple flowers.. but this is the edible ginger.. The ornamental plants have a wide range of colors and look really beautiful the one I have looks like a bromiliad.
@salonga (27955)
@sofssu so ornamental ginger are not edible! I am learning from you. Thanks! The purple flowers of yellow ginger of my brother are also like bromiliad. I think I should find out where to buy the ornamental gingers here.
@sofssu (14952)
@salonga You get such lovely torch gingers from Thailand. I bought my first one form ebay.
@wiLLmaH (8241)
• Singapore, Singapore
I love ginger tea but I do not know how to do it from scratch.
@sofssu (14952)
@wiLLmaH I just remove the skin on the root and grate it into boiling water and make my tea as usual. A tiny piece will do.
@wiLLmaH (8241)
• Singapore, Singapore
@sofssu Oh, need to grate! Ok. I will try that this weekend :)
@sofssu (14952)
@wiLLmaH Let me know how you like it.. make sure to add a small piece. Just a one cm cube for one cub will be more than sufficient.
@valmnz (12768)
• New Zealand
I've never used it from a plant, but do use a wonderful purchased ginger paste a lot in my cooking.
@sofssu (14952)
@valmnz I some how find the ginger paste in the market not as good as what we make from the fresh root. I have a few ginger plants and I harvest some ginger every three months. I enjoy fresh ginger more.
@valmnz (12768)
• New Zealand
@sofssu convenience in my case :-)
@sofssu (14952)
@valmnz I agree sometime when I am on the run I use some stuff for convenience sake.. Ginger is something I love to use.. more so because i have it growing at home.
@xiaolisu (2428)
I made some meat filling with Ginge.it freshen the filling more .I doesn't used Ginger with vegetable expect kimchi .
@sofssu (14952)
@xiaolisu I guess the ginger brings out the flavor the meat not allowing the smell of its rawness to overpower us. I don't use ginger with certain veggie preparations too.
@xiaolisu (2428)
@sofssu I just feel starving when read your post and cooking with meat and Ginger right now .
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
We use ginger when making stirfry. I have also boiled it to make a tea when I had an upset stomach.
@sofssu (14952)
@simone10 I love to add ginger to my stir fry too. The tea is also good to have when you have a cold or sore throat.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@sofssu I never tried ginger for that before. I will have to remember it.
I´m just learning the many uses of ginger. I only knew it for many years in a powered form. I added it to my apple pies.
@sofssu (14952)
@marguicha I love apple pies with dry ginger and cinnamon. It really smells heavenly. I love it in cookies too.
I do like ginger but have never used it fresh
@sofssu (14952)
@Marilynda1225 How do you get it there? Do you use dried powders? they smell and taste nothing like the herb/spice.. call it whatever. It have this lovely earthy smell and nice heat.
I don't think I've ever had or used it before. It looks like some kind of a funky onion thing.
@sofssu (14952)
@Susan2015 No its not like an onion. Haven't you heard of ginger bread or ginger snaps etc. It is a rhizome .. used in everyday cooking in most Asian countries. It has many health benefits, just to name two its known for its anti inflammatory properties and pain relieving.
I like ginger cookies that's about it. My fave spice is cinnamon.
@sofssu (14952)
@marlina But you may want to consider the health benefits of ginger.. anti inflammatory, antibiotic, natural pain reliever etc.. I used to have cups of ginger tea for my PMS and sever cramps that followed.
I like the ginger tea too , which i sometimes boil and drink . It's spicy but that's what makes it more tasty !
@sofssu (14952)
@SIMPLYD I love it more when I have a sore throat or I feel a cold is coming on. It quickly relieves me of that discomfort. But I usually add the ginger in my usual tea.
@Shellyann36 (11269)
I do enjoy small amounts of ginger. My favorite spice is probably cinnamon and then cumin is a close second. Cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory and I usually have a cup of honey cinnamon water every morning. I love the smell of cinnamon as well. Taking some cinnamon sticks and anise in a pot of water to boil and the entire house smells wonderful. I like the smokey taste of cumin. Cooking with both of these spices make the house smell so good.
@sofssu (14952)
@Shellyann36I use a lot of spices. I love ginger for its medicinal properties. I love the smell of cinnamon in my cakes and rolls. How do you use cumin? .. we use it a lot of dishes here, curry especially.
I have never used ginger but I will look into it to see if I will want to in the future,
@sofssu (14952)
@jstory07 And you might like it too.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I am a strange person, but I really don't like ginger at all. I think it might be that my mother used flat ginger ale as a cure for when we had tummy trouble. Perhaps it reminds me of being sick, but I really just dislike it.
• Hyderabad, India
i make the paste of ginger and garlic in ratio of 40:60.we can also store it in a glass jar and refrigerate.it adds wonderful taste and aroma while preparing curries.used almost in every indian curry.
@sofssu (14952)
@rashu_j883 True, I use ginger by itself and ginger garlic paste too. I use a lot of garlic in my meat preparations.
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
I hardly ever use it but do know it is very good for you..I wish i had some ornamental ginger growing in my garden..might have to check and see if i can find it!
@sofssu (14952)
@Rosekitty The ornamental gingers are so beautiful, I used to have many of them in our old home.. Here I have just one.. its pink and white and so beautiful.
@scheng1 (24741)
I live in high rise apartment without direct sunlight. Fortunately ginger is one of those plants that do not like sunlight. I have a pot of it outside, but we do not harvest it for cooking at all. I think when we start to dig the ginger from the pot, we should see quite a big one.
@sofssu (14952)
@scheng1 Ginger loves sunshine. I think it would also grow well without direct sunshine. I am sure you would have a huge root down there .. Why do you not use it for cooking? Do you have any particular reason.
@kevin1877uk (36989)
No I haven't maybe I should.
@sofssu (14952)
@kevin1877uk I love the heat it brings to the food.. we usually use a lot of ginger in the colder months. Maybe you should give it a try.