Quaker Oats

By Sky
@skysnap (17820)
I have started to like the quaker oats and I have tried different ways to prepare it. However I wonder what else I can eat apart from the oats. I am on low sweet food and low calorie type diet. And though weight is not under control I wish to get it as soon as possible. That being said, quaker oats can be really boring after some times. I need to find other healthy recipes soon. Or else I will be drawn back to high calorie food back again.
I like it with some fruit in it.
@skysnap (17820)
Yes it tastes good with banana and milk. and yet to try the grapes or cherry with it.
@owlwings (39110)
• Cambridge, England
My favourite way of eating oats is as Swiss Muesli. You soak the oats overnight (in either milk or water) and add more milk to make the consistency to your taste, add chopped fresh fruit (apple or banana are my favourites), some lemon juice, a handful of sultanas or chopped apricots and some chopped nuts. I usually sweeten with sugar or honey but you could use Stevia or Splenda. This also works very well with almond milk instead of regular milk and toasting the oats lightly before soaking gives a nuttier flavour. I much prefer this recipe to porridge (though porridge is good in the winter) and it is far nicer than the so-called "Muesli" which you can buy as an instant cereal in packets.
@skysnap (17820)
I have to try this one. I have once tried kellogs museli but it didn't taste much good. So decided to go for the normal oats with chili powder in it.
@owlwings (39110)
• Cambridge, England
@skysnap It would never occur to me to use chilli! I know that the Scots eat their porridge with salt (something I've never tried).
I am looking for sultanas and even ordered some online. I wanted those that had seeds in it. I wonder if such are still available.
I like eating oatmeal with a viand to go with it . I substitute the rice with oatmeal that's why .
@skysnap (17820)
Ah I see. I wonder what else can we do with oatmeal. I mean like porridge or something?
@skysnap I actually just do it the same way - putting powdered milk and a bit of sugar . Well, some people makes cookies out of oatmeal . And we have these quaker oats cookies flavored , apple and cinnamon in the market already and they are delicious . .
@wiLLmaH (8251)
• Singapore, Singapore
Oats is good to lower down cholesterol level in our body. Why not put some fresh fruit like mango or banana?
@skysnap (17820)
Banana would add some sugar level .. Mango is seasonal. So have to find some other fruit like apple.
@AkoPinay (11714)
I eat instant quaker oats when feeling lazy to cook or if I want to lose weight hehe
@scheng1 (24806)
You can try adding milk to it, or even yogurt to it. I think you can add some nuts and raisins, but in moderation. Raisins are quite sweet, but when add to oat, you will find the plain taste of oat becomes much nicer.