How About Some Grits?

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
Although I was born and brought up in a French-Canadian-slash-Franco-American househould in southern Maine (USA), I've always enjoyed experimenting with foods from other cultures. One in particular that has its roots firmly in the Deep South is grits. If I've learned anything at all about grits is that they are only as good as how you make them. If you don't use the right proportions of water or milk, they either turn out too thick and sticky or runny and watery. A byproduct of dried corn, grits resemble finely-ground white cornmeal and are prepared much the same as the hot cereal known as Cream of Wheat. It's available as regular, or long-cooking grits, or as quick grits that cook up in just a few minutes. You can either microwave them or cook them on top of the stove. I've found that stove-top cooking, which takes a bit longer, produces a much creamier less gritty product. In the south, grits can accompany a plate of fried chicken or boiled greens. They are also often part of breakfast alongside fried eggs and bacon or sausage. I like them topped with either a fried or a poached egg, and just a little salt and pepper. Here in the U.S., the only grits I've ever found on supermarket shelves are put out by the Quaker Company, the same of oatmeal fame. If nothing else, grits are a good choice for folks who should avoid spicy or greasy foods. And it contains lots of important nutrients, too!
• Pleasant Hill, California
when I was in the South, I found myself liking grits best when I treated them like oatmeal. A bit of milk and brown sugar saved the day for me.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@TheHorse I've never had them like that. Must try it.
@gudheart (12752)
I thought they were a potato fried dish. Not sure I have never had any to be honest!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Not related to potatoes at all. They're finely ground dried corn and usually white. Has a very very bland flavor that pairs well with cheese, sauces, gravies, etc. If they're cooked the right way, they're not "gritty" at all.
@gudheart (12752)
@Raelove Shows how much I know!! LOL
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I love grits and usually have a bowl every morning for breakfast.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@simone Considering you live in Arkansas, that comes as no surprise!
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove this is true! I lived in Tennessee most of my life and whenever my Mom would fix breakfast on Sunday, it always included a big bowl of grits.
Somehow the word "grits" itself always turned me off.
@sofssu (14462)
I have heard of it though I have never tasted it.